1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

You should have gathered more information from Carnival cruisers before your trip - could have clued you in on the amenities and nuances of Carnival compared to NCL. Have not read to the end of your review yet, but keep wanting to talk back to your postings....

I

I DID NOT know that you can order ANYTHING by adding it on the menu. That's the first I had heard of that before.

Not anything, just anything that is on the normal room service menu can also be delivered at breakfast. Of course, for some reason you didn't have a menu. That's so sad :( A new cruiser wouldn't know to ask for it (though a cruise critic one most likely would have found it on the boards before sailing, but I guess it just depends how obsessive you are. I know I could not wait for my room service BLT my first cruise, I had read about them so much.)

Very interesting read. Love all the experiences of poster.

How can one talk back to someones experiences on a particular ship? or elsewhere.

I must agree about the kids club though. I was on a Carnival ship out of Sydney, Australia. I was not impressed at all at how the kids club was run on the Carnival Spirit. Never mind the phone(they gave us a new battery and only needed 2 batteries for a 10 day cruise)..what bother us the most was the time it took to just get the young one into Camp Carnival the first morning...one and a half hours and we had preregistered her the previous day..it did improve thou'. The kicker was the lack of kids club the last 2 sea days. Only 1 and 1/2 hours on those days. We had spent four complete days with the children and loved it (the kids club was open during those days). We wanted to have some adult time during the last 2 days...but..not to be had. End of rant. I'm sorry.

I had meant to reply to Aprilivy who wanted to talk back to Mitsugirly's researched experiences.

Emi

Edited by Emilija

I had to get one last shot of the Lion Fish on the way back. I believe it's usually rare to see these. I think I read that they are normally not in the Caribbean, but have been migrating that way lately. People do not like them and boy can they put a hurting on you. I was thinking about a thread for Great Stirrup Cay and residents in the Caribbean where trying to get rid of them whenever they found one.

Unfortunately it is becoming less rare :(

They are an invasive species and their presence is killing off many of the native fish to the Carribean. In the Pacific/Indian Ocean they have predators that keep their population in balance, they are taking over much of the Carribean because nothing exists there to do the same.

It is very unfortunate. I'm surprised you've only seen one or two.

(The other downside, like you mentioned, is that their venom is poisonous to humans. Apparently they could kill a young child!)

Love all the photos! LFK looks fabulous!!!

Edited by skittl1321

I am loving your review and have spent half the day reading some of your previous reviews! Having been on this itinerary before also i am now torn between Maya Chan (loved the service and food there but the beach and brown water not so much) and Almaplena, but i think will go with Almaplena. I think we will book the Maya Key private island retreat with lunch, too!

You should have gathered more information from Carnival cruisers before your trip - could have clued you in on the amenities and nuances of Carnival compared to NCL. Have not read to the end of your review yet, but keep wanting to talk back to your postings....

I am sure your post was meant in the best possible way but it came out sounding incredibly arrogant to tell her what she "should have" done.

Her review is great and she has been on a number of cruises with many wonderful reviews and experiences and is kind enough to share that experience with us with some great pics included IMHO.

I was waiting for the next pic to be of Sakari doing a 1 and 1/2 somersault dive off that platform!:p

Oh, and you are brave to pick up that cucumber. I do not touch slug shaped creatures. It's a rule of mine. ;)

Awesome review so far...I've been mostly anticipating the LFK review, and I'm glad to see that you seem to have had a great time! The pictures are awesome! That's too bad that you weren't too impressed with the food, especially since there have been many other great reviews - but like you said, I guess food is a very personal thing.

Quick question for you, as my group will be going to LFK in July...I was told (via email) that we would be able to request certain food for lunch (some in our group don't eat seafood). But from what I've seen in other reviews (and yours), it looks like the plate is per-made and then brought to you with everything on it. Do you know of any time when you could have requested certain foods (like asking for only steak and chicken on the plate), or does the food really just come "automatically" the way it is? Thanks so much for your (limited) time, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the review!! :)

Oh guys. It's been a VERY long and exhausting day. My baby boy graduated today and then we took him out to eat. It's a rare occasion to get all 4 of my kids together at the same time because usually 1 of the adult ones are working when the others aren't...so I spent a lot of time with them.

Since I have been home, I have managed to get all of my online work and lectures done. I'm off tomorrow as well and will get in some of my reading and hopefully a little bit of studying done. I will pop in and out during the day hopefully (when I need a break).

