Skagway Helicopter Excursion

chfs_home

I've been lurking a few weeks now and this is a great community! Just booked our very first cruise, Sapphire Aug 5 2006 to Alaska, for our 15th anniversary and we are so excited!:) I searched for an answer to this on this and the Alaska board, but could not find it. There does not seem to be a big difference in price for the helicopter glacier landings whether booked through Princess or directly with the helicopter companies. Have any of you experienced this as well? Or am I just looking in the wrong places? We are thinking of doing the tour in Skagway as we have the most time there so we can do this and drive to Emerald Lake.

There is only one company in Skagway- TEMSCO and it is cheaper to book independently IF THEY have the space. Some days it is entirely ship contracted. A key with independent touring in Alaska is not so much the cost savings but the superior tours and smaller groups, with far more personal attention. Keep reading, you are way early to be deciding anything. :) Over and over you will see a range of excellent reports to consider, and way more touring than you can do in 10 trips. By next year you will have great ideas to consider. Allow at least 5 hours for the drive to Emerald Lake.

I did the Temsco helicopter tour in Skagway last year. I booked with them independently. I wished I had booked with the cruise ship, and here's why: Temsco will not pick up independents at the pier, nor will they return you afterwards. Only ship-sponsored tours provide round-trip van service.

I walked from the pier to the helicopter site where the tour begins, and it was about a one-mile hike. The van driver graciously offered me a return ride, but only when it became obvious that I was walking while the van had a few empty seats left ... and I can tell you that I received more than one dirty look from passengers who obviously felt I should not be entitled to ride back with them!

So unless you don't mind the walk there and back (you might not luck out on empty seats), spend the extra couple of bucks and book through the ship.

I did the ship's sponsored dog-sledding tour in Skagway. It's expensive, but SO WORTH IT! It's really 2 tours in 1 package since you fly up and are shown/told about all the wondeful glaciers. Then you get to the dog camp and get to have fun. On the way back you get to see the marvelous glaciers. Have a wonderful time. I wish I was going with you! :rolleyes:

for late August dog sledding? Curious val2thebeach:rolleyes:

I did the ship's sponsored dog-sledding tour in Skagway. It's expensive, but SO WORTH IT! It's really 2 tours in 1 package since you fly up and are shown/told about all the wondeful glaciers. Then you get to the dog camp and get to have fun. On the way back you get to see the marvelous glaciers. Have a wonderful time. I wish I was going with you! :rolleyes:

I have been lucky enough to do both a helicopter tour in Skagway and in Juneau on separate trips. All I can say is take the longest one you can afford. It is just a breath taking experience. The glacier landings are fun also. The one I took in Skagway was my favorite because of the gorgeous glacier and it was magical because it was the first time to land on a glacier. You cannot get the full idea of the massiveness of the state of Alaska until you are in the air and see all of the mountain ranges. I just can't wait to go back and explore some places I have not seen.

We did both tours through the ship and had a great experience both times. Everything is done for you and it is so easy. Not the time to lie about your weight. I hope you get a window seat.

I just got back from my Alaskan cruise. You can read a review of my Helicopter tour in the Alaska section.

Temson Heli tour by a chicken passenger.

I don't know where that wrong spelling of Temsco came from, my fingers must have working too fast or my brain too slow.:eek:

BTW we did walk over from our ship, but it was enjoyable because we had to walk through town to get there. After the tour they didn't even ask, they just told us that they would take us back to the ship.

for late August dog sledding? Curious val2thebeach:rolleyes:

Hi val2,

Well, I went in late June and early July on both of my trips dog-sledding. They take you up high so there is snow, but if it's been warm up in Alaska it could be slushy in parts. On one trip they had a heat wave in Alaska the week before, so it was slushy. Still, it's a marvelous trip and I would go again in a heartbeat.

:) Dazee

Archived