Sunshine - Overpayment of port taxes

Flying Scot

I've read that people on the inaugural 12 day Sunsihne cruise from Venice got a pretty hefty $115 obc per person for overpayment of port taxes. Is this a mistake they made only on the inaugural or across the board???

My family of 4 are on the 16/6 12 day from Venice and I remember at the time of booking that I thought the taxes were affy high but I put this down to the fact we had 10 ports.

I'm sure I've just read that someone on the nine night one got $75 back too. It's on the best and worst sunshine thread.

Taxes are around $620 on the 12 night. So I would be interested to know too. That's for three.

This is what has been posted

So we checked in at the Guest Services about our bill and realized we had a bunch of credit. $50 each for the pool, etc and another $70 each for some tax mess up or something. $240 total so I will take it.

A Disney 12 night cruise in July for three is showing taxes and fess if £143. For three people.

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) is sailing "Sunshine" on the 12 day Med Cruise, and I just looked at her billing. She is paying $229 in taxes, and port charges for her cruise, which seems perfectly normal to me. (She's sailing solo)

"SKY"

Had a look around elsewhere to see who is charging what.

Princess.co.uk is charging £182 for three on a 12 nighter in July for three, similar ports to ours. So roughly $274

Celebrity is $270 for 12 nighter for three more expensive than what we paid.

RCL $386 again total cruise more than carnival.

So asked on this is does appear Carnival port charges and taxes are higher, but I can't compare exactly as all the cruises stop at slightly different ports.

It will be a nice surprise if we do get something back.:D

Had a look around elsewhere to see who is charging what.

Princess.co.uk is charging £182 for three on a 12 nighter in July for three, similar ports to ours. So roughly $274

Celebrity is $270 for 12 nighter for three more expensive than what we paid.

RCL $386 again total cruise more than carnival.

So asked on this is does appear Carnival port charges are higher, but I can't compare exactly as all the cruises stop at slightly different ports.

It will be a nice surprise if we do get something back.:D

Several people are throwing around terms in a mixed up way.

The add on fees and taxes are NOT port charges which are part of your cruise fare, so the people commenting on port fees are confused (TAs call them NCFs, noncommionable fare).

The add on fees and taxes seem to be what people are comparing.

Lets talk apples to apples and not throw in port fees.

Now it could be that some port fees were refunded above .. but that has nothing to do with the chatter here about the add on fees and taxes that people are comparing.

I do notice that RCL almost always has higher add on taxes and fees than Carnival. Always wondered why.

The add on fees and taxes are NOT port charges which are part of your cruise fare, so the people commenting on port fees are confused (TAs call them NCFs, noncommionable fare).

The add on fees and taxes seem to be what people are comparing.

Lets talk apples to apples and not throw in port fees.

Now it could be that some port fees were refunded above .. but that has nothing to do with the chatter here about the add on fees and taxes that people are comparing.

I do notice that RCL almost always has higher add on taxes and fees than Carnival. Always wondered why.

I have amended my post to say and taxes. I think we are all quoting the extras tat is at the bottom of the price schedule. So after net price of the cabins the add in which includes port fees taxes snd goodness knows whatelse does appear higher. Like i said above some are different oirts of call to ours, but most if the other cruise lines are lower than ours and all of the cruises that i have looked at are more expensive. We will find out if we have been overcharged when we board. We are not all experts you know, so sorry.

Not sure how those fees/taxes are managed.

We have taken the same three day itin over 13 times and always had this type OBC. The amount has varied but we have always had something.

HMM,,just looking at the "itemized charges" on my "Breeze" guest confirmation, and it says, "Government taxes/fees*

*"Government Fees and Taxes" may include any and all fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed by U.S. and/or foreigh governmental or quasi-governmental authorities including, but not limited to U.S. Customs fees, Port Fees, pilotage, air taxes, hotel or VAT taxes incurred as part of a land tour, etc. etc.,etc.

"SKY"

Archived