So what's wrong with Norfolk?

Hanzo

And now you can add Norfolk to this list. The city dropped the money on a new terminal that the cruiselines wanted and now ALL of the cruiselines are pulling out of Norfolk. Norfolk had 4 cruiselines sailing from here when there was no purpose built terminal, the Nauticus Maritime Museum had to pinch hit as a cruise terminal. The cruiselines were like "build it and we will come/stay". Look where we are now. :(

Sounds like maybe these cities building new terminals should get some sort of financial backing and/or contracts from a cruise line or two before building new terminals. Seems the cruise industry rarely ends up sticking around to use the new facilities for long...

~Katy

Sounds like maybe these cities building new terminals should get some sort of financial backing and/or contracts from a cruise line or two before building new terminals. Seems the cruise industry rarely ends up sticking around to use the new facilities for long...

~Katy

That's the way it seems Katy. Now it's back to cruising from Florida for me next year....

I know that Baltimore is not that far away. When I figure that your first night is spent coming down the Chesapeake Bay (it's about 6-7 hours cruising the bay) the cruiseships from Baltimore usually clear the CBBT aroung 11:30pm. Your next day and a half is at sea that's about the same as spending a day flying to Florida and spending the night precruise. Based on pricing from Baltimore the cost in airfare compared to the overall cruise price is close to being a wash for me. Plus figuring in the price to park for a week or more in Baltimore is going to be over $100 too.

Mobile has a very nice wedding chapel and Mardi Gras ballroom with spectacular riverfront views, that they still owe $25 million on. It even has a $3 million articulating gangway to nowhere. :)

Mobile has a very nice wedding chapel and Mardi Gras ballroom with spectacular riverfront views, that they still owe $25 million on. It even has a $3 million articulating gangway to nowhere. :)

That gangway attraction you mention is almost like a "cruise to nowhere". Now Norfolk will have one of those too!!! :D

Archived