K&K’s European Adventure ~ Carnival Legend Review May 2013

CupKayke

Really enjoying your review. For those who have yet to venture to Turkey. You haggle for everything. Never pay the price they quote. It's part of the Turkish culture. I usually halve what they want and end up paying somewhere inbetween the two. If there is no battering allowed in a particular shop they will tell you, usually in gold shops, as you pay by the weight. Although I have managed to get a small discount here too, when I have purchased more than 1 item, and yes, it is gold. I've had it valued when I got home and it was worth a lot more than I paid, but it was a few years ago.

Thank you! Yes, we did haggle for everything on this trip ~ almost everywhere ~ but ESPECIALLY in Turkey. In the Turkey port shops I noticed the sellers would follow interested buyers into other shops and agree to take an offer they had turned down a few minutes prior!!

Photos are wonderful.
Thank you! My DH & I both carried a semi-basic point & shoot camera. Mine had 18X zoom (no big deal) and his had 10X zoom camera. It seemed like everyone around us had professional cameras... but I am still very happy with our photos! :)

This is a great review! My husband and I will be doing the same itinerary on the Sunshine in July, so I really appreciate your tips, especially the VA in Venice and the tour bus in Izmir.

Can't wait to hear what happened in Rome!

I did not realize the Sunshine would be doing this exact itinerary so now I'm really glad I did this review - thank you for the info! I will try to finish my review today but I'm having lunch with friends & some other items need attention, too! :o Writing a review can become addictive!

If you have any questions about anything, please ask! :)

Just a quick note to anyone who likes to buy treats on vacation.. maybe this is available where you live but it was new to us… in Greece and Turkey the main “treat” in the port shops was chocolate covered pistachios.

We purchased these in Turkey…

chocolate_zps53f7d60f.jpg

They were WONDERFUL!!! If you get a chance, try it!

I love your review, the pictures are wonderful.

We are considering a European cruise next year with our 3 boys, we usually travel in either late spring or early fall due to my job. Were there many kids and tweens on board during your cruise?

Thank you ~ Karissa

John Heald announced there were 67 kids on board, but also said that is a small number. We didn't really see that many. The kids I did see were usually under 5. We had a 13 year old with us and she seemed bored on the ship. She did find two sisters close to her age close to the end of the cruise however. I don't know where they were hiding throughout the cruise. She did attend the Camp Carnival events, but they were usually canceled due to low attendance.

Just a quick note to anyone who likes to buy treats on vacation.. maybe this is available where you live but it was new to us… in Greece and Turkey the main “treat” in the port shops was chocolate covered pistachios.

We purchased these in Turkey…

chocolate_zps53f7d60f.jpg

They were WONDERFUL!!! If you get a chance, try it!

Now you tell me!!:p

Love your pictures of Positano, Ravello, and Amalfi. I had already decided that I need to go back to Naples to see Pompeii, but now I need to see the neighboring towns as well!

Now you tell me!!:p

Love your pictures of Positano, Ravello, and Amalfi. I had already decided that I need to go back to Naples to see Pompeii, but now I need to see the neighboring towns as well!

HA! If you go back.....you better take your dad with you!! He is such a trooper!! We loved him! :D

What an amazing vacation!
Thank you :)

May 13th - Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

I don’t want to write about our day in Rome. Soooo many things went wrong thanks to Smart Cruise Tours aka Dumb Cruise Tours .

My DH & I spent several days & nights in Rome in 2009 so I have no clue why we booked this tour in the first place. Rome on your own is easy to do via train and/or hop-on/hop-off bus and wonderful, by the way!

I will attempt to make a long story with lots of twists & turns short…Smart Cruise Tours aka JULIA was great at communicating, answering my emails, etc. Julia even sent me a final itinerary about 30 days out. We now know the only thing Julia is good at is taking your deposit money, being untruthful, and emailing fake itineraries. (Paying deposits for Europe tours should have been my first red flag)

Here is what happened…in a nutshell… a tour was never booked for us and in the end, another operator pieced together a long, ridiculous tour for us that simply took us to The Vatican, The Coliseum and gave us 10 minutes at The Trevi Fountain – and that took 12 hours!!

We spent a lot of time sitting in the van without a/c while the driver attempted to figure out what route to take since he had never driven in Rome before and continually refused to go somewhere because of the traffic.

Basics of our day…

No one met us at the pier.

