Remind me again - which side of the shuttle bus for Denali?

Assateague Island Princes

Good morning to all you Denali experts. Today is THE day we head to the Great Land for our 17 day Alaskan adventure. While we've cruised to AK four times (two 7 day HAL cruises and two 14 day HAL cruises) we've never done a land only trip, so this is major excitement for us.

We're booked on the Eielson shuttle this Saturday, June 1st from 8AM-4PM, and then on the Toklat River shuttle on Sunday, June 2nd from 5PM-11PM.

I know I have it - somewhere in my mounds of information - but can anyone tell me their seat preferance heading into the park? Left or right side? Near the front? Right behind the driver? Or in the back? Any help would be much appreciated - otherwise I face the insurmountable task of reading thru a thick stack of information:(.

Thanks so much for all the terrific information I have gained on this board - certainly helped me to plan the trip of our dreams with relative ease.

Shout out to PennyAgain - we're coming back, will wave to Annie as we head north; and to MyTime, looking forward to traveling thru your neck of the woods while driving up to DNP on Friday - will be on the look out for "your" backyard moose:p.

AIP, Bon Voyage!

It matters not where you sit on the bus as long as one of you has a clean window!

Annie will be at her post up on the mountain. We talked on Mother's Day and she had a lot of snow but I think things have improved.

Travel well!

There are sights on boths sides of the bus. Going into the park the mountain views are mostly on the left. But, most of our animal sightings were on the right.

The animals pick where they want to roam --so, that could be different.

We moved back and forth between the sides taking pictures. Everyone was very friendly and worked with each other.

You are going in and out on the same road. If by some chance you pick the "wrong" side of the bus going in (it really does not matter which side you are on - they are both OK), you will be on the "right" side going out.

DON

Wildlife can be anywhere. The best thing to do is grab seats on both sides of the bus so you aren't leaning over strangers when the views are on the other side.

I like sitting near the front to catch questions and comments from the driver .. not everything gets on the mic. And I don't want to sit over the wheels.

If you're afraid of heights don't sit on the drivers side... there's a very steep drop off at Polychrome Pass. Have a great trip!!

Thanks to all - I'm obviously stressing for nothing. Appeciate the point, Mapleleaves, about not sitting on the "hump" - both of us have long legs so that wouldn't work for us.

And thank you all for the good wishes. Looking forward to this land only trip, enjoying some time in Denali, then at Matanuska Glacier, Girdwood, and then a whole week in Homer. Woo-hoo!

Hoping this spectacular weather that Alaska has been experiences holds out just a bit longer. If not, eh, who cares? I'll be there and that is the important part.

Once again, many thanks!

Wildlife can be anywhere. The best thing to do is grab seats on both sides of the bus so you aren't leaning over strangers when the views are on the other side.

I like sitting near the front to catch questions and comments from the driver .. not everything gets on the mic. And I don't want to sit over the wheels.

If you're afraid of heights don't sit on the drivers side... there's a very steep drop off at Polychrome Pass. Have a great trip!!

Great advice. The side behind the driver has the great views along Polychrome Pass.

I don't like the first row right behind the driver. On some buses it can be quite cramped for legroom. Also, if you are right behind the driver, you often have to deal with his highback chair or a jacket he hangs next to him, both of which can restrict your views. The second row is my favorite if there is no wheelwell to deal with.

I'm a short person so I head for those seats over the wheels.

I've been known to carry a bottle of Windex and paper towels to clean the inside of the windows on the bus....but hey, who's obsessive? I've cleaned the train windows as well.

When driving yourself around Alaska Windex and paper towels are a real necessity for windows, headlights and tail lights.

Now you've heard it all.

Have a ball!

I've been known to carry a bottle of Windex and paper towels to clean the inside of the windows on the bus....but hey, who's obsessive? I've cleaned the train windows as well.

When driving yourself around Alaska Windex and paper towels are a real necessity for windows, headlights and tail lights.

Now you've heard it all.

Have a ball!

Penny - thanks for the Windex tip. We'll have a rental car so I guess we'll stop at Walmart (or something similar) and pick up some Windex and paper towels! Oh and maybe some food for those pesky kids that are coming with us - teenagers! Guess you have to feed them at some point or they will eat anything in sight!:D

I don't like the first row right behind the driver. On some buses it can be quite cramped for legroom. Also, if you are right behind the driver, you often have to deal with his highback chair or a jacket he hangs next to him, both of which can restrict your views. The second row is my favorite if there is no wheelwell to deal with.

My thoughts exactly.

Now you've heard it all.

Have a ball!

Our driver provided paper towel, but not windex that I recall.

Great advice. The side behind the driver has the great views along Polychrome Pass.

Am I missing something? If you miss the views of Polychrome Pass on the way out, don't you see the same view when the bus is returning. That seems to be my recollection.

Weather can affect how you see the colors of Polychrome Pass so taking the best seat for the outbound trip is a good plan. In any case if you get to see it clearly 2x, your lucky day!