Just to start...really guys, the whole room service/cheesecake thing is NOT a big deal. It was just an observation that I had with Carnival not being able to get cheesecake any time I wanted. I'm use to the 24/7 restaurant that's on NCL having the cheesecake and I would always stop by on my way back to the room and grab one. Now that I know you can order it from room service, I'll be on the look out next cruise. I survived without it. No big deal. Can we just move on? There's more to life than room service. :D

As for my research, I know a lot of the Carnival people don't know me (unless you have ran in to me on the ports board) but I am probably the one person you will find that has done the most research on any cruise possible. I have spread sheets, I have folders for each individual port, plane, cruise, hotel, gas, and so on with maps, pictures and reminders in each folder. I'm obsessive about finding out each little detail that I can. I ask tons of questions and I like to estimate the EXACT amount we will spend every place we go...including the ports. I search for menus to know how much to estimate for the food and everything. That's how detailed I get. I pay cash for my on board expenses and I come within usually about $10 of what I estimated at the end (except this time I had a little more left over...more about that later). BUT, you can't research something that you don't know to begin with...like I'm not going to come on here and ask about cheesecake or room service or little things like that. They really don't matter and they definitely don't make or break whether I'll cruise with a line or change anything.

So, I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I will keep it all in mind for my next cruise and with each cruise I hope to learn a little more.

Like I said, I was a first time Carnival person. I have been a NCL person for several years. In all honestly, I really didn't come to the Carnival board too often while my cruise was booked and still hung out on the NCL boards and actually talked Carnival talk with them. I kinda felt like a cruising "newbie" or an outcast because I had no idea what to expect. Now that I have 1 under my belt, I feel not so new, but yet I have a lot to learn...and will do so.

I'm real laid back, I like to have fun. I know I will enjoy whatever cruise I'm on...new or not. A cruise (and life) is what you make of it. Yes there are not so good things, but I bet I can find way more "better" things than anything because that's what I choose to do. We live our lives just as I'm typing it. We always have humor and my husband will tell you, I'm pretty quick with the whitty come-backs. I keep him on his toes as he does me. We always have something to laugh about, even in those bad times. We can turn anything into something funny. That's why we click.

I tell MY story the way I see it. I don't sugar coat anything and I share these stories with my fellow cruisers to give them MY perspective on what things were like. I share my pictures because I know when I do my extensive research, when I come across any review that is remotely close to this one, I am hooked and want to know everything I possibly can. Pictures are a MUST! I'm only here to help others and to share in any way I can. I will answer any questions I can and I appreciate any advice as well. :)

Now on with the review...

So things where winding down and I knew it was almost time to leave this beautiful paradise. I would give anything to be in the position to never have to leave, but reality slapped me in the face and told me it was time.

There were still a lot of people enjoying the place. I'm not sure if they were just planning on leaving a little after us, or if they might be staying on the island and visiting.

IMG_0475-M.jpg

I wanted to take a few more pictures of this paradise that I probably would not get to experience again any time soon.

P5150809-M.jpg

IMG_0473-M.jpg

IMG_0474-M.jpg

Who can resist that beloved mermaid again? This time it had the boat that we would be catching to go back in it.

P5150758-M.jpg

When we boarded the boat, the cigar smoking guy at the wheel had his boom box (well a little more than that...look at those speakers lol) on board and the music was blaring...I'm mean blaring. He was having a good old time and I'm sorry, if this would have been playing on the way over there, that would have been nice...but there was nothing going to snap me out of this somber mood I was now in because we were leaving LFK...not going back. I was sad.

IMG_0476-M.jpg

We are officially pulling out. Wait, there HAS to be something I left behind, there just has to be. Take me back...just take me back. Any excuse will do. Just take me back please.

IMG_0478-M.jpg

People still jumping off the deck. Ok, I'll do it again...just take me back.

IMG_0479-M.jpg

IMG_0480-M.jpg

Now we are getting a little too far for my comfort.

IMG_0483-M.jpg

Another dock that was there.

IMG_0484-M.jpg

Now that's a little too far for my comfort. I'm pretty sure Sakari left a crab or two back there and we need to immediately return please.

IMG_0486-M.jpg

We are getting ready to pull up to Frenchys already. It's such a short trip. The sailboats where sitting around in the water.

IMG_0492-M.jpg

Here comes Frenchys

IMG_0496-M.jpg

IMG_0499-M.jpg

And now LFK is just a memory in the past. One of the best memories of Roatan.

