On Grandeur now..

We left Grandeur on May 24th. We were in cabin 7150 and have cabin 7650 booked for our October cruise. This fire could have been so much worse and with an assortment of crew new to the shift, I think they did an outstanding job! These pictures have me tearful and I am so thankful there were no major injuries. I can't imagine what must have been going thru everyone's minds when they heard the Bravo announcement and that dreaded alarm, it gives me cold chills even when it is sounded for a muster drill! I pray that we will never hear it or hear an Alpha page for my family, as that usually means bad news for someone. Thank you RCL for the training you provide for passengers and crew. Never again will we take a muster drill lightly! This has also given my DH and myself an opportunity to think of a game plan as what to grab of our personal items and how to keep up with each other if separated on the ship. He has a mobility issue and I worry about him constantly. Hearing of the rapid response of the crew will help me rest a little easier!

Nobody thinks that their one item tossed overboard could cause any harm.

No telling what caused this (near) disaster, hopefully they'll find the cause and help to see that similar occurrences are less likely in the future.

Tom

How many times have you seen a lit butt get thrown out of the window of a car ahead of you? I don't get why all smokers would not be more aware of what they do with their left overs.

I'm so sorry up hear you all have gone through this. There is nothing more terrifying then being 3 am in the dark at sea with a fire. Thank God you are all safe.

I'll take a fire over listing and sinking.

I know you probably do not realize it but cjskids was on Star Princess when it caught fire, so she does have some experience on this topic.

For those that are knowledgeable in this area, what might be in that part of the ship that is flammable? It looks like there was quite a bit of smoke damage, so something had to burn.

Just mooring lines! A cigarette would not likely start a mooring line on fire. There must have been more.

However the area may have also been used to store drums of oil, lube oil, etc. The area is sheltered from the weather and seas. Its not unheard of, had that on some of my ships.

AKK

Can we wait until we know what caused the fire to turn this into anti smoking thread?

If everyone stopped speculating then there would not be 18 pages to this thread already as there would not be much to talk about.

For those that are knowledgeable in this area, what might be in that part of the ship that is flammable? It looks like there was quite a bit of smoke damage, so something had to burn.

For the most part, nylon mooring lines....and lots of it! But there could be all kinds of flammable material stored in that area, such a wood crates, fabric covers, etc. Judging from the black smoke, probably some oil based products as well.

We just returned from the Enchantment which had left Coco Cay at 5pm yesterday going to Port Canaveral and the wind was really strong the whole time. The seas were also about 4-6 feet even though they were reporting calm seas. On the theory of a cigarette being thrown off a balcony, we could see that it would have easily blown back towards the ship.

Mooring rope burns.

Hi, All........

We've not yet had the pleasure on sailing on RCL, as they only sail from New Orleans on a limited basis, and we are not fans of the complications that flying to a port (not to mention the cost) add to the cruise process.

That being said, when this type of incident happens it does serve as a reminder to everyone that has the good fortune to be able to enjoy the cruise vacation experience (regardless of "line") that these are machines.

Complex.......... wonderful..............sometimes beautiful............ machines.

When you consider the number of cruise ships in service and the numbers of passengers that sail every year, they are also amazingly safe machines......

Credit to the crews on these ships for their training and drilling, and congrats to the passengers on board for obviously doing a good job of following instructions and remaining at "muster" where they were as safe as possible and also 'out of the way' of the members of the crew who were actively engaged in the fight.

I feel for those passengers who were aboard, for they will not have the vacation experience they expected. I also feel for those passengers on the upcoming voyage(s) that will more than likely be cancelled, since we've recently experienced that disappointment, as well.

I know in OUR case, CCL did a very nice job covering not only the refund on our cancelled sailing, but also worked very well with us for all of the non-refundable "incidental" expenses we had incurred getting to Galveston for our scheduled Feb 11, 2013 sailing. From reading the RCI boards, I am confident that RCI will also 'do the right thing', given the chance.

Certainly good news that all members of the crew and all passengers are safe and accounted for...........

The pictures certainly seem to indicate this was a substantial event, and could easily have been a more disastrous evening, had everyone not responded properly.

Earlier in thread, someone questioned use of term "isolated" for the fire. I just heard on TV that Royal was "thankful the fire was isolated in one area of the ship and contained there". Yes, things could have been very different with winds. Again, thank you to the crew for being so well trained and doing a wonderful job! And to the guests for keeping their cool.

Just heard from a friend on board and there is no pandemonium a d they are being updated almost every 15 minutes. She also said they are being treated Royally...kudos to the Captain, crew and RCI

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Archived