My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Thanks for the info, I didn't know we had a choice.

I think it's best to just do it. If we've done our P to P registration, itshouldn't be an issue. There has never been a guarantee that not stamping the passport really worked. I don't know what the tech level is at immigration, but with all the scanning of passports electronically, i think more is known of our travels than we think.

This thread is completely dizzying, I wish Cruise Critic would get us a separate category for Cuba Cruise. Oh well, I'm slowly reading through this entire thread to make sure I don't miss anything. Though it seems a lot has already changed from last season to this season.

Its a long shot, but I'll ask on here. My wife will be traveling on her Venezuelan passport and the customer service reps at Cuba Cruise are not sure if they can get her a tourist card has everyone else had good luck with getting a tourist card if you are a citizen of more unique locations besides USA, Canada, and UK?. They are supposed to be calling me back with the information. If they can't I guess we'll be making a weekend trip to Washington D.C. to visit the Cuban embassy.

This thread is completely dizzying, I wish Cruise Critic would get us a separate category for Cuba Cruise. Oh well, I'm slowly reading through this entire thread to make sure I don't miss anything. Though it seems a lot has already changed from last season to this season.

Its a long shot, but I'll ask on here. My wife will be traveling on her Venezuelan passport and the customer service reps at Cuba Cruise are not sure if they can get her a tourist card has everyone else had good luck with getting a tourist card if you are a citizen of more unique locations besides USA, Canada, and UK?. They are supposed to be calling me back with the information. If they can't I guess we'll be making a weekend trip to Washington D.C. to visit the Cuban embassy.

Have you checked the "roll call board for other cruise lines". There is a roll call for Jan 22, though others are using it - I just found it today. At least it's not as long as this one - I think information from the last two years is helpful as reviews for the cruise in general but totally outdated as far as specifics. I think the information from about July on is starting to have more up-to-date information (though whether it's final information, I'm not so sure).

A noted point of interest for the US passengers joining the cruise; The officials at the Cuban immigration tables, upon seeing a US passport placed before them, held their stamp above it and waited for the passenger to state if he should or should not stamp it. The officers then followed the passenger's request. Be prepared to answer this animated question.

I think it's best to just do it. If we've done our P to P registration, it shouldn't be an issue. . .

I know someone, a U.S. citizen, who traveled to Cuba last year under the radar screen. In other words, it was not an authorized visit under the People to People program.

He paid $300 USD to the immigration agent to NOT stamp his and his girlfriend's passport.

What a difference a year makes.

Woody

I know someone, a U.S. citizen, who traveled to Cuba last year under the radar screen. In other words, it was not an authorized visit under the People to People program.

He paid $300 USD to the immigration agent to NOT stamp his and his girlfriend's passport.

Woody

There have also been stories of several thousand $$ fines if the US government did find out about the trip - just not worth it, plus not really into breaking the law. I'm not crazy about a $95 required DONATION when our itinerary should supply the needed documentation, especially with the detailed schedule of People to People programs listed. BUT, we will do it if we are required to do so. I think it may be Cuba Cruise that is requiring that to cover their licensing for carrying Americans even though they don't seem to require it for sailing in MB.

... I think it may be Cuba Cruise that is requiring that to cover their licensing for carrying Americans even though they don't seem to require it for sailing in MB.

Because the Crystal does not currently call upon any US ports, it is not subject to the regulations applied to those lines that do. So in essence and as this cruise was initially a Canadian adventure, the ship could carry any nationality, including Americans, and were not subject to the conditions of the embargo.

On our previous Cuba cruises there were US citizens aboard who, as mentioned, declined having their passport stamped, some of whom having since indicated that they returned home from Montego Bay without incident. But there is little question in my mind that the passenger lists are not immune to external review.

So all pre sailing preparations, declarations and additional costs permitting US citizens to visit Cuba as a cultural People to People activity is the requirement of the US government and unrelated to the carrier.