We head down the deck with the rest of the people that were on the boat with us. The hubby and Sakari stopped to look at a squirrel in a cage and I needed to put my towels and stuff in the bag.

IMG_0502-M.jpg

The other group was still walking and started piling in a mini van that was out in the driveway area. Someone at the restaurant came out and ask us if we were going with them and I ask if we were suppose to because they had ask us what time we wanted to return with Justin and I didn't see Justin anywhere. Before we could turn around, the van pulled off. Well, I guess that settled that. We were officially waiting on Justin whether we wanted to or not.

So I took some more pictures...of course.

IMG_0503-M.jpg

P5150556-M.jpg

IMG_0507-M.jpg

The hubby and Sakari headed out to visit the horse again.

IMG_0504-M.jpg

It was a nice horsey.

IMG_0505-M.jpg

He had 1 blue eye and 1 brown eye.

IMG_0506-M.jpg

We started walking back and up pulled Justin. He had someone in the car with him that he had picked up from school (they had a school uniform on) and away we went.

This is the sign as you pull on to the road headed to Frenchy's 44.

IMG_0509-M.jpg

Now I will tell you that I left a little earlier than we had to. I did want to get back to the port in order to check out Mahogany Bay. I just had a feeling that this is where my daughter ended up at and I wanted to take some pictures. I had previously seen pictures from other cruisers and was originally going to stay there to "save" money. But, knowing that I had no intention on repeating this route again any time soon, I couldn't pass up the experience of LFK. So, I compromised and just spent a little bit of time over at Mahogany. It was maybe an hour tops.

Now, here is all of the information on the pricing to LFK for those of you that might think this is the place for you when visiting Roatan. This is copied directly from their email they send out to anyone inquiring on pricing.

The following is the current pricing and packages we offer:

Kids under 11 are at 50% discount.

We do offer 10% discount for groups of ten or larger.

I) Super Fun Day Package $188 per person:

Includes,

1) One Tank guided Reef Scuba Dive for certified divers

2) Zip-line through the Roatan Jungle Canopy

3) Entrance and comfortable boat ride to Little French Key Private Island

Resort

4) Great and Delicious Fresh Island Style Lunch served on the private

Island, which includes Brochettes of Fillet Mignon, Lobster, Shrimp,

marinated chicken

breast, fresh home made Yucca chips, fresh home made salsa, rice and bean

and all

2 drinks of choice

5) Use of all our facilities and equipment, and all non motorized equipment,

Kayaks, water beds, water chairs, chase lounges, etc...

6) Tour of our Private Zoo with guide, friendly and tame Monkeys, Macaws

and Parrots

7) Round Trip Transportation to and from our facilities

II) Fun Day Package $148 Per person:

Includes,

1) Your Choice Zip-line through the Roatan Jungle Canopy or a one tank

scuba dive

at the second largest Barrier Reef in the world for certified divers

2) And All items 3 through 7 in option (I) above

III) Full Island Package $88 per person:

Includes,

1) Entrance and comfortable boat ride to Little French Key Private Island

2) Great and Delicious Fresh Island Style Lunch served on the private

Island, which includes Brochettes of Filet Mignon, Lobster, Shrimp,

marinated chicken

breast, fresh home made Yucca chips, fresh home made salsa, rice and bean

and two drinks of

choice

3) Use of all our non motorized equipments, Kayaks, water beds, water

chairs, chase lounges, etc...

4) Tour of our Private Zoo with guide, friendly and tame Monkeys, Macaws

and Parrots

5) Round Trip Transportation to and from our facilities

IV) Full Island Package PLUS $98 Per person:

Includes,

All of the items included in “ III, Island Package above PLUS a guided

snorkeling Tour of the Adjacent REEF, the second largest in the world, a

truly MUST SEE!!

V) Entrance Only and Round Trip Transportation to the Private Island @ $55

Per Person

Motorized water activities Jet Ski tour @ $70 per half hour, Banana

Boat tour at $15 per person, guided Reef snorkel tour with boat and

guide @ $20 per person as well water ski, knee board and floater bed

is also available ala carte.

So, to summarize LFK up. We had a WONDERFUL day there. This place is absolutely gorgeous and breath taking. Seriously...just look at that water? If this isn't a post card picture of what you think of when you hear "Caribben", then I don't know what is.

I know the prices are a little steep and they spent time transitioning into their current prices until they worked out the packages, but I think this is now the current prices for awhile. Is it worth the price to us? Definitely. I would do it again in a heart beat. No questions asked, hands down. However, if I was to go again, I would definitely do the smaller package since I didn't care for the food. Since the hubby seem to like the food, he could just pay the extra $$ for a plate and I would be happy. Now this is just my opinion and I know a lot of others have reported they liked the food. Food is subjective and this is just me.

