Wifi question

You might want to right your reviews in advance, and then post them when they are completed. If you turn on data, everything that needs it will start to use it, not just the applications you want to do your review. Good luck.

You're right! I'll get a journal and write up review in that. Will need to turn on phone though as along with our main camera I will be using phone to take photos and the odd video. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You're right! I'll get a journal and write up review in that. Will need to turn on phone though as along with our main camera I will be using phone to take photos and the odd video. :)

If you keep the phone in Airplane mode while taking photos and videos, you will not be charged for cellular data.

If opting for a wifi package can you connect laptop, kindle plus smart phones under the same package to mske it more cost effective? :confused:

All things WiFi is your best bet for the latest information.

First thing you need to do is set up a ship account. Most ships you must use the ships' computers to swipe your sea pass card. The newer ships allow you to set an account on your laptop.

After you setup your logon ID and password, select the number of minutes in your package. After your account is setup you can use as many devices as you want. The catch, only one device can be logged into your account at any one time. You can use an unlimited amount of data that you can squeeze into your minutes. You can have multiple windows and tabs open if your device supports it. Your logon starts the clock; a logoff, turn off WiFi, or completely powering off your device will stop it, be careful.

Cell phones are a little tricky. Switch to flight mode and then turn on just WiFi. After you turn on WiFi you will still need to log in. You have about 45 seconds to login or it drops the connection.

The Allure OTS unlimited packages are a little different so you will need to check.

Many ships allow you to use their computers to print your airline boarding passes for free. (it's very slow). Also many devices try to do automatic software updates when you are connected to WiFi. Sometimes that's what causes your device to slow.

Enjoy your future cruises.

If you keep the phone in Airplane mode while taking photos and videos, you will not be charged for cellular data.

Thank you again Clarea, that's very good advice. Only got this phone in January so still getting to grips with it. Phone before that was very basic - just a phone for making calls :)

All things WiFi is your best bet for the latest information.

First thing you need to do is set up a ship account. Most ships you must use the ships' computers to swipe your sea pass card. The newer ships allow you to set an account on your laptop.

After you setup your logon ID and password, select the number of minutes in your package. After your account is setup you can use as many devices as you want. The catch, only one device can be logged into your account at any one time. You can use an unlimited amount of data that you can squeeze into your minutes. You can have multiple windows and tabs open if your device supports it. Your logon starts the clock; a logoff, turn off WiFi, or completely powering off your device will stop it, be careful.

Cell phones are a little tricky. Switch to flight mode and then turn on just WiFi. After you turn on WiFi you will still need to log in. You have about 45 seconds to login or it drops the connection.

The Allure OTS unlimited packages are a little different so you will need to check.

Many ships allow you to use their computers to print your airline boarding passes for free. (it's very slow). Also many devices try to do automatic software updates when you are connected to WiFi. Sometimes that's what causes your device to slow.

Enjoy your future cruises.

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated. Although some way off yet, when I do add my review, I will add a little note on this thread to let everyone know :)

Does anyone know if Verizon will connect to data at sea? I still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Can this be used to check email on the Explorer or will there be international charges?

Does anyone know if Verizon will connect to data at sea? I still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Can this be used to check email on the Explorer or will there be international charges?

Verizon will connect to data at sea, but it's not covered by your domestic data plan. Verizon does have a package that covers you at sea, but it's not unlimited. Check with Verizon for details.

Verizon will connect to data at sea, but it's not covered by your domestic data plan. Verizon does have a package that covers you at sea, but it's not unlimited. Check with Verizon for details.

Thanks! I'll check with Verizon.

Archived