1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

Another great review Mitsu! I don't know if you remember, but I sent you looking for "Superman" at Maya Key. Is there ever a bad day on Roatan?? Gosh, so jealous. LFK looked great as well. We too looked at CCL for a cruise this summer, but got a little skittish with some of the troubles on their ships--good to know that MTD works OK. Did you have to share a table?

I'll be raising a glass to Kev next week in Bermuda. Never been before, and his review inspired me to go.

Sakari reminds me of my oldest D--she thinks she will be swimming next week out to the wreck off Elbow beach by herself if Mom can't keep up--at least she has a fluorescent snorkel so I can see where she is. (More gray hair for me!)

NCL is great that the buffet never really closes--had the same problem you had on a Disney cruise--would return from an excursion and there would be very little choice in food--none of it good.

Thanks again for the fun read,

SM

I really enjoyed this review! I don't come to the Carnival board too often, but one day I did and your review caught my eye.:)

A couple things...OMG at the photo gallery.:eek: I was laughing hysterically when I read that, because I couldn't agree more! What an inadequate space for all those photos, and then if you accidentally get too close to an exit the alarms go off...just a horrible design. What could be more annoying than hundreds of bodies smashed into that tiny little space with the shoplifting alarm going off every 10 seconds? Our problem on the Dream was even worse than yours, because we thought we'd be clever and bypass the green screen photos completely.:o Oops, no facial recognition for us! That will teach me to decide I have enough boarding photos!:rolleyes:

I also wanted to comment on your Camp Carnival experience. Kim, please don't just let that go without contacting Carnival about the way Sakari was treated. It never should have happened, and it's just inexcusable. I spent my entire career in education, and your story made me so sad and angry. No child should be treated that way, and for the counselors on the ship to act the way they did makes my blood boil.:mad: You showed a lot of restraint on the ship. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to hold back...I would have started with "The Principal Look" and worked my way from there. If Svetlana or whatever her name was didn't get the hint pretty quickly there's no telling what might have happened.

Thanks again for a great review. I think I'm going to go read some of your others now!:D

Kim,

First of all congratulations on the new addition to the family!! Wishing you all a happy healthy bundle of joy!!

I'm extremely sad your review is over :(!! It's like finishing that great book! I just might have to read it again!! You did an awesome job and I loved every second of it!! Thank you for doing all the "research" you did and sharing your adventures!!

I've cruised Carnival and RCL and am hoping to one day soon try out NCL. My son cruised on NCL out of NY a few years back and loved it. I'll absolutely be looking for you to answer some questions for me when that time comes!!

Thank you again!! Happy Cruising!!

Congrats on the future grandbaby. And thanks for this review. It helped pass the time (I'm patient sitting) on midnights!

Question for you, DH loves NCL's Jewel class sized ships, would he hate the Dream/Epic sized ships? He thinks they'll be too crowded. His original excuse was the megaships needed to work out the bugs, but now that they've been around he claims the crowds are an issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the congrats.

Well both of those mega ships have been out now for 3 years. I think they have the bugs worked out now. ;)

As for being too crowded. We sailed Epic in 2010 just a few months after she came out and we didn't feel it was too crowded. We went Sept 11th. So, this is during the "slow" season when everyone has went back to school. You will find that any time between mid Sept-usually April, there are less people. That's "usually" when we cruise.

However, this time around, I think there were a lot of people possibly on spring break or something because man was it crowded. I have never been on such a crowded ship before. We sailed at FULL capacity. There wasn't a room left and this was a first for us. The first day and coming back to the ships is where you really noticed it. Also in the evenings if you were in the Atrium area (which included the shopping and photos area-plus one of the main dining rooms is there) then you really felt it too. However, during those times, if you were anywhere else on the ship, you were fine and it was abandoned. :D So I think it was just the "time" that we sailed that made it crowded this time around. I highly recommend cruising during the "off" season. :p

Another great review Mitsu! I don't know if you remember, but I sent you looking for "Superman" at Maya Key. Is there ever a bad day on Roatan?? Gosh, so jealous. LFK looked great as well. We too looked at CCL for a cruise this summer, but got a little skittish with some of the troubles on their ships--good to know that MTD works OK. Did you have to share a table?

I'll be raising a glass to Kev next week in Bermuda. Never been before, and his review inspired me to go.

Sakari reminds me of my oldest D--she thinks she will be swimming next week out to the wreck off Elbow beach by herself if Mom can't keep up--at least she has a fluorescent snorkel so I can see where she is. (More gray hair for me!)

NCL is great that the buffet never really closes--had the same problem you had on a Disney cruise--would return from an excursion and there would be very little choice in food--none of it good.