We took the free Carnival shuttle to the shuttle stop, hoping our tour guide and van was there and NO. We met another tour operator who called the number on our Smart Cruise Tours voucher and we listened as she reassured Julia that YES, we did have a tour booked for the day…despite Julia repeatedly denying we had a tour booked today.

A full 45 minutes later we had a mini-bus, a driver who had never driven to Rome or in Rome before in his life, and Julia’s 17-year-old son whom she had just woke-up out of bed and he ran over from their home in Civitavecchia to be our English translator for the day. (I felt sooo sorry for Julia’s young son today)

The driver was terrible, spoke no English, and had no clue how to get around Rome. Every time we asked how long to something… he didn’t know or would say 15 minutes and then it took 45 minutes. Every time we asked to go somewhere or do anything… he said NO. He continually stated that only Rome in Limo vans can go there and only Rome in Limo vans can stop there and blah blah blah. He was trying to say he did not have licenses to drop us off at The Trevi Fountain or The Piazza Novano or anywhere… he said everywhere we wanted to go would be a 20 minute to a 45 minute walk for us to see because he wasn’t allowed to drop us off near the attraction….but the reality was… he was scared of where he was driving and he didn’t know how to get from one place to another. He was the worst tour guide/bus driver ever. He wanted to return and be at the ship by 4:30pm because he said our ship left at 5pm. It did not. It left at 9pm.

When we finally got to Rome we were dropped-off near The Vatican. Some of the group members were not going to tour The Vatican. They gave terrible instructions for the others to meet us. Two group members waited exactly where they thought they were supposed to wait and we never found them. We spent the remainder of our long day in Rome without two members of our group. Luckily, as soon as we returned to the ship, I called their room and they had taken a taxi to the train station and returned to the ship on their own. I felt terrible for them.

In the end… we saw The Vatican…rushing through it…. we had 90 minutes for lunch and to see the Coliseum all in the same area…and then it was 5pm. We had to practically BEG (with several people yelling) the driver to let us see the Trevi Fountain. Julia’s young son, poor kid, was stuck between us and the driver (he was the translator, sorta). Her son’s comment to us wanting to see the Trevi Fountain was… “It’s Just A Fountain.” Really??

In the end, we were able to spend exactly 10 minutes at The Trevi Fountain if we all agreed to walk 20 minutes uphill to get back to where our ignorant driver had parked the van.

We were returned to the Carnival shuttle drop off 50 minutes after they had promised (not even the pier!). We caught the last Carnival shuttle bus back to the ship at 8pm. After the mess that was today, I was thankful we made it back to the ship safely and on time.

Julia talked to me 4 or 5 times throughout the day. She never apologized and she changed her lie every time she called… she went from saying there was a driver at the pier but we simply missed him (no way), to we wasted time looking for our friend at The Vatican so that’s why the schedule couldn’t be kept, to just pure nonsense. Never once…to this day… has Julia or Smart Cruise Tours apologized or taken any responsibility for their actions. I learned a BIG lesson the hard way today and I was very embarrassed.

And now for the pictures of the small parts of the day we enjoyed…

The Vatican Museum…outside in the courtyard..

VaticanCourtyard2_zps9908c9b7.jpg

Vatican courtyard…

VaticanCourtyard_zps39f724f0.jpg

Ceilings inside The Vatican Museum hallways were beautiful…

Vaticanmuseum2_zps32002c7c.jpg

Vatican Museum…

VaticanMuseum_zpsf5cfc432.jpg

The only place inside Vatican City that you cannot take pictures is the Sistine Chapel. There are guards everywhere and they are very strict here. Everywhere else is available for photos – flash included. The Sistine Chapel paintings are breathtaking… even for this non-Catholic lady… maybe even worth all the ridiculousness to finally get in that one room.

St Peter’s Basilica was the place I would choose to spend a few hours if I had them available.

StPeters_zpsd385c880.jpg

If I could give any advice about touring through The Vatican… it would simply be the crowds and the pushing is overwhelming so if you want a good picture…choose one picture every 5 or 10 minutes, pause, and take the time to get a good shot. Otherwise, you will end-up with 50 bad pics and 2-3 good pics. I know this from experience.

Also, if you can...skip the Vatican Museum and go straight to the Sistine Chapel, spend your few silent moments there, and then spend several hours touring St Peter's Basilica. Just my opinion.

Up next… the rest of our ridiculous day in Rome.

Coliseum

Colosseum_zps4c6536df.jpg

Outside the Coliseum...

ViewfromColosseum_zpsf9db0efe.jpg

Trevi Fountain..

