Remind me again - which side of the shuttle bus for Denali?

Assateague Island Princes

Hi all - OP here. Sitting on the deck of the Lake Hood Inn as I type this, watching floatplanes take off and land, and savoring our last night in Alaska. It has been an amazing trip - one that we'll remember forever. I'll post a review once we return home and real life settles back in. For now - some comments about my original question about which side of the bus. OMG - Polychrome Pass. I wasn't prepared for it and never ever realized just how fearful of heights I am! BTW - we ended up in the second seat behind the driver on our first trip into DNP on June 1st to Eielson. Once we hit Polychrome, I immediately changed places with my husband, no way, no how was I sitting that close to the edge of all time as we traveled up, up, up into the great beyond with nothing between me and certain death than a wing and a prayer - LOL! Coming back, I "felt" much safer but refused to even look out the opposite windows.

Then on 6/2, we took an evening trip to Toklat River - 5PM to 11PM. DH sat in the second seat behind the driver and I sat in the second seat on the opposite side of the bus. Coming back, we switched because I didn't want the experience of Polychrome Pass on THAT evil side of the bus. Best part of the story is coming back across Polychrome, a rock slide had occurred since we had passed, so DH and our driver JJ got out to clear the road, with our bus perched precariously on that oh-so-tiny (at least in my mind) ledge, hoping and praying another shuttle didn't come around the corner and send our bus tumbling down into the canyon. Yup, it was a nail biter for me for sure!

This whole trip has been magic - so many amazing things we've seen and done, places we've stayed, and people we've met. I don't want it to end, but alas, all good things come to an end. A more detailed review will follow in the coming days. Thanks to all for your help, thoughtful suggestions, and encouraging words. Another great trip to Alaska under our belts and already planning our return!

Now off to watch the floatplanes and enjoy some more of the gorgeous weather we've had for the past 15 days. Tomorrow we fly to Seattle for an overnight, and then home to Bethlehem, PA on Saturday.....sigh.....

AIP, so glad that it has been a fine trip for you. Have a nice trip home!

Having walking Polychrome pass I don't get the height issue that some people have. The road is plenty wide! But having mountain experience I'm just not bothered.

As far as the issue of 2 people who are traveling together each taking a window seat....yes you will have to share with a stranger who will also want to see out.

I am not a tall person and don't mind the wheel wells, but some folks can't stand them.

I'

For viewing wildlife there is virtually no difference on which side of the bus you sit, because it is simply equally likely to see wildlife on either side of the bus, but if you are really anal retentive, I would think that the RIGHT side of the bus is better. Here is why.

When a bus stops to let the passengers look at wildlife (say, a bear), the people on the side with the bear tend to sit, and the people on the other side of the bus tend to stand up in the aisle to see the bear over the heads of the sitting passengers. So, for example, when the bear is on the left side of the road, the people on the left side of the bus see the bear out their window across the road, and the people on the right side stand up to view the bear across the road. Same thing, but in reverse happens when the bear is on the right side of the bus.

However, if the bus is driving next to a steep hillside drop off on the right side of the bus, people on the right side of the bus will be able to see the bear on the hillside. They will be able to look down. The people from the left side of the bus will not be able to see down the hillside when standing in the aisle. On the other hand, when there is a similar steep hillside drop off on the left side of the bus, neither the people on the left nor the right will see it, because both of them are looking across the road. But of course, if the bus goes all the way to the left edge of the road (which it frequently does) the people sitting on the left will see the bear, whereas the people standing in the aisle wont.

That is the only tiny, TINY, difference that I could come up with.

OP, hope it's OK to hijack as these questions relate to seating as well. I'll be traveling with my sister next month and we've booked the Eielson shuttle for 7 am.

I'm trying to understand what this "sit on opposite sides of the bus" scenario actually looks like. If these are schoolbus type busses, does each "seat" accomodate two people? Say we were able to get window seats on opposite sites. If the bus kept filling up, would we then each have a stranger sitting with us who would obviously be trying to look over us out the window? I'd much rather sit with my sister and switch off at the window than have a stranger breathing down my neck for that long. I don't want to come off as a snob, I'm definitely not, but there are certain circumstances that would make that a miserable experience for me if they happened.

Also, does sitting in the first seat opposite the driver offer any benefit (since I imagine you'd have a forward view as well as the side)? I understand the issue with the first seat behind the driver but didn't quite see anything spelled out about the right side. We're 5' 2" and 5' 4" so legroom might not be a problem if that's the main reason why people would avoid it.

I, too, did not want to deal with a stranger sitting next to me, so sat with my DH. We booked the Wonder Lake tour which lasted almost 12 hours the day we went. I am a pretty friendly, social person, but I would not have wanted to be sitting next to a stranger for that long. I enjoy my hubby too much :D I was more than happy enough with what we got to see. People on our bus were most accommodating to make sure everyone got a chance to see something out their side. Now, if the bus wasn't very full, it would have been a non-issue to take up two seats, because you would likely be alone. I am happy to share a seat with my DH.

I do think the front seat on the right side would be a good choice because you have the front window and the side windows to look out of. I was told the seat behind the driver was a good choice, but after I sat in it a few seconds we quickly moved. I did not like having the driver right in front of me.

Thanks for the responses. They confirmed what I expected, so I'm sure we'll sit together (given our date, I imagine the shuttle would be fairly full). I just saw so many references to the "opposite sides" strategy (on other threads as well) that I wondered if I was missing something.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the responses. They confirmed what I expected, so I'm sure we'll sit together (given our date, I imagine the shuttle would be fairly full). I just saw so many references to the "opposite sides" strategy (on other threads as well) that I wondered if I was missing something.

We are doing the #12 RC cruisetour starting 7/28.. and i've reserved the shuttle to Eielson and after reading these posts-I just can't wait! It's our 2nd Alaska cruise, but first time to Denali. We're taking the 8am bus and i was wondering if anyone knows what time the sandwich shops opens? I'm thinking that we might just bring some bread and pb&j packs that we've swiped from Cocos and make our own. I understand the bus stops about every 1 1/2 hours - or if wildlife it seen - is that correct? Two in our group will still be coming off knee/foot surgeries and I'm wondering what the breaks are like.. and about how long they last..

The sandwich shops open plenty early. You can also order box lunches at your hotel and a couple restaurants in Glitter Gulch. I use the bus ride as an excuse to munch on M & M's (no mess), nuts, etc. I make up a large Thermos of coffee at the hotel or have my Thermos filled in a restaurant. I also have a few snack bars.

The stops are about 15-20 minutes with plenty of time to get off the bus, walk around, etc.

Advise your folks with injuries to avoid sitting over the wheel wells are leg room in limited. However, as a short person, I seek out one of those seats.

Archived