My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

When you go ashore at Antilla you will find this cafe just beyond the wharf.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Antilla.34.jpg

We discovered this place two seasons ago and these people have put their hearts into making a go of their new little business. Great cold drinks at very low prices with live Cuban music. If you venture there for lunch, and ship staff and officers will be there doing just that, the catch of the day was delicious and a unique experience. Bottle rum is also sold which we brought aboard without question.

These folks may have heard already that their little jewel of a town will be excluded from the cruise itinerary for next year which I'm sure will be devastating for them.

Edited by ONT-CA

We arrived back from Havana this past weekend and I would like to thank all those who gave info, tips, etc. on this board. It really helped us as first-timers to Cuba.

The cruise was great!!

Sure, there were a few minor annoyances but nothing to get really upset about. We had some problems with our door not locking but our cabin steward had the repairmen fix it in no time. The toilet paper situation is no big deal for us as our daughter lives on a Gulf Island here in BC, is on septic and her only source of water is rainwater collected in a cistern.

Food, entertainment and service were very good and the atmosphere generally was warm and friendly. There were quite a few Canadians, a large group from Norway, Luxembourgers, Germans, Dutch, Jamaican, English, Turkish, American and, no doubt, many others who I didn't meet.

We took the excursion to Biran which was our favourite by far. We also enjoyed swimming at Punta Frances. So I guess we are lucky that we took the cruise when we did.

Again, a huge THANK YOU to all of you who took the time to post info on the board.

We took the excursion to Biran which was our favourite by far.

That was our favourite, too. :)

Knowing who Fidel became, I found it very interesting to see what kind of a background he came from. We heard so many personal stories, that the guides really gave us a feeling for this man, and why he was who he was.

Aside from the visit to the Castro estate, the entire day was extremely pleasant and informative.

That was our favourite, too. :)

Knowing who Fidel became, I found it very interesting to see what kind of a background he came from. We heard so many personal stories, that the guides really gave us a feeling for this man, and why he was who he was.

Aside from the visit to the Castro estate, the entire day was extremely pleasant and informative.

That's exactly what we thought!

Hi all!

barnsdall ~ glad you enjoyed your cruise! I was going to Biran but got sick

so had to cancel.:( If I understand next year's itinerary correctly this excursion & the beach will both be gone. That'll be a shame as so many enjoyed it. I loved the Cuba Life tour, also from Antilla, last year.

Wow, the person who wrote the latest review sure didn't like the ship!:eek:

Doesn't sound like the same ship I was on!!

Here's the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=273604

Check out burm's review while over there, it's a good one.

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

Wow, the person who wrote the latest review sure didn't like the ship!:eek:

Doesn't sound like the same ship I was on!!

Here's the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=273604

Check out burm's review while over there, it's a good one.

Chimo!

Hi Jo!

That linked review was really harsh. I'd like to know what they usually cruise on to give the food, entertainment and overall all ones.

Good job with yours Burm.

Thank you, Kerri and Jo.

Jo, Biran might still be possible next year.

JM was told that the ship would stop in Gibara, which might still make this excursion possible. I hope so.

Gibara actually sounds very nice.

Every traveller's favorite, Gibara la Perla Hermosa, this lovely pearl of a town is a small, charming and quiet cocoon by the sea, wrapped by hills and woven with culture.

Thank you, Kerri and Jo.

Jo, Biran might still be possible next year.

JM was told that the ship would stop in Gibara, which might still make this excursion possible. I hope so.

Gibara actually sounds very nice.

Every traveller's favorite, Gibara la Perla Hermosa, this lovely pearl of a town is a small, charming and quiet cocoon by the sea, wrapped by hills and woven with culture.

First and foremost, a great informative review of the trip with but one question. I note the accommodations only received a 3. Any particular glitch(s)? I think you know how we feel about that SI cabin. We have already booked an SI for 2016.

The 2016 itinerary map does not include a Gibara at least that I can see but does show Maria de Gorda. I hope your information is more current.

Chimo

Edited by ONT-CA

First and foremost, a great informative review of the trip with but one question. I note the accommodations only received a 3. Any particular glitch(s)? I think you know how we feel about that SI cabin. We have already booked an SI for 2016.

