My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hey Gary,

I think I can help you. I fly into Jamaica multiple times per year, as my husband lives in Jamaica. For the most part I take the same flight, and I land at around 1:30pm local time. Once I have flown early and landed around 11:30 local time. The longest I have ever waited was 40 minutes, and thats with what most would consider to be pretty long lines at peak times (1:30). The time I landed at 11:30, I was thru immigration and waiting outside for the hubby within 20 minutes. I personally would never pay extra for Club Mobay, but some people dont like to wait more then 10 minutes. Its all up to you. I feel like when many planes arrive at once, they try to go thru as fast as they can. The airport isnt that horrible, I don't mind it at all really.

Hope that helps! I fly home from JA on the 18th, so I will just miss you at the airport !

Thanks for the reply, I will have to check and see how many flights arrive around the same time, we dont want to stand around for a couple of hours after an overnight flight from Victoria via Seattle and Atlanta. We will likelyuse Club Mobay on our departure as our flight is not until mid-afternoon and it might be a good place to relax.

I have never stood around for a few hours at the airport.. lol.. but after that long of a flight, Club Mobay would be an option for sure to get thru the lines quickly. But, keep in mind, you might have to wait for your luggage. Becuase you go thru immigration, then have to get your luggage, then go thru customs before you make it out. So really it just saves time at immigration.

I cant comment on it for departure. I show up at the airport 45 minutes before my flights home, and then wait with my husband up until 15 mins before boarding then go thru security.

Enjoy your trip! I am taking the husband on the cruise from the 9-16 of January, but I am in Jamaica from the 30th of December and fly out on the 18th.

I realize that I had started a separate thread for the 25 day Louis Cristal cruise from Piraeus to Cuba. But as I was the only contributor and as the ship is making it's first Cuban stop for the 2014-5 season, I may as well add any comment on this thread. We were prepared for a low passenger compliment for this first crossing it being a new venture not unlike the low numbers experienced last season with the 7 day cruises. But with not least of all word of mouth, all indications are that this upcoming season is going to be so much better. So we will have to relate that to the crossing next year.

As I said we were prepared for a low crossing turnout but when we were advised that we will be be less than 100 passengers on a ship designed for over 1,000, we didn't know whether or not to be thankful or fearful or what. I mean I have been on a tender holding more passengers... Has anyone been in this situation on a cruise at 10% capacity and if so can you tell us a little about the circumstances of life aboard?

Edited by ONT-CA

It looks like it's tough to get CUCs if you are coming from the States. They can only be purchased in Cuba (correct ?) and a 10% premium is charged for US dollars to be converted. One thought is to convert US to Jamaica $ before I board in Mobay and then convert the J$ to CUC in Cuba. That could be done but my time in Mobay is short. I do have some Euros and Pounds Sterling. I can convert those. Another option is to convert US$ to Canadian$ with other travelers and then convert the Canadian$ to CUC. None of it is pretty. Any ideas ??

Secondly, how will everyone handle the Cuban health insurance issue ? Purchase it for the trip or for each day ashore ? Where to buy it and costs ?? I see it for $3.50 PP per day with a $3 premium per day if over 70 years of age.

Call me cheap !!!! Thanks.

It looks like it's tough to get CUCs if you are coming from the States. They can only be purchased in Cuba (correct ?) and a 10% premium is charged for US dollars to be converted. One thought is to convert US to Jamaica $ before I board in Mobay and then convert the J$ to CUC in Cuba. That could be done but my time in Mobay is short. I do have some Euros and Pounds Sterling. I can convert those. Another option is to convert US$ to Canadian$ with other travelers and then convert the Canadian$ to CUC. None of it is pretty. Any ideas ??

Secondly, how will everyone handle the Cuban health insurance issue ? Purchase it for the trip or for each day ashore ? Where to buy it and costs ?? I see it for $3.50 PP per day with a $3 premium per day if over 70 years of age.

Call me cheap !!!! Thanks.

I would suggest you chance your $US to $CA or Euros at your own bank before leaving home. You can convert it to CUC at your first port after Montego Bay.