TreviFountain_zps32ee0d26.jpg

This lady got off work in her heels, jeans & blazer, got on her moped and proceeded to pull-out in front of our van. It was kinda cute.

Bikegirl_zps1f858131.jpg

I’ve never been so happy to see our cabin…

HOME SWEET HOME

HomeSweetHome_zps5922c8a5.jpg

Up Next… Pisa on our own… we loved it!!

DSCF9651_zpsd668843a.jpg

May 14th – Port of Livorno, Italy – Pisa

Pisa was a sunny, good day and is on my list of top places we visited!

We sat on the balcony and enjoyed the ship arriving into the scenic port of Livorno..

Portarrival_zps71e1f57e.jpg

Early morning fishing…

earlymorningfishing_zps1cb2ad01.jpg

Our plan today was to do what DH & I do best together – go out on our own and take the public buses and trains to get where we want to go and see what we want to see on our own time….this was especially important to us after the mess yesterday in Rome. Today we took a shuttle… to a bus… to the train station….where we took a train to Pisa…and a bus… to the Leaning Tower of Pisa! It was a lot easier than it sounds and the total transportation costs for the day for 2 , roundtrip, was 26 Euros. Frankly, it was a great experience!! I have to say… as we saw some of our friends leaving on a tour bus… l felt so sorry for them. Traveling on your own is freeing.

Our tickets for the day… crazy to think it was so easy! DSCF9708_zps46ca6be7.jpg

Port of Livorno– our day trip to Pisa…

To break down our transportation today, step-by-step, for those interested…

Livorno is an industrial port. Carnival offers a shuttle bus from the Livorno port to the town of Livorno for 5 Euros per person for a roundtrip transfer. The shuttle runs every 10 minutes both ways all day.

Here is a picture of the Carnival shuttle bus from our aft balcony. You walk off the ship and there is the shuttle bus. You pay on the bus.

DSCF9309_zps8c7e76bc.jpg

There is a video on YouTube that shows you EXACTLY where all the different ships’ shuttles drop off passengers in Livorno (it’s the same place for all ships), how you walk 200 yards to the bus stop, and catch bus #1 to the train station. It could not be easier and the video is right on target. It’s not my video so I don’t think CC will allow me to link to it.

If you get lost or don’t know something, the Carnival shuttle bus attendants will assist you. They are Livorno locals and they are helpful & nice. When you get off the Carnival shuttle bus in Livorno, if you walk behind the bus and across the street… there is a tobacco shop with a giant sign that says “WE SELL BUS TICKETS” – they also *happily* sell train tickets. Actually, they offered us train tickets or we would not have known we could buy them there too. We bought tickets for the bus (each way) and tickets for the train from Livorno to Pisa (each way). The clerk actually took our return tickets and put them in a little, separate mini-ziploc bag and handed them to us separately saying “these are for your return trips” – Total cost for 2 people for the day was 16 Euros paid directly to the tobacco shop – no standing in line, no trying to pay the drivers. It was a nice convenience. (The total for 2 for the day was 26 Euros when you add the Carnival shuttle price of 5 Euros per person)

After you get your bus and train tickets at the tobacco shop…walk out the front door and walk to your right a few feet. You will almost immediately see the bus stops (all the buses stop here in this main piazza) and a McDonald’s. Others will be waiting for the bus. It’s so easy. REALLY.

Please note - there are two buses with #1 and you want #1 bus – not the #1R - for your trip to the train station and for your trip back to the Carnival shuttle - just ask the drivers – they are very helpful here. The bus #1 runs from this downtown area to the train station and back with stops in-between. You can’t miss the train station – there is a giant clock out front.

Here is a picture of what the Livorno buses look like…

Bus1inPisa_zps6cd42cdc.jpg

Do you see the automated schedule by the bus stop below?? It says Bus #1R will be there at 9:17am and Bus #1 will be there at 9:20 am.

DSCF9608_zps1942a20e.jpg

I’ve already said this in my review before but I will say it again… the best thing I did in several ports was TAKE A PICTURE of where we were at so we could find it again. THIS PICTURE of the MCDONALD’S next to the big bus stop in Pisa helped us know exactly where to get back off the bus. Again, sometimes it’s the little things…

McDs_zpsfab5ca9c.jpg

I also took pictures of the train schedules so we would know when we could catch a train back…

trainschedules_zps162f0835.jpg

By the way, the train to and from Pisa from Livorno is clean and comfortable. The seats even have laptop trays.