As far as the Windex goes, yes to buying some in Alaska as well as a cheap cooler for those snacks, pops, etc.

A clear window will improve your views, but also makes for safer driving. I say 'Windex' but any good window clearer will do.

Am I missing something? If you miss the views of Polychrome Pass on the way out, don't you see the same view when the bus is returning. That seems to be my recollection.

Yes, of course you would see it from "your" side on the way back. But somehow I would think it loses just a little of its luster when it is not your first time experiencing it.

Funny thing is that even though it looks quite high and daunting, Polychrome Pass is not even the highest point on the park road.

Point taken! At 5'7" I would never have considered that the wheel well might be an advantage for someone. I guess EVERYTHING is subjective!

I also wanted to clarify my comment about seating for Polychrome Pass. The drop off is on the OTHER side of the road when you drive INTO the park so it's not as scarey. If you sit on the drivers side you have a great view across the valley but if you don't like heights, sit on the non driver side. On the return trip, the bus drives along the edge of the 'cliff' so if you have a problem with heights sit on the drivers side in order to be away from the dropoff.

The view is spectacular but I have to admit that I always change seats for the return trip. The road appears very narrow thru the pass, there are no guard rails and the edge of the road is loose gravel. I always have visions of meeting another bus and our back tires slide off the road as we squeeze by. Surprise, I have a fear of heights! I think the drivers must communicate their position because I've never passed another bus in the Pass.

So I guess this means that they don't allow you to open the windows for pictures?

So I guess this means that they don't allow you to open the windows for pictures?

I've only ridden the shuttle buses and we were always allowed to open the windows. The only warning was to keep your hands/arms inside the bus. On the last trip, the guy behind me had a camera lens that was about the size of a small cannon ... he had to have the window open to take photos.

At rest stops, the drivers provided paper towels to clean the windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - OP here. Sitting on the deck of the Lake Hood Inn as I type this, watching floatplanes take off and land, and savoring our last night in Alaska. It has been an amazing trip - one that we'll remember forever. I'll post a review once we return home and real life settles back in. For now - some comments about my original question about which side of the bus. OMG - Polychrome Pass. I wasn't prepared for it and never ever realized just how fearful of heights I am! BTW - we ended up in the second seat behind the driver on our first trip into DNP on June 1st to Eielson. Once we hit Polychrome, I immediately changed places with my husband, no way, no how was I sitting that close to the edge of all time as we traveled up, up, up into the great beyond with nothing between me and certain death than a wing and a prayer - LOL! Coming back, I "felt" much safer but refused to even look out the opposite windows.

Then on 6/2, we took an evening trip to Toklat River - 5PM to 11PM. DH sat in the second seat behind the driver and I sat in the second seat on the opposite side of the bus. Coming back, we switched because I didn't want the experience of Polychrome Pass on THAT evil side of the bus. Best part of the story is coming back across Polychrome, a rock slide had occurred since we had passed, so DH and our driver JJ got out to clear the road, with our bus perched precariously on that oh-so-tiny (at least in my mind) ledge, hoping and praying another shuttle didn't come around the corner and send our bus tumbling down into the canyon. Yup, it was a nail biter for me for sure!

This whole trip has been magic - so many amazing things we've seen and done, places we've stayed, and people we've met. I don't want it to end, but alas, all good things come to an end. A more detailed review will follow in the coming days. Thanks to all for your help, thoughtful suggestions, and encouraging words. Another great trip to Alaska under our belts and already planning our return!

Now off to watch the floatplanes and enjoy some more of the gorgeous weather we've had for the past 15 days. Tomorrow we fly to Seattle for an overnight, and then home to Bethlehem, PA on Saturday.....sigh.....

I, also, was not prepared for Polychrome Pass. I did not recall reading anything about it prior to my trip and then I experienced it!! :eek: I honestly don't know if I can do it again or not. Time will tell!!!

OP, hope it's OK to hijack as these questions relate to seating as well. I'll be traveling with my sister next month and we've booked the Eielson shuttle for 7 am.

I'm trying to understand what this "sit on opposite sides of the bus" scenario actually looks like. If these are schoolbus type busses, does each "seat" accomodate two people? Say we were able to get window seats on opposite sites. If the bus kept filling up, would we then each have a stranger sitting with us who would obviously be trying to look over us out the window? I'd much rather sit with my sister and switch off at the window than have a stranger breathing down my neck for that long. I don't want to come off as a snob, I'm definitely not, but there are certain circumstances that would make that a miserable experience for me if they happened.

Also, does sitting in the first seat opposite the driver offer any benefit (since I imagine you'd have a forward view as well as the side)? I understand the issue with the first seat behind the driver but didn't quite see anything spelled out about the right side. We're 5' 2" and 5' 4" so legroom might not be a problem if that's the main reason why people would avoid it.

Archived