Ours is on the 26. Just booked 4 nights pre cruise in Havana and one after plus Air. All more than we thought but now we are pumped!:D

Where did you book? One of our Casas Particulares cost us $35 CUC a night, the other $30. :) They are both highly recommended and should be a lot of fun, staying with Cubans. Our host will give us a private tour and after dinner (which we hear is better than most Cuban restaurants) he puts on the salsa and we dance.:D

My historian husband will want to march around the old town about 12 hours a day and I will only be good for 3 or 4, so we wanted something in the old part so we could go back and forth constantly. (I need a new knee!) I also really benefit from swimming and we found a three star with a big pool but an old hotel with charm. More expensive than the casas but less than the equivalent in Canada. If we love it we will try a casa next time!

My historian husband will want to march around the old town about 12 hours a day and I will only be good for 3 or 4, so we wanted something in the old part so we could go back and forth constantly. (I need a new knee!) I also really benefit from swimming and we found a three star with a big pool but an old hotel with charm. More expensive than the casas but less than the equivalent in Canada. If we love it we will try a casa next time!

I kneed two... :D but age and girth make it unlikely. That is why last season we chose and will choose again a full service hotel. Our enquiries after the casas were met with "lovely room on the second floor" "top floor room with nice view" Stairs stairs stairs... As you say a three or four star hotel is a steal in comparison to what we pay at home.

I kneed two... :D but age and girth make it unlikely. That is why last season we chose and will choose again a full service hotel. Our enquiries after the casas were met with "lovely room on the second floor" "top floor room with nice view" Stairs stairs stairs... As you say a three or four star hotel is a steal in comparison to what we pay at home.

Love that! "Kneed two". Its a chicken & egg thing. With decent knees our girth would diminish ad we would feel younger!!

Has anyone else noticed that the Cristal appears to have been "docked" for the last several days at Syros. I wondered if they are putting on the flowers....

Exactly. Plus they will be cleaning and polishing her for the upcoming season. Last season, after having painted the logo flowers, they sailed warts and all and the service crew were utilized to do the job during the crossing. We were told it was arduous work but a job well done. As we will be passengers aboard this crossing, the seven days will be needed to prepare her for sailing (and of course to apply the stickers)

Edited by ONT-CA

Ours is on the 26. Just booked 4 nights pre cruise in Havana and one after plus Air. All more than we thought but now we are pumped!:D

Liz54 - Looking forward to meeting you on Jan 26. My sister and I will be 4 days in Varadero before the cruise. After beach time there we will bus it to Havana to board the ship. Two days post cruise, one in Havana with a local guide and one on an excursion to Las Terrazas. It is another world heritage site just west of Havana. Then back on the bus headed for Matanzas City for an overnight stay and off to the Varadero airport in the morning. So, we will have quite an adventure. Being my second time on this cruise, I am excited about seeing new sights and experiencing as much of this amazing country as I can.:)

That is a complicated schedule! I found organizing a bit of a challenge. Did not realize how much we rely on US travel sites for planning. Have finally convinced my sister (usual cruise companion) to join us. She is hoping to book an inside near us. We have the big suite so come for a glass of wine on that big deck!

Just for the heck of it I looked at availability each week leaving from Havana. The weekly results starting 12/22:

139, 176, 108, 41, 54, 28, 94, 75, , 62, 105, 61, 87.

Looks like the sailings from Jan 12 until March 3 are selling well.

I had a look at what was available from Montego Bay starting from 12/19. The results are:

164, 97, 116, 48, 43, 69, 47, 82, 83, 74, 87, 84

Looks like no shortage of space from either Montego Bay or Havana.

I had a look at what was available from Montego Bay starting from 12/19. The results are:

164, 97, 116, 48, 43, 69, 47, 82, 83, 74, 87, 84

Looks like no shortage of space from either Montego Bay or Havana.

Back in September I had a look at what was available on the date that I was leaving Montego Bay (23 Jan 15) on that date they had 109 various cabins availble from Montego Bay. Today they have 69 available. Very few sales below Category XC.

Havana sailings starting Dec. 22. Bookings 11/15 - 11/21. Old/new.

139/132, 176/167, 108/110, 41/32, 54/54, 28/14, 94/90, 75/73 , 62/55, 105/97, 61/49, 87/79.

78 new bookings in 6 days.

Where are you finding this info?

Havana sailings starting Dec. 22. Bookings 11/15 - 11/21. Old/new.

139/132, 176/167, 108/110, 41/32, 54/54, 28/14, 94/90, 75/73 , 62/55, 105/97, 61/49, 87/79.

78 new bookings in 6 days.

Is it any wonder? Just look out the window....

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/_79132675_79116476.jpg

Edited by ONT-CA