The 2016 itinerary map does not include a Gibara at least that I can see but does show Maria de Gorda. I hope your information is more current.

Must go to the web site! I did not know bookings were open for 2016!

I note the accommodations only received a 3. Any particular glitch(s)?

I only had one problem with the SI cabin, and for me that was huge- it was the fact that I practically had to stand on my tippy toes to see over that darned solid railing that was perhaps slightly over 4 ft high (I am 5'1"). Sitting at the table, on a chaise lounge, or in the hot tub, you would see nothing but sky. Water, what water? Have we left the port yet? Let me walk 15 ft and peek over to the railing to see.

For us, the major benefit of a balcony is the view, and on this otherwise splendid deck, there really was none. I would have happily traded my "dance floor" for a standard size balcony where I could sit and watch the world go by.

On the other hand, anyone who values privacy above all would love this deck. It would be the perfect place to work on an all over tan.

A few very minor and inexpensive modifications at the time this suite was designed could have turned it into a 5.

I only had one problem with the SI cabin, and for me that was huge- it was the fact that I practically had to stand on my tippy toes to see over that darned solid railing that was perhaps slightly over 4 ft high (I am 5'1"). Sitting at the table, on a chaise lounge, or in the hot tub, you would see nothing but sky. Water, what water? Have we left the port yet? Let me walk 15 ft and peek over to the railing to see.

For us, the major benefit of a balcony is the view, and on this otherwise splendid deck, there really was none. I would have happily traded my "dance floor" for a standard size balcony where I could sit and watch the world go by.

On the other hand, anyone who values privacy above all would love this deck. It would be the perfect place to work on an all over tan.

A few very minor and inexpensive modifications at the time this suite was designed could have turned it into a 5.

I have to agree with you there. One can understand why these two cabins were chosen for the personal security of VIP's. The fact that they are located at the bow of the ship must necessitate the steel hull construction of the "railing". Plus the design deflects the winds and ocean spray which can be fierce and heavy. I have pondered redesigns incorporating glass panels but what a disaster that would be in their breaking. Way way back in this thread I half jokingly photoshop four swivel bar stools into a photo of the SI deck, fastening them to the floor, up against the shelf railing. (Photo since removed) That could have been a great answer to the problem unless of course there were to be children about and therefore a no-no. Back to the drawing board.

Could not agree more. When modifying I would increase the size of the bedroom and reduce the balcony a bit!

I have to agree with you there. One can understand why these two cabins were chosen for the personal security of VIP's. The fact that they are located at the bow of the ship must necessitate the steel hull construction of the "railing". Plus the design deflects the winds and ocean spray which can be fierce and heavy. I have pondered redesigns incorporating glass panels but what a disaster that would be in their breaking. Way way back in this thread I half jokingly photoshop four swivel bar stools into a photo of the SI deck, fastening them to the floor, up against the shelf railing. (Photo since removed) That could have been a great answer to the problem unless of course there were to be children about and therefore a no-no. Back to the drawing board.

Hmmm. I like your idea of the bar stools. :D

The public deck immediately below has bar type railings at the normal height, so there is probably no practical reason why they could not be used here as well.

You, Ron, are probably a foot taller than I, so cannot fully appreciate how awkward it was to barely see over the railing, even when standing. I have never seen such a high railing before, on any ship. Maybe I should have asked for a step stool? LOL

Hmmm. I like your idea of the bar stools. :D

The public deck immediately below has bar type railings at the normal height, so there is probably no practical reason why they could not be used here as well.

You, Ron, are probably a foot taller than I, so cannot fully appreciate how awkward it was to barely see over the railing, even when standing. I have never seen such a high railing before, on any ship. Maybe I should have asked for a step stool? LOL

When we were discussing the position of the Bridge to the deck I used a photo to show that relationship by the position of the shadow. This photo indicates the type of steel wall (one cannot refer to it a railing per se) and I think that by attaching it here again will help those contemplating the SI to better understand the design.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/LouisCristal.jpg

But also here is a shot of the forward structure of the ship and I think you can appreciate why there can be no open railing extending forward so. The open railing of the deck below only pertains to the sides of the ship not the bow.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/LOUISCRISTALbow_20120718_010-vi.jpg

You are right, I am tall enough to place elbows on the wooden railing to gaze out which I did often but with a wish I had something to sit upon. An inflatable cushion placed on one of the folding chairs might just do that and so will give that some thought for the next cruise. I know of no other line that does or can offer such space as a SI for that money. Yes, there are drawbacks but we have never in all our cruising history had such luxurious accommodations.