Once in Livorno, we simply asked which bus we needed to take and we paid the bus driver directly (It was 3 Euros for 2 people for one-way trips to the leaning tower). The bus you need to take…by the way… is the RED LINE…across the street from the train station and behind the orange buses. It runs frequently. You can't miss it - there is a yellow line bus, red line bus, blue line bus, etc. They are painted with lines on the outside in their colors. We did not have a wait either way. It’s about a 10 or 15 minute ride from the train station to the tower.

And finally… we made it!

FacebookPhotooftheday_zps48b95f2b.jpg

Port of Livorno… Pisa…. Continued…

Today we had a fun day going-out on our own, taking silly pictures at the leaning tower, watching others take silly pictures, and then we did a little bit of shopping. There were no benches anywhere near the shopping street so DH got tired of me looking for a purse.

The tower, up close…when you stand against the rail and look at the bottom, it’s all marble. Interesting.

towerbottom3_zpsb2ec947c.jpg

Pisa was supposedly “THE” place to shop but I didn’t find anything too impressive besides my favorite cloth apron from this trip, a few small leaning tower cups, a Christmas ornament, etc…the basic stuff. I found a handbag I liked but it was listed at 75 Euro and they would only reduce to 50 Euro and it was basically a fake Belkin – and I’m not into fakes. I spent so much time in the long row of shops looking for a handbag that I did not realize how quickly time had passed so I did feel bad for DH by 1/1:30pm. I did not find a purse I liked. L

We stopped and had some liquid refreshments…

refreshments_zps4e1ef236.jpg

If you are offended by smokers, I apologize in advance for this picture but it did look neat…

smokinginpisa4_zps1d25e5f3.jpg

Later, my husband found some Duff beer and was excited… I think it has something to do with Bart Simpson??

DuffBeer4_zpsa266fac6.jpg

The food and drinks at the tables/restaurants surrounding the tower were surprisingly very affordable.

The poste – or place to mail letters & such – next to the tower. There are some booths next to the tower that will sell you a postcard, the stamp and they will even mail your postcard for you for under 2 Euro per postcard. I like this photo.

Poste4_zpsd9546824.jpg

Goodbye Pisa…

With a few small purchases in hand… we finally said goodbye to the leaning tower and walked out front to catch the red line bus back to the train station. The bus was extra crowded this afternoon compared to this morning. The ride was definitely an adventurous one as some lady kept announcing “There are pickpockets on this bus – be warned – there are pickpockets on this bus – I am warning you!” She was a tour operator for a group of people she had on the bus. Also, the bus slammed on it’s breaks just before the train station because someone walked out in front of the bus and people were falling and crashing into each other even more than before – but everyone was okay and nervous laughter erupted throughout the bus.

Others were waiting for the train, too…

Nun4_zpsd9a47575.jpg

We slowly made our way back to Livorno via train where stopped and had our last piece of Italian pizza today. We have no idea what they do that makes the cheese taste the way it does but it’s delicious!

lastitalianpizza4_zps4efc6bb5.jpg

We took the bus from the train station back to the Carnival shuttle area and decided to walk around the area. We found a grocery store, some shops selling expensive clothes and purses with odd advertisements, and just a few other semi-interesting items but nothing really of note.

We saw this ad on the side of a building and thought the placement of the ad was amusing..(that's a condom machine)

obcondoms4_zpse0a3ca64.jpg

We easily made it back to the port and had time to spare. It was such a good day! I love Pisa!

John Heald had announced at the beginning of the cruise that he guaranteed someone will miss the boat in some port on this cruise or he would buy everyone on the ship a drink. He says someone misses the boat on every European cruise. There have been some very close calls this cruise with the boat waiting up to an hour or more for late arrivals but today, we finally left a couple in the port of Livorno. Who knows what they did – read the train schedules wrong, got stuck in a traffic jam in a taxi, etc - but they did not show-up at the port and we left them in Italy as our ship started cruising toward France. Unfortunately, they probably missed their train from Florence to Livorno as it’s an hour and a half to get to the port, minimum, from Florence and the trains only run about once an hour in the afternoon – from Pisa or Florence… which is why we did not go to Florence today, I just didn’t want to risk missing the boat. Thank goodness because our day in Pisa was relaxing and beautiful!