Chimo

PS With the transfer of the Crystal from Louis to Celestyl there may be future plans that could involve calls to ports within the US and so perhaps Celestyl is applying these US government requirements now with that goal in mind

Edited by ONT-CA

:) Some interesting questions are posed regarding stamp/no stamp in one's passport. If you're going to declare, to US Customs, the importation of up to $400 worth of stuff from Cuba (of which up to $100 can be booze/tobacco), the stamp doesn't matter. I think the $95 P2P registration for U.S. Citizens is now a requirement of Cuba Cruise. (yourcubacruise.com then "Your Cuba" then "Travelling to Cuba") So, I think it's of value. I have Global Entry and could avoid the letter, but I'm not!

Got my e-ticket today. Embarkation and Deparkation times are different in the e-ticket and Pre-departure information. Not of any importance.

Agreed, if one is to make such a declaration then the required US authorization to enter Cuba must be available. But there are other times and other trips where your travel history may raise an eyebrow. In addition to the many stamps located in our passports are attached visas required for various countries. When presenting our passports to immigration officers at various locales we have at times seen additional interest shown especially now with the four repetitive Cuban stamps. If not wishing to have this stamp placed in your passport, the option that was being offered by the Cuban Immigration was a nice jester we thought.

I am in the midst of packing for our upcoming month long trip to Bermuda, our winter in South Carolina and a move from our permanent home in mid-December. Trying to decide what goes where has been quite confusing and looking at boxes everywhere is off-putting. Hence I have been finding limited time for internet. What a lot of posts since I last logged on.

I am hoping that I will find some time when we are relaxing in Bermuda to take a good long look at excursions. Now that our friends are going to be doing the People to People ones, we will likely do our own thing but will need to make plans for that too.

Welcome aboard Kahtrav. I see that this sailing seems to be sold out, but do not know if that situation is from Havana or from MoBay, or both. We have decided to hold off on our final payment until December 23, in order to build up our bank account again. With the state of our currency, it is great to have the payment due in CDN and not the greenback.

Nikki

Woody

First my apologies for the cacography, "jester" instead of gesture, as my omnipotent computer spell check, being clairvoyant and all knowing, inserts what it assumes I am attempting to type. :D

We too were financially hit upon when first landing in Havana to catch the Crystal cruise, however not to such a large extent. The personnel at the airport can recognize a newbee arrival and may "suggest" some form of renumeration for the return your passport. A stern glance from above the upper frame of your glasses or similar demonstration ends that charede immediately. All charges applicable to entering the country have at that point been prepaid.

The passport stamping I am referring to is at the tables set up aboard the ship to accommodate the immigration officers. With so many people about they wouldn't dare try anything like that. Should the officer not offer you the option of stamping, speak up and tell him you do not wish it stamped and/or hold your hand out, palm down, to so indicate that. They fully understand your concerns.

Chimo

Edited by ONT-CA

:)I am on the pre-Christmas cruise. It will my first time to Cuba and on this line. I have cruised with Holland America quite a bit and hope this is just as enjoyable.

Hi Aqhaone and CruiseDirections - My husband and I will be on this one too! So excited to visit Cuba for the first time. We'll be spending three nights in Jamaica before the cruise and then spending Christmas in FL with family.

I'm guessing the ship might be pretty empty until we get to Havana and pick up the first group of the season to board there.

Edited by World Juggler
spelling

Hi World Juggler, I am Nancy and my husband is Steve.They are starting to book up for the Dec 18th cruise but probably a lot of people are not on Cruise Critic. We are really looking forward to the Cuba cruise, having sailed around Cuba several times on different ships and flown over it as well. This will be our 48th cruise so we were looking for someplace we have never been. We have been on Sailing Ships. Steam Ships, River Cruises, and Cruise ships large and small to almost all of the Countries in the Caribbean, Alaska. Hawaii and Mexico plus the major cities in Europe and land tours in many other countries. We sailed on Louis Aquamarine in the Greek Islands so we are familiar with the Company. Your name implies you have traveled the World also. I am happy to be in contact with others sailing on CubaCruise and especially on our sail date. We will have to set up a Meet and Greet before the cruise so we can get together after we embark.