And I'll add a footnote here to advise those seeking bookings for 2016 that "as the ship will now rotate in the opposite direction", port side will be made available for those boarding in Havana while the starboard side will be for those coming aboard in Montego Bay. Why? I haven't the slightest....

Hi all!

Liz54 ~ are you taking the Cuba cruise again next year?

burm ~ on the CC website the new place is called Maria La Gorda, is that the same as Gibara?:confused: MLG is in Pinar del Rio area.

Kerri ~ I tried to find out about that poster's other cruises but she's a new poster with only this review to her name.

Talking about reviews, I finished mine last night & when I tried to submit it nothing happened. Sure hope I didn't lose the whole thing. It was hard to comment on the ports since I only found Havana listed amongst the choices.

Have a nice weekend as we hopefully head to warmer temps.

Edited by retiring soon
correction

burm ~ on the CC website the new place is called Maria La Gorda, is that the same as Gibara?:confused: MLG is in Pinar del Rio area.

I was excited when you said they would be going to Maria la Gorda, which would be the new beach day, replacing Isla de la Juventud, because Maria la G is known for it's excellent snorkelling and diving.

Then I realized that there Gibara was not mentioned, or Antilla! They are totally by-passing the Holguin area. That is a real shame.

In my eyes, the value of this cruise is diminished with these changes. If you want to spend extra time in Havana, you can fly in early. There is no way you can easily take a side trip to the Holguin area.

Hi again!

I just submitted my review = novel!:o

burm ~ I have to agree with you there. People were loving Antilla, a real Cuban town where we left from for those 2 amazing tours (3 counting Cat's). What will happen to the local people now they've tasted tourism & suddenly it's gone?

The beach at MLG looks nice but there seem to be buildings there so not the "private island" experience that so many seemed to enjoy at Isla de la Juventud, judging by the scarcity of empty loungers.;)

The overnight in Havana makes sense as that's what most people really want to see.

Oh well, what can you do?! I wonder why Your Cuba Cruise is making these changes.:confused:

Chimo

Hi again!

I just submitted my review = novel!:o

burm ~ I have to agree with you there. People were loving Antilla, a real Cuban town where we left from for those 2 amazing tours (3 counting Cat's). What will happen to the local people now they've tasted tourism & suddenly it's gone?

The beach at MLG looks nice but there seem to be buildings there so not the "private island" experience that so many seemed to enjoy at Isla de la Juventud, judging by the scarcity of empty loungers.;)

The overnight in Havana makes sense as that's what most people really want to see.

Oh well, what can you do?! I wonder why Your Cuba Cruise is making these changes.:confused:

Chimo

From the negative comments on this site as well as others pertaining to the quality of the cabin accommodations one wonders if the authors have done their booking homework. In many cases the very lowest priced cabin is chosen with disappointing result. But, for a few more Canadian dollars, they could have something much better. Yes, I realize that not everyone has the disposable income to upgrade but one must evaluate the actual costs to do just that. If you are going to spend all that money on air travel to get to the cruise why penny pinch on accommodation.

Here are a few PP examples: As far as inside cabins are concerned, a Standard lA booking could be changed to a Deluxe lE for an additional $48. a week. As far as the Outsides are concerned, changing from a Standard to a Superior is an additional $24., to a Premium an additional $108., and to a Deluxe an additional $169.

The great thing about the Cristal is that there is so much variety to choose from. I feel that those who look at the posted varieties and prices and say, “we only sleep in there so that’s good enough” and then complain for whatever reason should look to the total availability to see just how little the costs would be for more room and comfort.

Hi once more!

Sorry for the duplicate post. it didn't seem to be taking so I clicked again & then copied so was coming back to post!:eek:

Ron ~ good points! Some of those interior cabins look really small but some do have a nice mural on the wall. I really like the XE, it suited us fine as quite often I sail in an inside so having that big window, a fridge, a sofa, cupboards & a shower with a door was great.