Need San Francisco Help

KarenC

We can't find a flight we want that leaves SF late enough, so we are staying overnight after our cruise. Can someone give me an idea of distances in SF please?

For example, I've read that it is about 45 minutes from the cruise pier to the airport - is that right? Any idea what that would cost in a cab?

Is there more than one place where cruise ships dock?

Can anyone give me an idea of cab fares and times from the airport to the downtown (sightseeing) area?

Thanks for any help anyone can give us.

Hi:) I would suggest using the SUPERSHUTTLE from your hotel to the airport.

They are all over the city and the price is much more reasonable.

I sailed from SF last year and used the Supershuttle from the airport to my

hotel and it was about 13.00 if memory serves.

Try this, www.supershuttle.com and hopefully that link will help you.

Thank you. That looks like exactly what we need.

Do you know how far the cruise pier is from the hotels in the downtown (sightseeing) area? We will only have one day and know we won't be able to see very much.

I agree with Super Shuttle . used it several times.

Online they take reservations and credit card payments.

WATCH out tho .. the reservations are booked Home-Airport-Home... if you are going Airport-Hotel-Airport .. you sort of have to book things backwards. Also would imagine they would reserve pier to town .. call for that booking tho.

As far as hotels and choices .. its a HUGE city with lots of options. I personally enjoy the wandering thru China Town more than the touristy Pier (#?). Sasuilito is a great ferry ride across the bay and wonderful wandering/shopping. Also price can be a huge variable with hotels .. the FAB ones are sky high prices but in many cases well worth it! For one night tho the choices really are up to you and your wallet/desires. If you have any frequent-stayer afinity I would use that as my starting point.

It is just a ton of office buildings and high end stores. If you bid 3* on Priceline for the Fishermans Wharf area you will be within walking distance of the pier. Additionally a short walk away is both the street car and the cable car and both of those can get you around town for very little cost. If you are good walkers and travelling somewhat lightly you don't even need super shuttle. About 1 1/4 miles from Fishermans Wharf is the BART station which is like the subway. You can ride BART to the airport for about $4 per person.

You may want to take a look at http://www.sfvisitor.org. They have a lot of info and will send you a great map and coupon book for free. They also list a lot of things to do. Have a great time. It is an amazing city. :)

We did a pre & post in San Francisco last October and loved it. We took the Supershuttle from the airport to the hotel and the hotel actually gave us a better recommendation to use after the trip and was a couple of bucks per person cheaper. I'll check my notes to get the name and get back to you if interested. We stayed at the Argonaut Hotel which is at the other end of the Wharf and loved the hotel and the area, it's only about 2 to 3 blocks from the main Wharf Square. There's a good blues club (Lou's) near where we stayed and it was close to the Maritime Museum, Ghiradelli's Square(sp??), cable cab area and lots more. Enjoy and have fun.

Debbie

PS I wanted to try the BART but I was a little nervous with all the luggage and not being there before maybe next time.

Thanks for all the information. We're still undecided whether to stay in the Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square East, or Union Square West areas. Fortunately we still have a little time to decide.

I think I'd be afraid to try the BART too with all the luggage.

Karen, I spent a week in SF in April; we stayed at the Pan Pacific, booked through Hotwire @ $89/night. We also had a $30 rebate from the Entertainment book (it was in my hometown book). Easily walking distance to Union Square and trolley lines, and a beautiful hotel. They also have private car service to get you around...I think it is a 2-mile radius...complimentary.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in San Francisco. Haven't ridden in a taxi for a while (about 10 years) but the ride from Pier 41 or 37 (where the cruise ships dock) to the San Francisco Airport will take about 45 minutes, depending on traffic. So taxi cost is probably around $40 and up. Supershuttles work great if you plan early. They will make more than one stop to pick up passengers elsewhere if there are not many in your hotel.

For hotels, you should think about the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf or some of the hotels near the Pier 39 end. You can grab your luggage once you get off your ship and walk with the luggage for 1 1/2 blocks vs. waiting with others for a taxi. Since you have only one day, stay near the Wharf. You can take the cable cars to Union Square, North Beach and Chinatown. Wonderful way to see the city in one day. Plus, there are tons of taxis in the area of Fisherman's Wharf.

Have fun in the city.

If you are traveling light and want to save money, you can take BART right to the airport. A taxi from the port, or surrounding area, to Embarcadero BART station will be less than $10. For information on BART, visit, www.BART.gov. My parents, who are in their 80's, use BART to go to/from the airport when they travel. It's very convenient and easy to use. Current fare from the Embarcadero Station to SFO is $4.95 per person.

Archived