Cartagena

PH

PH: would not recommend going on your own in Cartagena! It is the worst port city we have ever visited: armed miltary; hordes/swarms of people incessantly surrounding you begging, etc. If we were ever on another cruise that visited there, we would opt to remain on the ship. If you are going to tour, I'd recommend staying with an organized tour. This is just one opinion, but we have travelled extensively, and Cartagena is our least favorite city in South America, perhaps even anywhere we have visited. I'm sure you will receive a spectrum of opinions, ideas, etc. On the other hand, if you are really adventurous . . . . . . it might be your cup of tea!

PH: would not recommend going on your own in Cartagena! It is the worst port city we have ever visited: armed miltary; hordes/swarms of people incessantly surrounding you begging, etc. If we were ever on another cruise that visited there, we would opt to remain on the ship. If you are going to tour, I'd recommend staying with an organized tour. This is just one opinion, but we have travelled extensively, and Cartagena is our least favorite city in South America, perhaps even anywhere we have visited. I'm sure you will receive a spectrum of opinions, ideas, etc. On the other hand, if you are really adventurous . . . . . . it might be your cup of tea!
I have to agree. If I ever stopped in Cartegena again, I wouldn't leave the port area. Thankfully there's a small shop there where you can buy a few things but I wouldn't go out in the city again espcially on my own. I felt very unsafe. We were rushed as soon as we left the port area and people were constantly asking us for money and putting their hands on us. I felt violated. I love to travel and I've been around the world and I've never felt so scared or insecure as I did in Cartegena. This is my personal experience and there are probably people that have had the time of their lives there. I wasn't one of them.

I enjoyed Cartagena, but I would recommend ONLY taking a ship's tour. It can be very unsafe for tourists on their own. We had a drive through the old Colonial section of the city to see old homes, then went to the walled Old Town for a walking tour including the old Cathedral. Lots of nice shops here and photo ops, but stay with the group. Good deals on Colombian coffee. Then went to the old fort (re-read James Mitchner's "Caribbean" for the story of this fort during Colonial and pirate times) and to an old convent with a spectacular view of the city. Watch when leaving or entering the port for signs of the old chain used to guard the harbor (also described in Mitchner's book). I would go again.

• 1 month later...

I love the town - I did take the ships historical tour -but wished I could have had a bit more time on my own. Some parts are better than others - as with anywhere.... I say venture out - if you speak spanish that's a BIG plus..

Let us know what you do...

My suggestion would be to hire a private car and very knowledgeable driver/guide for the day. Then, you can arrange to go to the places noted above and others and do so at your own pace and without attracting the kind of attention that ship tours attract. You will be hassled of course, but much less than with an organized group tour from the ship (which is a magnet for beggars, hawkers, pickpockets, etc.).

Dress and act like a native to the extent that you can so that you do not stand out as a tourist - conservative trousers, white open neck shirt or blouse, etc. (no loud t-shirts or shorts). If you have a camera, carry it in some kind of purse or container, not on a strap around your neck. Etc. Carry your money very carefully.

As several posts have noted, Cartagena is a charming colonial city - fort, shops, harbor, restaurants, crafts, vistas, etc. You can enjoy yourself if you use some common sense.

You asked about a city you've already down thumbed. I've booked cruises for the express purpose of hitting Cartagena. Sir Frances Drake did the same; it was the richest city on the Spanish Main.

Unfortunately, it was black listed after booking on one cruise. It IS an experience. Cabs is the terminal are (or were in '01) highly security screened. Yes - it has beggars (esp. at La Popa Monestary, climbing cliffs for coins) and aggressive street peddlers (a la St. Lucia). But is has one of the most incredible harbors in the new world. I managed it with a wheelchair bound parent - no problem (very considerate cab driver).

And romancing the stone, the city's better shops in Boca Grande and elseware makes REAL emerald jewelry and free stone shopping exciting. Look for fine stones in intricate local goldsmith filligre. Makes you realize the genericism of St. Thomas, Martin, Aruba (Diamonds International... blah (nice but blas). Great quality leather buys are available. Cheap no - Columbians know the international commodity markets and AREN'T going to be ripped off. But as an exotic, edgy, but terrific port... Well, its where Sir Francis dreamed of from Drake's Seat on ST. Thomas...

• 5 months later...

Archived