Up next… Marseille, France… the worst port of the cruise and the only time we felt a little ticked at Carnival this cruise. I’ll post France and a few last thoughts and photos probably tomorrow. I think I’m done for the evening. Work doth call early tomorrow…

What a great review! I leave in less than a month for our Western Med cruise. I have a private car excursion booked through Smart Cruise Tours, and now I'm scared! I have emailed Julia with my concerns - it will be interesting to see what she says.

Do you feel like you missed anything by not doing Florence? We are a group of 7, and for some reason I'm just not jumping at the bit to go to Florence. Maybe because it's the last day of our cruise and I know we're going to be exhausted. But I'm leaning towards Pisa (no pun intended) for me, hubby, and kids - and my mom thinks I'm nuts because she says there isn't anything in Pisa other than the tower.

Loving your review, we are doing the same itinerary on the Sunshine on 28th July, I think it will be a little hotter then...

Thanks so much for your posts and pics. We, too are on the July 28th Carnival Sunshine cruise with the same itinerary, as mentioned in the above quote. Now you have me second guessing our DIY in Athens.

Hey CupKayke!

Actually, we didn't leave the couple in Livorno. Their taxi pulled up to the pier literally seconds after we pushed away. The taxi was honking and blinking its lights. Everyone on their balconies cheered when they got out. Two Carnival reps were at the pier to meet them. I watched as they talked for a bit, then walked to the end of the pier. Their taxi waited as we continued to sail(coast, rather), and eventually drove down to the end of the pier, in which, I'm assuming he asked them did they need a ride anywhere else. The agents and the couple waved him off and he left. I then knew they were going to be let on the ship. Sure enough, the Piloti boat came from in front of the ship and sped back the pier to pick up the couple. Once they were aboard the boat, it sped around to the port side so I couldn't see anything else. The ship was still coasting inside the port though and the water was very calm. My dad happened to be watching from the Lido deck and saw the Piloti boat pull up to the ship and the couple got on.

Shortly after, John Heald comes on with announcement saying we had left them and assumed they got on a wrong train....blah, blah, blah. My cousin had also watched from the Lido and was mad and we all figured John just didn't want to come off of those free drinks he promised. :rolleyes:

Also, my dad loved the trip! Now he wants me to look into Paris. He HAS to see the Eiffel Tower. LOL

What a great review! I leave in less than a month for our Western Med cruise. I have a private car excursion booked through Smart Cruise Tours, and now I'm scared! I have emailed Julia with my concerns - it will be interesting to see what she says.

Do you feel like you missed anything by not doing Florence? We are a group of 7, and for some reason I'm just not jumping at the bit to go to Florence. Maybe because it's the last day of our cruise and I know we're going to be exhausted. But I'm leaning towards Pisa (no pun intended) for me, hubby, and kids - and my mom thinks I'm nuts because she says there isn't anything in Pisa other than the tower.

Thank you for your kind comments about my review! :) ONE MONTH TO GO FOR YOU - THAT IS EXCITING!! Who knows what Julia will say but this weekend is when they did not pick-up the passengers at the port in Civitavecchia and they missed their flights. You should go checkout our roll call and see what a big bunch of people on there have to say - 2 of 3 groups that used Smart Cruise Tours were left stranded.

As for Florence... well... I hear it is BEAUTIFUL. I felt a little sting when, the last night of the cruise, all of the waiters were asking us what port was our favorite... I finally decided they were taking a poll so I asked them WHY they were asking and they didn't really say... but they did say that everyone's answer that night was FLORENCE! :o Florence looks amazing and beautiful but... we LOVED our day in Pisa. I felt good going at it on our own and I didn't want to do another tour. My DH & I enjoy walking - A LOT - for being middle-aged overweight people - we walked constantly on this vacation. I actually lost 4 pounds! :eek: But, we enjoyed it and we wanted to see a lot - and, I suppose I've gotten off track with my answer. No. I did not think I missed anything by not seeing Florence. My favorite ports were Venice, Athens, Naples (The Amalfi Coast), and Pisa.

Also, Pisa is FULL of tourists and there is lots to see and do there, in my opinion. I had read ahead of time that it was tourist friendly and you can walk from the bus station to the leaning tower - over the River Arno. I didn't have my directions or this is what we would have done. Some other CC'ers went to Pisa and they completely left the leaning tower area and had some really neat adventures too. This website will give you some neat info and maps on Pisa... http://www.livornonow.com/how_to_get_from_pisa_centrale_train_station_to_the_leaning_tower_of_pisa

Hope that helps. Each person or family is different in what they like! We liked Pisa! :)

Thanks so much for your posts and pics. We, too are on the July 28th Carnival Sunshine cruise with the same itinerary, as mentioned in the above quote. Now you have me second guessing our DIY in Athens.

