Coco Cay, RC's private island in the Bahamas

BillOh

Anyone dive here?

I was last there in 2010 and love the snorkeling there. I did see people diving from the beach there. I finally got certified in 2012 and dove last month in St Thomas. We scheduled an extra cruise this year that includes Coco Cay. I' will probably dive again there. My daughter was there early this year and saw two manatees. Anyone had any experience with Royal's dive excursion?

tried!

we got to the dive shop got geared up and were just entering the water when the ship called and said a storm was rapidly approaching and called us back - got a full refund.

How it was working:

- you are the first tender load to go to the island and the plan is you'll dive before most people get there.

- you do a shore entry at the main snorkel entrance and either surface swim or get towed out to the end of the breakwater that protects the snorkel area

- the dive was going to be on the other side of that breakwater

a nasty squall did pass thru and actually suspended tender operations for over an hour. After that things cleared up but they do not reschedule - there was just the one dive opportunity during the day.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Captain. Thanks for that input. I'll report back how it goes. I will have to see if I get another underwater camera before then. I broke me Sea Life camera in St Thomas. RC's website says under 40 ft of depth, but I may be a GO PRO for future dives.

dd is doing a summer internship at CocView in Roatan, one of two interns for the summer on a biology project. She has a brand new Sea Life mini and her partner has a Go Pro. We're anxious to compare quality in identical circumstances. So far they have been kept VERY busy so I've only seen one picture.

001_zpseb96e95d.jpeg

this is a Go Pro shot

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 3 months later...

well

cuz RCL is giving cruises away right now, and I live 30 minutes from the port

I plan to dive COCO next week so IF I manage to make the dive I'll let you know.

I'm only diving to answer the questions!!!!

Edited by Capt_BJ

Went diving at Coco Cay on 9/15. I was very impressed with the professionalism of the dive people, but the dive itself was nothing special. It is a beach dive so there is a little bit of walking to the water and then you have to either swim or accept a tow from them to the dive site.

Living in Florida, it was pretty boring although there was some fish life to see. The coral is not healthy and your deepest depth is about 32 feet.

Went diving at Coco Cay on 9/15. I was very impressed with the professionalism of the dive people, but the dive itself was nothing special. It is a beach dive so there is a little bit of walking to the water and then you have to either swim or accept a tow from them to the dive site.

Living in Florida, it was pretty boring although there was some fish life to see. The coral is not healthy and your deepest depth is about 32 feet.

It may have been divine intervention that had me try to sign up for this too late to do via web: "inquire on board". I was pretty much expecting the dive 2b what you describe and think I'll save the bucks and accept your review as spot on. Being a Floridian myself, and not long ago having done a Cayman week it isn't like I need a proficiency dive. I'll be happy to snorkel for a while.

I'll tip a cool one your direction in thanks for the cost savings! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that.

• 4 weeks later...
I booked this on Sunday. Its a few months off, and only a 1 take dive, but I'll report back.

Well,

That was a bust. The night before heading to Cococay and they called our room and said, conditions were too rough that the excursion was canceled. I suspect it was more true that I was the only one on the small ship that signed up. Snorkeling and Jetskis still operated. IMO, a beach dive would have been a small challenge. Had they had a small boat, it would have an easy dive.

a) I don't believe you missed much

Snorkeling and Jetskis still operated

b) for what it is worth the dive is on the outside of the breakwater that shelters the snorkel area and lagoon where the JS operate.

On my 1st trip, half the divers had already been dragged out to the drop point by a jet ski . . . THEN they canx due to an approaching squall ... and drug 'em back. Things calmed by the time the tenders were running tho and the snorkel area was up and busy as ever.

Edited by Capt_BJ