Would I do anything else different? Yes. I would take the time to take a canoe out to the reef area and see what there is to see out there and just how good the snorkeling is. Was I upset with the snorkeling that I did do? No, not at all. As I said, I was very content with the amount of things that I did see. I seen a lot of "first" and to me, that's what it's all about for me. There was a wide variety of fish, a little bit of coral, and some interesting things like the mangrove area. I would only go out to the reef because then I would be able to compare it a little better to Maya Key...which is to die for when snorkeling. I almost feel as though I have let some of my fellow cruisers down by not going out there because I know a lot of people wanted a comparison and I really can't give it as far as snorkeling. Maybe others that have been to the reef at LFK can chime in or answer those questions. If you like the pictures that I posted of the snorkeling and can live with that as a "snorkeling spot" then by all means, try this place out and even go out to the reef and report back to us to let us know how it was. :D

OH MY GOSH! I cannot believe that Sakari jumped off that deck!!!! What an amazing child!

We were there at LFK in late January this year. It was rainy and cloudy when we arrived and not warm at all. It did clear up a bit but stayed cool. I would like to go in the Spring when it is warmer. I will definitely be going back and I wish the Jewel had Honduras on their itinerary for when it is in Houston. I will have to cruise out of NOLA, or try another cruise line. (GASP) :eek:

So now a comparison I guess between LFK and Maya Key. (Oh gosh, this is going to be hard).

Maya Key...ahhh how we loved you.

Well....

The island- Maya Key is a much bigger island than LFK

The beach-Maya Key has a much smaller beach "area" to swim in. LFK has MANY to chose from, so different areas to suit your needs, or just beach hop like we did.

The water-LFK is to die for. The beauty just can't be beat! Hands down.

The animals-Maya Key has A LOT more animals...I mean TONS of different animals...it was amazing. If you want more animals, this is your place. It was like a mini-zoo. LFK only has tons of birds, monkeys, deers, a rabbit, horse and the jaguars.

The monkeys-LFK has a cage with several monkeys in there for you to go in and hold. Maya Key has a guy that walks around with a monkey and tells you what time they are going to do a "monkey holding" event and you have to meet them over in front of the monkey habitat to hold them. So, if you HAVE to hold a monkey LFK is your place.

The land-both are beautifully landscaped with plenty of palms, flowers, trees and bushes. Maya Key doesn't have the beautiful statues everywhere like LFK does, which I think makes it unique.

Maya Key does have the replica ruins to visit and climb plus a small arts exhibit to go in if you are in to things like that. LFK doesn't.

LFK has canoes that you can take out and Maya Key doesn't.

Food-Maya Key was pretty good where I thought LFK wasn't.

Dining-Maya Key had an awesome area to eat at with tables, chairs and umbrellas on a nice big patio. LFK had areas, just not much. It was more of a find a spot there or eat at your chair type of thing.

Maya Key has a nice big pool...LFK doesn't (who needs a pool when you have your very own aqua tub in front of you that extends to another island?

Snorkeling...ahhh, the one area I failed you in. I can tell you this, even if LFK has awesome snorkeling out at the reef, you will NOT experience the "drop off" that you will at Maya Key. If snorkeling is the reason to visit one of these places, the Maya Key would be your place. I can tell you that without probably even going out to the reef at LFK. Maya Key snorkeling is just that awesome (to me). When you go down the dock and you climb down the stairs in to the water...you are there!!! Snorkeling and reef all around you. It is just this amazing, winding, trail of coral and rocks everywhere with so much to see. You could float there for hours and see something different. When you follow the trail and you get to the drop off and you see nothing but deep blue water and no end to the bottom...wow. It's not like taking a boat/excursion somewhere and dropping into the water and snorkeling the reef. It's a much different experience for sure. If you are just interested in getting some snorkeling snorkeling in, but are more interested in the place instead, LFK.

So now, which would I choose to go to if I had the choice? I honestly really can't say. I love them both that much. You can't go wrong with either one. If I ever go back and can't find anything similar to these two places and had to choose which I wanted to go to...I would probably flip a coin. Seriously.

So now we are back at Mahogany Bay and it's time to explore it a little bit (and of course take tons of pictures). We are now walking around the port area headed over toward the beach.

