Has HAL ever been to Burma?

Vict0riann

I am doing some research on our stop in Rangoon, and wondered if other HAL travellers had ever been in Rangoon? It seems to be a new port of call. Our visit will be from 4 a.m. day 1, to 11 p.m. day 2. My DH was born in Rangoon, and wants to do as much as we possibly can, and I wondered about timing as far as Immigration, etc. If HAL has never stopped there before, procedures may take longer, I would think. Thanks for any advice.

I am doing some research on our stop in Rangoon, and wondered if other HAL travellers had ever been in Rangoon? It seems to be a new port of call. Our visit will be from 4 a.m. day 1, to 11 p.m. day 2. My DH was born in Rangoon, and wants to do as much as we possibly can, and I wondered about timing as far as Immigration, etc. If HAL has never stopped there before, procedures may take longer, I would think. Thanks for any advice.

The SS Rotterdam has been there on worldcruises, but that was back in the 90's

Thanks, Chrispb, I know, it's a beautiful country. Both DH and I have spent time there. DH was born in Rangoon, and also lived in Mandalay as a child, worked in Rangoon and Mudon in the 80's, and I have visited. This time we will be on the Volendam, with our DD, my SIL and her husband. SIL was also born in Rangoon, etc., and our hope was that we could organize a visit to the homes they lived in, as well as squeeze in a few sights in both Yangon and Mandalay. I wondered how late disembarkation would be, if we arrive at 4 a.m! You never know what the bureaucracy will require from the ship, if it's a first-time visit. I suppose we will just have to wait and see what HAL tells us. They are starting to describe shore excursions.

Thanks, Chrispb, I know, it's a beautiful country. Both DH and I have spent time there. DH was born in Rangoon, and also lived in Mandalay as a child, worked in Rangoon and Mudon in the 80's, and I have visited. This time we will be on the Volendam, with our DD, my SIL and her husband. SIL was also born in Rangoon, etc., and our hope was that we could organize a visit to the homes they lived in, as well as squeeze in a few sights in both Yangon and Mandalay. I wondered how late disembarkation would be, if we arrive at 4 a.m! You never know what the bureaucracy will require from the ship, if it's a first-time visit. I suppose we will just have to wait and see what HAL tells us. They are starting to describe shore excursions.

Lucky you, it's a country where I would love an extended stay. People who visited back in the 70s & 80s have remarked upon the changes which are happening so quickly. I just hope it doesn't go the way of Thailand (which I'm also very fond of).

The PRINSENDAM was there I THINK in 2006

Thanks. I thought I would go back in CC and see if anything was written about it - going as far back as I could, I could only go to February of this year! That was page 54. Amazing!

Thanks. I thought I would go back in CC and see if anything was written about it - going as far back as I could, I could only go to February of this year! That was page 54. Amazing!

Check your settings; you should be able to go back much further than that.

However, it's probable that you won't find much before June 2004. At that time CC did a complete overhaul, and everything before that was lost to time. A few threads that started prior to June 2004, but had later posts, were retained. But that's about it.

Go down to the bottom of the HAL page, left side, and see what you have listed as the parameters of what is shown. Those can be changed.

Rangoon (Yangon) is a very interesting city -- the golden temple, worth a whole memory card. Not to be missed, even if you have to arrange the visit entirely yourself, is the plains of Bagan (also spelled Pagan). More than 1,000 of the previous 4,000 pagodas are still standing. Unforgettable.

• 2 months later...
I suppose we will just have to wait and see what HAL tells us. They are starting to describe shore excursions.
You could probably get more in if you used a private guide. Have you checked on your Roll Call to see what others are doing?

Archived