Hi World Juggler, I am Nancy and my husband is Steve.They are starting to book up for the Dec 18th cruise but probably a lot of people are not on Cruise Critic. We are really looking forward to the Cuba cruise, having sailed around Cuba several times on different ships and flown over it as well. This will be our 48th cruise so we were looking for someplace we have never been. We have been on Sailing Ships. Steam Ships, River Cruises, and Cruise ships large and small to almost all of the Countries in the Caribbean, Alaska. Hawaii and Mexico plus the major cities in Europe and land tours in many other countries. We sailed on Louis Aquamarine in the Greek Islands so we are familiar with the Company. Your name implies you have traveled the World also. I am happy to be in contact with others sailing on CubaCruise and especially on our sail date. We will have to set up a Meet and Greet before the cruise so we can get together after we embark.

You can easily set up a roll call for your specific sailing - lots easier than being all together (though the combined info is helpful). On the Roll Call section of CC, there's a "all other cruise lines roll calls".

...I'm guessing the ship might be pretty empty until we get to Havana and pick up the first group of the season to board there.

In boarding the first Cuba Cruise of the season at Montego Bay you will be joining those who will be completing the Crystal's 21 day trans Atlantic Cruise which terminates at Havana. We thoroughly enjoyed the 2014 crossing but were please to have new passengers come aboard at Montego Bay as there were only 98 of us aboard. Little doubt that this year's crossing will surpass that figure, now that the word is out.

Chimo

In boarding the first Cuba Cruise of the season at Montego Bay you will be joining those who will be completing the Crystal's 21 day trans Atlantic Cruise which terminates at Havana. We thoroughly enjoyed the 2014 crossing but were please to have new passengers come aboard at Montego Bay as there were only 98 of us aboard. Little doubt that this year's crossing will surpass that figure, now that the word is out.

Chimo

Hi Chimo, Very cool that you are repeating your transatlantic, how many ports do you have in the 21 days? We did a Northern TA from the British Isles to Newfoundland, it would have been great except for hitting the remnants of a hurricane for 3 days and 2 nights. We did have a very memorable experience on that cruise in the footsteps of the Titanic.

Are you interested in a Meet and Greet after we board in MoBay? I would love to hear about your TA trip.

Hi Chimo, Very cool that you are repeating your transatlantic, how many ports do you have in the 21 days? We did a Northern TA from the British Isles to Newfoundland, it would have been great except for hitting the remnants of a hurricane for 3 days and 2 nights. We did have a very memorable experience on that cruise in the footsteps of the Titanic.

Are you interested in a Meet and Greet after we board in MoBay? I would love to hear about your TA trip.

We will not be aboard the repositioning trans Atlantic this year as we have set out sights on something different. But here is the site for the Cuba Cruise TA;

http://yourcubacruise.com/transatlantic-positioning-cruise

And unfortunately we will not be aboard the Havana boarding until late January but will be for three b2b's.

There is a posting about that TA cruise on this board on Page 63, posting No. 1241. Rereading, it sounds like we had a terrible time but when I saw the date I realized that we had been aboard for three weeks by then and it showed. So take that into consideration along with the point of the multitude of languages spoken by the small group of passengers inhibiting social activity. But having our SI cabin made the trip almost like sailing our very own private yacht.

As to the anticipated TA, it sails from Liverpool to Montreal and that is almost like coming home for us. A few details to attend to first.

We will not be aboard the repositioning trans Atlantic this year as we have set out sights on something different. But here is the site for the Cuba Cruise TA;

http://yourcubacruise.com/transatlantic-positioning-cruise

And unfortunately we will not be aboard the Havana boarding until late January but will be for three b2b's.

