Wifi question

If opting for a wifi package can you connect laptop, kindle plus smart phones under the same package to mske it more cost effective? :confused:

Yes , except smart phone isn't recommended . Smart phones first try the cellular system then WiFi.

When we were on FOS in November 2011, they only allowed up to three devices on an internet/wi-fi package and the ship's on-board computers wer considered a 'device'....so we each did our phone and then the ship's computers. Of course if you never plan to use the ship's computers you could then use your own computer device (e.g. I-pad) plus phones.

Does anyone know if there is a wifi package available on Explorer of the Seas? If so, is it available in state rooms or only hot spots? Any idea of cost? Thanks so much!

Here are the current costs for Explorer:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=310&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

The WiFi signal is only available in 5 or 6 hot spots around the ship.

Yes , except smart phone isn't recommended . Smart phones first try the cellular system then WiFi.

Sorry, but I disagree. We used our AT&t smart iPhones (one at a time) our last cruise a few weeks ago and it worked great! So great we would not take our laptops, etc. ;)

You could try putting the laptop in bridge mode, and have your other devices share that connection. I haven't tried it myself, but assuming they are filtering access by MAC address they would only see the MAC of your laptop, and not those being bridged.

You pay per minute on the ship's wifi (and it is sloooooow), and you pay per kilobyte on cellular. I find it is cheaper (and more reliable) for me to use cellular data and hotspot it to my other devices. Just make sure you turn off digital roaming/cellular data on your phone when you're not using it.

I also get an AT&T international data roaming package for about $30 for 150MB for 30 days that works in many carribean ports. You have to check which locations it is valid in.

Here are the current costs for Explorer:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=310&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

The WiFi signal is only available in 5 or 6 hot spots around the ship.

Thank you for the info! Was hoping for one price unlimited internet. Guess that's not happening! Oh well!

Just off allure and I don't know if there was max limit of how many devices you could register but you could only use one device at a time so you and someone else can't be on same wifi plan at same time. And when we used the computer to print airline boarding pass it was SOOOOO slow I could not imagine paying for such a slow connection

It took me $7.35 worth of wifi last Friday on Rhapsody to do one online checkin for our flights... Luckily I had about $8 of my package left to waste! Needless to say the other 9 didn't get checked in until I hit land and could use my iPhone data package for free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Motorola Razr checks for and informs me about available wifi connections and after the first connection will automatically connect to the selected wifi network.

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed on RCCL website that all ships have GPRS. Has anyone used this as an alternative to WIFI? Apart from phone provider costs are there any other charges? Am tempted to attempt a Live review but WIFI costs are so pricey :eek:

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just noticed on RCCL website that all ships have GPRS. Has anyone used this as an alternative to WIFI? Apart from phone provider costs are there any other charges? Am tempted to attempt a Live review but WIFI costs are so pricey :eek:

The only charges for using data over the cell network while at sea come from the cellular provider. You should check with your provider about costs at sea. I know that AT&T is very expensive, unless you purchase a package that covers cruise ships, and even then it's still not cheap.

Thanks Clarea, checked with phone provider. Various size packages available. 200mb for £35 which should be sufficient for submitting a review and cost wise better than paying for WIFI. Here's hoping that the signal is good!

Thanks Clarea, checked with phone provider. Various size packages available. 200mb for £35 which should be sufficient for submitting a review and cost wise better than paying for WIFI. Here's hoping that the signal is good!

I'd be careful of photo uploads. Full sized photos can consume that 200MB quickly.

Thanks for the tip. Will post photos when I get home and put them in date order.

It will be our first cruise and I've read so many reviews here in CC so it will be nice to give something back in return. :)

Archived