Sirince and Virgin Mary

We were on a private tour and our friends wanted to do the Virgin Mary home.

IMHO, it was a complete scam. Nothing but a tourist trap.

We would never go back, nor would we waste our time going there.

But I have to give credit to the person who thought up this scam...it certainly brings in the crowds to a place that would be otherwise not worth visiting.

I agree. Seems they really aren't sure that Mary was anywhere near this house. Many say it is a moving experience - not sure why if they don't even know she was ever there.

Sirince is a neat village. It is a bit touristy in places but if you get off the main road and wander into the back area its like stepping back in time. Neat shopping there with some older locals selling craft items like gorgeous handmade lace and crocheted items etc.

I have to say we really enjoyed the house of the virgin mary. we didn't visit the other place so I can't comment. I am not religious but still felt something there. I have been to plenty a tourist trap in my life and this was not what I would call one. lovely drive in and out as well.

We added Virgin Mary's house to our Ephesus tour. The place was worth ten minutes

We drove to Sirince on another cruise. It's hardly spectacular, but it's pleasant to wander & to have a beer with a nice view.

The drive up into the hills to both is very pleasant.

If you're at a loose end, Sirinice is worth a visit.

Not sure VM is worthwhile even if you are at a loose end.

JB :)

We went to Sirince last year and it was a great experience. We had a private guide and just the drive there was very interesting. We walked all though the back streets and he arranged a wonderful lunch in a cafe overlooking the town. It is a very unusual place and you won't be sorry if you go.

I've been to both.... the House of the Virgin Mary is very small to visit, the drive up there is spectacular. It seemed to me more a place of pilgrimage than anything else but I'm not particularly religious.

I liked Sirince, it seemed a typical Turkish old style village where they sell handicrafts and they have some good lunch places where they fire up stone ovens for pide which were delicious! :)

My vote would go to Sirince as well. It is a lovely old village in the mountains, very quaint with lots of little shops. Also there is a great jewellery shop from Dimitri who designed the jewellery for the film "Troy".

Went there on a tour last year and unfortunately only got an hour there and that went way too fast. But hay! still found a master piece ring, table runners, silk scarves, fridge magnets and some lovely bowls:)

Archived