Thanks again for the fun read,

SM

Of course I remember you telling me about Superman. I was sad when I didn't find him. :(

No, I can't ever imagine a bad day in Roatan...now Sakari remembers her bad day in Roatan with getting bitten by a monkey, she actually brought it up the other day, but I reminded how the monkeys didn't bite her this time around....it is the birds. LOL :p She just must taste good. :D

No, we didn't share any tables. We didn't even share with Kendra and her family. They would sit at the table over from us. They were normal tables, like you find on NCL...4 people per table.

Have a great time in Bermuda. I'm jealous. I wish I could get there this year, but I'm all booked up and the prices are just crazy to cruise there. Raise a toast to Kev for me too.

Thank you for taking the time to write this photo extensive review on your Carnival cruise. Never sailed on Carnival but do have the Breeze on my radar.

I have the Breeze on my radar too. :D

I really enjoyed this review! I don't come to the Carnival board too often, but one day I did and your review caught my eye.

A couple things...OMG at the photo gallery. I was laughing hysterically when I read that, because I couldn't agree more! What an inadequate space for all those photos, and then if you accidentally get too close to an exit the alarms go off...just a horrible design. What could be more annoying than hundreds of bodies smashed into that tiny little space with the shoplifting alarm going off every 10 seconds? Our problem on the Dream was even worse than yours, because we thought we'd be clever and bypass the green screen photos completely. Oops, no facial recognition for us! That will teach me to decide I have enough boarding photos!

I also wanted to comment on your Camp Carnival experience. Kim, please don't just let that go without contacting Carnival about the way Sakari was treated. It never should have happened, and it's just inexcusable. I spent my entire career in education, and your story made me so sad and angry. No child should be treated that way, and for the counselors on the ship to act the way they did makes my blood boil. You showed a lot of restraint on the ship. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to hold back...I would have started with "The Principal Look" and worked my way from there. If Svetlana or whatever her name was didn't get the hint pretty quickly there's no telling what might have happened.

Thanks again for a great review. I think I'm going to go read some of your others now!:D

Well thanks and I'm glad I caught your eye. :)

That photo gallery...sigh. Just a complete mess. If they would just leave things alone and just continue to add to it, it wouldn't be as bad. It does extend around and on both sides of that floor, so why shuffle them around? Just keep adding to the pictures by going on around with them. Don't shuffle them around and for gods sake don't take pictures of families that are together in a pile and separate half of them. What sense did that make?

How did you bypass the green screen? Did you have to go back at some point and have your picture done? The green screen picture is the picture that goes with your file for when they scan you S&S card getting on and off the ship in ports, your picture pops up. Just wondering?

I'm not even sure who I would write about the experience at CC. I have thought about it, but wonder if it ever does any good or has a positive outcome. I was definitely biting my tongue a lot on this cruise with them. Trust me, I'm pretty sure they knew I was upset by the looks on my face. I also made references whenever we dropped her off and picked her up....I said them to Sakari and not to them, but when they were standing next to me and loud enough for them to hear me of course. Each time they never acknowledged me about it and walked away when I know they heard. :rolleyes:

Kim,

First of all congratulations on the new addition to the family!! Wishing you all a happy healthy bundle of joy!!

I'm extremely sad your review is over :(!! It's like finishing that great book! I just might have to read it again!! You did an awesome job and I loved every second of it!! Thank you for doing all the "research" you did and sharing your adventures!!

I've cruised Carnival and RCL and am hoping to one day soon try out NCL. My son cruised on NCL out of NY a few years back and loved it. I'll absolutely be looking for you to answer some questions for me when that time comes!!

Thank you again!! Happy Cruising!!

Thanks so much for the congrats. We are super excited.

I will be back to post some videos once I get them done.

Which ship did your son go on? Our next is the Jewel.

Thanks so much for the congrats. We are super excited.

I will be back to post some videos once I get them done.

Which ship did your son go on? Our next is the Jewel.

He went on the Dawn to Bermuda. The only complaint he had about NCL was the anytime dining!! He loves getting to know the waitstaff, sitting at the same table, etc. I guess you can request that but the family he went with didn't know that at the time! I'd love to go to Bermuda too!! He loved it!

I'm not even sure who I would write about the experience at CC. I have thought about it, but wonder if it ever does any good or has a positive outcome. I was definitely biting my tongue a lot on this cruise with them. Trust me, I'm pretty sure they knew I was upset by the looks on my face. I also made references whenever we dropped her off and picked her up....I said them to Sakari and not to them, but when they were standing next to me and loud enough for them to hear me of course. Each time they never acknowledged me about it and walked away when I know they heard. :rolleyes:

Post a short version on John Heald's Facebook - he's their "Senior Cruise Director / Brand Ambassador" and basically the guy who can light a fire under people that deserve it. He also has a blog, where he answers questions and addresses issues, but he's perpetually several weeks behind. FB posts usually get answered the same day.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald?fref=ts

Kim,

loved, loved, loved your review, so enjoyable, awesome pictures, thank you!

