Cuban Cigars Buyers Beware

I am a novice cigar smoker, so I was a sucker when I went to buy some in Jamaica. It turns out that when I came home and checked out the cigar the salesman told me was HANDMADE IN CUBA, it actualllly was machine made in Cuba. Good thing I only bought 3 cigars for $12.00 each, since they are being exported to Europe for $!.33 per cigar.

I am going again to Bermuda in July and I will besure that I will do my research before I go to buy anymore cigars

I am a novice cigar smoker, so I was a sucker when I went to buy some in Jamaica. It turns out that when I came home and checked out the cigar the salesman told me was HANDMADE IN CUBA, it actualllly was machine made in Cuba. Good thing I only bought 3 cigars for $12.00 each, since they are being exported to Europe for $!.33 per cigar.

I am going again to Bermuda in July and I will besure that I will do my research before I go to buy anymore cigars

The cost should have been a tipoff. Its always best to find a reputable dealer before you cruise, lots of great tips can be found on this board. Personally I like the taste of Dominican much better.

when I came home and checked out the cigar the salesman told me was HANDMADE IN CUBA,

We're sure you mean after your trip you researched the bands left over from the cigars you smoked on your cruise, and didn't actually have them at home in your possession, since, of course, it's against federal law to import cigars from Cuba.

Hey at least they were Cuban!

I agree - Dominicans are prety decent - especially the Cohibas. AND there are no real bargains. Beware of buying Cuban Cigars in Canada - our port shopping director told us not to buy them at the pier only in a decent cigar store with a humidor. There is a very good cigar store in Aruba and one in Curacao if you want decent cubans - but be prepared to pay.

Guest OBAYbee
We're sure you mean after your trip you researched the bands left over from the cigars you smoked on your cruise, and didn't actually have them at home in your possession, since, of course, it's against federal law to import cigars from Cuba.

That was my first reaction to this thread too! LOL

I prefer the mild relatively small circumference long cigars. Not the turbos

What should I expect to pay. I repeat I paid $12/ cigar in Jamaica. Is that cheap. What should a good cuban hand rolled cigar cost

Beware of buying Cuban Cigars in Canada - our port shopping director told us not to buy them at the pier only in a decent cigar store with a humidor.

Not sure about the pier stores, but there are plenty of places in Canada to buy decent Cuban cigars.

There are lots of "knockoff" and counterfeit Cuban cigar sellers out there....be careful and do your homework. Thousands upon thousands of American cigar lovers just sneak them home. I've taken them into the States for friends on numerous occasions-no problems.

If memory serves me correctly - I paid somewhere around $15-16 bucks for a Dominican Cohiba in Curacao maybe 5 1/2" 44mm

Bought a box of Cuban Cohibas ( 5 pack ) small after dinner quickies like maybe 4-4/12"

I dont remember the diameter in Aruba for $65 bucks for a friend. and YES I DID take them home.

If you get Thompson's catalog you might get a decent idea as to price or go to Nat Sherman in NYC and see what they are getting.

BTW - Thompson has samplers that are a pretty good buy - I usually order one for the cruise.

Archived