There is a posting about that TA cruise on this board on Page 63, posting No. 1241. Rereading, it sounds like we had a terrible time but when I saw the date I realized that we had been aboard for three weeks by then and it showed. So take that into consideration along with the point of the multitude of languages spoken by the small group of passengers inhibiting social activity. But having our SI cabin made the trip almost like sailing our very own private yacht.

As to the anticipated TA, it sails from Liverpool to Montreal and that is almost like coming home for us. A few details to attend to first.

It was very early this morning when I posted, I guess I wasn't awake yet...

A noted point of interest for the US passengers joining the cruise; The officials at the Cuban immigration tables, upon seeing a US passport placed before them, held their stamp above it and waited for the passenger to state if he should or should not stamp it. The officers then followed the passenger's request. Be prepared to answer this animated question.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know we had a choice.

This didn't happen on my sailing. Some in the group got stamped (as I found out later); others did not. I would've liked a stamp! Even if they do stamp next year, I missed out on the Cienfuegos one.

This didn't happen on my sailing. Some in the group got stamped (as I found out later); others did not. I would've liked a stamp! Even if they do stamp next year, I missed out on the Cienfuegos one.

Sorry to hear this. That has been the problem all along with a new venture like this one. Someone has to go through a situation and then comment on it for the next group to take note. And the reason I was so tardy was that initially as there were so few Americans taking this cruise, I didn't see the point of forewarning anyone. But wanting and having one's passport stamped did not seem to be an issue as the officers readily did so.

This brings memories of a cruise involving a port call at Monte Carlo. They do not stamp passports per se but the City Hall, which was part of the tour, did offer the opportunity of having one's passport stamped with some sort of seal. Of our tour group of about 40 people I was the only one who happened, purely by chance, to be carrying my passport and so I had it so stamped. Passengers pleaded with the guard to stamp anything and everything they could find handy but to no avail. Those with cameras gathered around and asked me to hold up the passport so they could photographed the stamp.

Hi Aqhaone and CruiseDirections - My husband and I will be on this one too! So excited to visit Cuba for the first time. We'll be spending three nights in Jamaica before the cruise and then spending Christmas in FL with family.

I'm guessing the ship might be pretty empty until we get to Havana and pick up the first group of the season to board there.

World Juggler and Aqhaone I started a thread titled "Celestyal Crystal pre- Christmas 2015 CubaCruise" on the "All Other Cruise Lines Roll Calls" section in Roll Calls. Please join me and anyone else who is booked or interested in booking this sailing.

I just came across this link on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum for Cuba. I thought others might find it interesting.

http://www.lahabana.com/guide/

Another link that may be helpful or at least informational:

http://www.wola.org/commentary/9_key_questions_about_new_cuba_regulations

Other posts on Thorn Tree indicate that US credit cards and debit cards were still not working recently (personal experience). It also looks like the 10% surcharge on US$ is still in effect - if someone knows otherwise, please post.

WiFi in Havana is not as you find it elsewhere, such as coffee shops, etc. It is found in major hotel lobbies and is purchased by the hour by a scratch ticket system sold at the designated location. But there is an outdoor general location where there is open WiFi and it is called La Rampa. There, one can purchase the scratch ticket for two CUC’s or buy one from someone who we might call a scalper, for 3 CUC’s. Indications are that in the evening and weekends it is very busy and difficult to get on line. But as the ship is in port on two work days the opportunity improves.

La Rampa is located on 23rd Avenue (Avenido 23) near the cross road of Avenue Paseo in the vicinity between the University Of Havana and the main Cemetery. Map attached

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/ONT-CA/LA%20RAMPA_zpsmsof1wyz.jpg

Is anyone having trouble paying their final bill on the website ? I have logged on with CHROME and when I got to the billing page a warning popped up saying that it wasnt secure and was dangerous to give information. I tried with Internet Explorer and AOL browser and both times told that either my booking number or email address was incorrect. A friend had the same problem and called and each of his four credit cards was declined including the one he used to make the deposit. What gives ? Why are they making it so difficult ?. Advice please !!!