I would highly recommend the Piraeus Express because you get to see so much and you get good history info plus you have time on your own. One couple took the express into town and did everything the rest of us did and then the tour guide arranged for them to have a taxi back to the port at a specific time. She called the taxi and made the arrangements for the taxi to meet them a couple of hours later at the Hard Rock in Athens so they had a few more hours than the rest of us to explore everything. If I could redo Athens, we would do that... it would easily be worth the 20 Euro to explore more of the downtown Athens area.

Thank you so much for the detailed description on how to get to Pisa. We are planning on going to Lucca and calling at Pisa on the way back. It's all on the same train line so should be double.

Many people on our cruise went to Lucca and said it was beautiful. I had never heard of it until that day ~ when people started telling us about it! :)

Hey CupKayke!

Actually, we didn't leave the couple in Livorno. Their taxi pulled up to the pier literally seconds after we pushed away. The taxi was honking and blinking its lights. Everyone on their balconies cheered when they got out. Two Carnival reps were at the pier to meet them. I watched as they talked for a bit, then walked to the end of the pier. Their taxi waited as we continued to sail(coast, rather), and eventually drove down to the end of the pier, in which, I'm assuming he asked them did they need a ride anywhere else. The agents and the couple waved him off and he left. I then knew they were going to be let on the ship. Sure enough, the Piloti boat came from in front of the ship and sped back the pier to pick up the couple. Once they were aboard the boat, it sped around to the port side so I couldn't see anything else. The ship was still coasting inside the port though and the water was very calm. My dad happened to be watching from the Lido deck and saw the Piloti boat pull up to the ship and the couple got on.

Shortly after, John Heald comes on with announcement saying we had left them and assumed they got on a wrong train....blah, blah, blah. My cousin had also watched from the Lido and was mad and we all figured John just didn't want to come off of those free drinks he promised. :rolleyes:

Also, my dad loved the trip! Now he wants me to look into Paris. He HAS to see the Eiffel Tower. LOL

O. MY. GOSH. My husband is going to bust-up laughing when he hears about this!!! HA HA HA HA He's probably going to tell John Heald he owes us a drink if he we ever actually meet him in person!! THAT IS SO FUNNY!!!

Your dad was soooo funny!! I'm glad he loved the trip and I hope your mom did too!! We are probably done with overseas cruises for a couple of years - we've yet to see Alaska and I'm never leaving my dog that long again!! HA :D

Marseille_zpsf74732ad.jpg

May 15th – Marseille France

Today is the only day I REALLY wish we had purchased a Carnival excursion. John Heald had not said much at the port talk about Marseille. Now I know why. Marseille was the worst port on this cruise and you MUST have something preplanned or an excursion before you get off the boat… or you might as well stay on the boat and save yourself $75. Prior to leaving for this cruise I read this about Marseille from other people on CC numerous times but really… what port doesn’t at least have souvenir shops or somewhere to hang-out for a couple of hours?? Marseille, that’s the port.

We arrived into Marseille early and it was possibly the coldest day of our cruise with winds, heavy clouds, and sprinkles of rain now and then. I like cool weather so I thought it was great! We got off the ship and had a couple of options available… sign-up for Carnival’s shuttle or get a rental car. Marseille is a very industrial port – the most industrial port of our entire cruise – and walking somewhere is absolutely NOT an option. We chose the Carnival shuttle at a whopping 14 Euro per person.

ShuttlePrice_zps18f14249.jpg

The Carnival shuttle bus drops you off on a pedestrian street that is lined all the way down the left side with restaurants that offer outdoor seating. None of the restaurants were open and most of them slowly started opening around 10am/10:30am but none of them ever got busy while we were there. And….there is NOTHING to do shopping anywhere near the Carnival drop-off. Nothing to see. No shops. No attractions. It was a terrible place to drop-off cruise passengers. We walked the neighborhoods behind the restaurants – nothing there. We walked all the way to the end of the pedestrian street and the only thing there are a few more restaurants and a smelly fish market – an actual fish market, by the way.

The Fish Market...

fishmarket_zps58547801.jpg

The most exciting thing we saw today was an animal park in the middle of all the restaurants..

meandgiraffe_zps1c6a2d3b.jpg

Hubby

Facebook2_zps46397f15.jpg

Archived