IMG_0513-M.jpg

IMG_0512-M.jpg

IMG_0514-M.jpg

It's nicely landscaped with a paver walkway and plenty of shops to get all of your last minute port shopping in...just like you would expect at any tourist port.

IMG_0515-M.jpg

IMG_0516-M.jpg

Making our way over toward the long walk to the beach.

IMG_0517-M.jpg

We walked so far down the path and there is a booth with some people standing there. You have to show them your S&S card to continue. I thought that was weird since the only people here to begin with would be passengers from Carnival right? Maybe I'm missing something.

IMG_0518-M.jpg

Sakari wanted to ride the skyride over, but I wanted to walk and take pictures. I had been snorkeling all day and jumping off a 2 story deck, what was I thinking?

Coming up to the walkway over the bridge with the water to get to the beach.

IMG_0521-M.jpg

IMG_0519-M.jpg

Maybe Sakari is the smarter one and we should have taken the skyride. Yes it was a pretty walk, but it was in the sun. There were only a few trees along the way and it was hot!

IMG_0522-M.jpg

IMG_0523-M.jpg

IMG_0524-M.jpg

It looks like there was some fun to be had here as well (although I'm sure it probably cost)

IMG_0525-M.jpg

IMG_0526-M.jpg

There is a really long building that you come to and have to go threw in order to get over to the beach. Anything to get you to shop right?

IMG_0527-M.jpg

IMG_0528-M.jpg

They had a playground for the kids. I thought it was a great idea with the tarp and all. I have seen playgrounds at a lot of places we have visited in the Caribbean and have never seen 1 child on it because with the sun beating down on it, it is way too hot to even go on.

IMG_0530-M.jpg

This place was kinda neat (not as neat as the day we had of course), but plenty of picture opportunities. These "boats" were everywhere and had tables in them to sit and eat at.

IMG_0531-M.jpg

Since I'm a photo freak, it was time to instruct Sakari to go stand by every little "thing" I could find to get her picture. She was less than enthused about it at that point.

This alligator reminded me of some Walt Disney movie for some reason. I'm not sure why. Was it the alligator in Captain Hook? I can't figure it out.

IMG_0532-M.jpg

She actually ran to this one and said "Dude!!" (From Little Nemo)

IMG_0533-M.jpg

So when she got to this one I said "Dudes!" and she laughed.

IMG_0535-M.jpg

As Sakari calls it a Pelican Bird.

IMG_0534-M.jpg

Her catch of the day. No I did not pose her...she did this on her own. LOL

IMG_0536-M.jpg

Although she did a lot of snorkeling today, she was ready for more:

IMG_0537-M.jpg

About this time Kendra's boyfriend come walking up behind us. I KNEW they went here, I just knew it. So he directed us threw this maze of green half rounded balls that never ended and we arrived at their ball of shade in the sea of cruisers.

IMG_0539-M.jpg

IMG_0553-M.jpg

Like seriously, can we say I really missed out on this "view" by going to LFK? What a joy to be among the half balls of greenery in this huge maze where everyone looks the same and when you are sitting in your chair you beach "scene" is the back of a half ball green thing. Yea, I know what they are, just making a joke for those of you that feel the need to correct me. They had them at Great Stirrup Cay when we visited back in March.

IMG_0554-M.jpg

Ok, enough of the big green half balls and on to the beach to check it out.

IMG_0541-M.jpg

Ok, looking a little crowded but Sakari jumped right in of course. Hmm, looks a little cold to me.

IMG_0543-M.jpg

I have to say it looks a little greener (like the half balls) and not so clear like the beautiful aqua crystal clear water that I had just returned from. I know this had a sandy bottom, and with the amount of swimmers there it is bound to be stirred up. But yikes is all I can say.

A view of the ship from the beach. Every review I have read of this place had this picture of the ship in port from the beach. I would be no different. I guess I'm just glad we were the ones "parked" here instead of the other Carnival ship.

IMG_0542-M.jpg

Now I have to say, I know a lot of the cruisers used this port as their "free" day and not have to go anywhere, plus there were 2 Carnival ships there, but it was almost time for all aboard and this place was PACKED. I can only imagine what it was actually like during the day while we were basking in the sun in Paradise instead.

IMG_0544-M.jpg

IMG_0545-M.jpg

IMG_0546-M.jpg

Sakari didn't mind...she was ok with any little time spent in the water.

IMG_0548-S.jpg

Why am I not seeing any fish or crabs here mommy?

IMG_0552-M.jpg