Congrats to your family on the future addition!!!!

just to wet your appetite for Bermuda, have had the pleasure to cruise there twice, would go again in a heartbeat

bermudadouble_zps576d84e1.jpg

Yep, that's when I'm graduating, May 2014. What ship and where are you going?

We are going on May 4th, 2014 on the Conquest for a week out of Miami. I twisted my hubby's arm and got us a suite. You only graduate once from Nursing School right???

Great review. I so enjoyed every post! Finished today after my colonscopy. (Yuck, but I'm good for ten years now!).

If everyone who reads this, then goes on the Dream would mention to CC staff that they DON'T want SVETLANA taking care of their kids, she could be re-assigned. That is just what should happen.

They should not lie to anyone, or cheat any child out of participating. You paid for the kids program in your ticket prices and they stole that from Sakari. I think I would protest also, if only to keep this from happening again. It sounds like a few bad apples are "controlling" the kids program on the Dream to their advantage, ie. less work for them. Shameful if Carnival sees this and does nothing.

A question for mitsugirley....will be cruising first time to Cozumel? So it's between Chankanaab or Playa Mia. It's gonna be my sis and I. She can't swim but I really want to snorkel. I read ur review but can u clarify about the dolphin excursion. Is the water deep for the swim with dolphins. I don't want to waste money when my sis too scared to go them. I just want a WOW factor. Also I heard about the Money Bar Park? Do u know anything about that. Please help...thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He went on the Dawn to Bermuda. The only complaint he had about NCL was the anytime dining!! He loves getting to know the waitstaff, sitting at the same table, etc. I guess you can request that but the family he went with didn't know that at the time! I'd love to go to Bermuda too!! He loved it!

The Dawn is what we were going to go on to Bermuda. Hopefully next year. ;)

Post a short version on John Heald's Facebook - he's their "Senior Cruise Director / Brand Ambassador" and basically the guy who can light a fire under people that deserve it. He also has a blog, where he answers questions and addresses issues, but he's perpetually several weeks behind. FB posts usually get answered the same day.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald?fref=ts

Is there really a "short" version? LOL I just don't even know how I would shorten it up. I mean it was a daily building up thing. To get the full effect, it would have to go from start to finish. Hmmm, just not sure what to do.

Kim,

loved, loved, loved your review, so enjoyable, awesome pictures, thank you!

Congrats to your family on the future addition!!!!

just to wet your appetite for Bermuda, have had the pleasure to cruise there twice, would go again in a heartbeat

bermudadouble_zps576d84e1.jpg

HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME? :D I'm already reading Gambees Bermuda review on the Breakaway and it's just killing me.

We are going on May 4th, 2014 on the Conquest for a week out of Miami. I twisted my hubby's arm and got us a suite. You only graduate once from Nursing School right???

I don't even think we will be graduated by then. I think we graduate mid-May, but I could be wrong. I do know that the Nursing program always gets out a week earlier than the school does each semester.

Great review. I so enjoyed every post! Finished today after my colonscopy. (Yuck' date=' but I'm good for ten years now!).

If everyone who reads this, then goes on the Dream would mention to CC staff that they DON'T want SVETLANA taking care of their kids, she could be re-assigned. That is just what should happen.

They should not lie to anyone, or cheat any child out of participating. You paid for the kids program in your ticket prices and they stole that from Sakari. I think I would protest also, if only to keep this from happening again. It sounds like a few bad apples are "controlling" the kids program on the Dream to their advantage, ie. less work for them. Shameful if Carnival sees this and does nothing.[/quote']

Glad you enjoyed it. The next review will be with you on the Jewel. :D

What do you mean re-assigned? With my luck they'd put her on one of the Carnival ships I want to go on next. That just be my darn luck!!! :o

What do you mean protest? In what way? I certainly can't protest and not go on a Carnival ship or protest the CC. Sakari wouldn't have it.

A question for mitsugirley....will be cruising first time to Cozumel? So it's between Chankanaab or Playa Mia. It's gonna be my sis and I. She can't swim but I really want to snorkel. I read ur review but can u clarify about the dolphin excursion. Is the water deep for the swim with dolphins. I don't want to waste money when my sis too scared to go them. I just want a WOW factor. Also I heard about the Money Bar Park? Do u know anything about that. Please help...thanks in advance.

