Venice Luggage and Transportation Question

dltodaro2

Hi -

I am taking a cruise with 10 people. After the cruise I would like to store my luggage and enjoy Venice for the day/evening before going to my hotel located near the airport - Best Western Airvenice. Should I store it at the cruise terminal or at Piazzale Roma? I read that I had to pick up luggage by 5pm at the cruise terminal, therfore I was thinking Piazzale Roma. Also any advice on getting from Venice to the hotel for the evening would be appreciated. I read the hotel is within 10 minutes of the train station. I havent been able to find exact directions to the hotel via train. We will have luggage so I am thinking we should take a taxi however, I have no idea the cost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Debbie

The hotel is in a very awkward location for visiting Venice. The airport is about 30 minutes north of Venice and the hotel is another 10-15 minutes north of that. A taxi from Venice to the airport runs about 45E, so the hotel will be at least 60E.

I suggest that you look at hotels near the train station in Mestre. Mestre is just across the causeway from Venice so trains and buses run every 10 minutes and cost under 2E plus the ATVO express bus runs to the airport for 7E.

You'll find Mestre hotels in this link:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre.htm

I'd use the luggage storage at Piazzale Roma. It's easy to find and open late:

http://www.trasbagagli.it/en/index.shtml?services

Agree with Mapleleaves (above post). Having been to Venice many times (both cruises and European driving trips) we have learned that the primary consideration for booking a Venice area hotel should normally be your itinerary. For instance, when cruising in or out of Venice and staying for a few days we usually book a hotel in the Piazale Roma (Ca Doge). Moving 10 folks plus luggage to an airport hotel will be a challenge unless you arrange for private transportation (you can do this online). You could also use taxis, but it will probably take at least 2 van taxis (not always easy to find) or several normal taxis. Another option is to take the very reasonably priced ATVO bus from the Piazale Roma to the airport and arrange for transportation to your hotel (perhaps your hotel will give you transfers). Otherwise, we agree with the other advice that you should try to change your hotel to one in Mestre located within walking distance to the train station.

Keep in mind that the luggage storage service at the P. Roma is not free. The last time we looked it cost 5 Euros per piece.

Hank

Yes, I agree you should check Meistre hotels. They are right next to the train station and much more convenient. Also, when we stayed at the Tritone they allowed us to leave our bags for free after we checked out. We went back and collected them before heading to the ship. Otherwise, you can leave your bags at the luggage storage place at the Piazelle Roma but it will cost you something like 7 Euros per bag.

Thank you all for your responses. I think the wisest thing would be to change hotels however....I think the group will be against it.

I think I will store the luggage at Piazale Roma.

Then take the ATVO bus over to the airport.

The hotel has a shuttle from the airport or take a taxi.

Questions:

It looks like we would take the people mover over to Piazale Roma and then store the luggage.

I was unable to read the ATVO bus schedule and fares. I could not find Piazale Roma on the timetable list on their website. Should I be looking for a different name? I want to figure out how often the bus leaves Piazale Roma, the cost, and when is the last bus.

Thank you for all your help!!

Deb

Thank you all for your responses. I think the wisest thing would be to change hotels however....I think the group will be against it.

I think I will store the luggage at Piazale Roma.

Then take the ATVO bus over to the airport.

The hotel has a shuttle from the airport or take a taxi.

Questions:

It looks like we would take the people mover over to Piazale Roma and then store the luggage.

I was unable to read the ATVO bus schedule and fares. I could not find Piazale Roma on the timetable list on their website. Should I be looking for a different name? I want to figure out how often the bus leaves Piazale Roma, the cost, and when is the last bus.

Buses run twice an hour, at 20 and 50 minutes past the hr. The last bus to the airport is at 9:10pm.

The Left Luggage facility is close to the People Mover when you exit.

http://www.atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Linea_35_(dal_31.03_al_26.10.2013).pdf

Here is the bus schedule http://www.atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Linea_35_(dal_31.03_al_26.10.2013).pdf

Have you considered telling the group you have decided staying in a different hotel would be best for you for your one night in Venice? (Yes, your ship might overnight there, but it's still not much time in Venice.). You could tell them why you decided to do it and where you're staying. Then they could all decide what's best for them.

We have a 3 pm departure from Venice airport and was wondering what we do with our luggage, will we be able to leave them at the cruise port or does it make sense to take them to p.L Roma? We were thinking of taking a private transfer to the airport.

Archived