Have you been able to read both of my Chankanaab reviews listed in my signature? It will show the place and has tons of pictures and a link. You will be able to see the snorkeling area. It's pretty much you walk out to the water on steps and then you are there. However, it's not really the type of water you can just stand on. It would be over your head. They do make you wear life jackets though.

You're not gonna see too much snorkeling at Playa Mia. It doesn't even compare to Chankanaab...at all! But you can just walk out in to the water from the beach and it's a gradual decline.

So, if she can't swim, you could still snorkel at Chankanaab. She could lay out under the palapa while you do which is right there in front of the snorkeling area. Or she could go over to the little small "families" area to swim, which is a small cove, gentle water and not deep.

As for the dolphin area, you also wear life jackets too. We did not do the actual "swim" since at the time my daughter was only 3 years old. We did the "encounter". You are standing on a ledge down in the water and the dolphins come up to you to interact. So, she wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

The Money Bar...it's a small place right before Chankanaab and it's like a restaurant. The snorkeling there is suppose to be awesome and it's just like at Chankanaab with the steps that go down in to the water. It has a small area with a man made type beach to sit at.

Here is a link to some pictures that I posted awhile back of the Money Bar. I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38063366&postcount=12

Is there really a "short" version? LOL I just don't even know how I would shorten it up. I mean it was a daily building up thing. To get the full effect, it would have to go from start to finish. Hmmm, just not sure what to do.

Good point! :/ Maybe just something like, "I have major concerns with how my child was treated in Camp; can you please give me a contact person in Miami I can share my story with?" Then, if he wants the details, he'll ask, but he should be able to steer you in the right direction. (One more effective than the generic 1-800-CCL-complaints.)

How did you bypass the green screen? Did you have to go back at some point and have your picture done? The green screen picture is the picture that goes with your file for when they scan you S&S card getting on and off the ship in ports, your picture pops up. Just wondering?

They must have changed their procedures...when we were on the Dream in 2011 the green screen was the boarding picture. The picture for your S&S card was separate -- I think it was taken as we boarded.

As others have posted, contacting John Heald might work. He seems to be able to cut through red tape and get things done!

I enjoyed your review as well... It's been a while since we sailed NCL (I remember finding it very difficult at times to find food - so nice to know maybe different now)

I bet Kendra didn't get a lot of Towel Animals because they would go to bed when they were napping and not ever go to dinner. They usually do the turn down and towel animals between 6-9, during dinner hours. And no wonder she was so tired - she was making a baby :p Congrats!

Let us know what happens with your complaint about the child care - definitely needed.... Hopefully some recent sailors of Dream can keep us updated if those same workers are there. I know my son loves going to Camp Carnival. Started in Camp Carnival and is sad to be graduating next year from 02. We cruise because he loves it.

My trip to Money Bar is probably my favorite day cruising, or a close second to Antigua. That said- I wouldn't go with a non-swimmer. The currents make it so it isn't easy snorkeling (it isn't hard either...) and the beach isn't much- trucked in sand with some loungers, no beach entry to the water. A non-swimmer probably wouldn't enjoy it there.

Wonderful review. I will be sailing the Dream in November, glad to hear you liked the ship. I think the Breeze should be your next Carnival ship.

Thanks for taking the time to do a review.

Happy Cruising!

Thanks mitsugirly....I'm gonna read over all ur reviews again but Chankanaab seems pretty cool!!

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions. :)

They must have changed their procedures...when we were on the Dream in 2011 the green screen was the boarding picture. The picture for your S&S card was separate -- I think it was taken as we boarded.

As others have posted, contacting John Heald might work. He seems to be able to cut through red tape and get things done!

They only took our green screen picture, which was the picture that came up when we scanned our S&S card as we would exit the ship and get back on. Then upstairs they took our "group" picture (were they add the picture of the ship in the background later) for us to buy.

I bet Kendra didn't get a lot of Towel Animals because they would go to bed when they were napping and not ever go to dinner. They usually do the turn down and towel animals between 6-9, during dinner hours. And no wonder she was so tired - she was making a baby :p Congrats!

Haha, I said the same thing, but she was already a few weeks pregnant when we left and just didn't know it. ;)

As for sleeping during that time, they were always up and would go to dinner. When they were at dinner and then would come home, their beds were always turned down and the room cleaned, so we know they were in there but just didn't leave a towel animal. We found that if we were ever in the room (which we were only in there a couple of times changing or grabbing something from the room) when they showed up to turn down the beds, they would always come back after we left. So I don't think that's the case.

Thanks for the congrats. :)

Wonderful review. I will be sailing the Dream in November, glad to hear you liked the ship. I think the Breeze should be your next Carnival ship.

Thanks for taking the time to do a review.

Happy Cruising!

I think you are right...or the Magic. :D