First Time Cruiser Review: NCL Epic West Med

Cloudyrain

I'm loving your review. Which night was Deal or No Deal, and how do you get tickets? This is something my daughters would love, but I didn't know tickets were required.

The tickets (or actually game boards or something like that) are for participating the game and trying to win the prices. No tickets needed to just sit and watch the game. I haven't actually been to any of the games so I'm sure that OP can elaborate more, but we have heard multiple times about the winners and the game itself promoted during the bingo sessions (our choice for throwing money away for entertainment onboard ;)).

I'm loving your review. Which night was Deal or No Deal, and how do you get tickets? This is something my daughters would love, but I didn't know tickets were required.

Thank you! I think it was afternoon on the sea day, and the night time of Florence or Marseille (can't remember which). Tickets were sold in the atrium through the afternoon - it was advertised as a highlight in the daily. Good luck, it was really good fun! :D

Congratulations on your marriage! :) Why don't you just book another cruise! We'd love to see you August 7-14 embarking in ROME!

So enjoying your review! Keep it up!

Thank you! We would definitely go again - there is so much we feel like we missed, a week isn't enough!

There is a small selection of expensive necessaries available on each NCL ship including items for personal hygiene, painkillers, medicine for flu/cough/sea sickness, etc. IIRC on Epic the shelf was in the far left back corner in the shop that sells liqour, it's quite well hidden so missing it is very understandable - hopefully you didn't need anything of the kind too bad. :)

No, fortunately I'm a prepared packer! Ahh, I didn't go in there so that would be why I didn't see it. A week is certainly not enough time to explore the epic!

Getting to Port

We booked our cruise with a high street TA, and decided to go for the package of flights and transfers too: it was our honeymoon and I had enough planning with the wedding and realised I am definitely not a good planner!

We stayed at the Manchester Hilton the night before and used their car parking service which was really easy: I would definitely recommend it. If we were to stay again though we would definitely eat dinner before arriving as the price of the food in the restaurant is ridiculous!

Check in with Jet2 was straightforward and then we went into the executive lounge. To be honest I'm glad we didn't pay for this (perk of the husbands job) because the food and coffee is not good, and it just looks dirty!

The flight was nice and quick, but our luggage was last out. By the time we got through to the arrivals hall there was no NCL rep anywhere! We walked up and down the arrivals hall asking anyone with a lanyard if they knew where BC (the NCL transfer agent) or NCL were. Everyone gave us the same answer - saw them earlier but haven't seen them in a while!

Starting to get a bit stressed out, and tired from the travelling/walking/dragging luggage we sat down and called every number we had for BC and NCL. Eventually I managed to get hold of a very helpful lady working for BC and she arranged for someone to collect us. If I had realised how close the port was to the airport I would have just got a taxi, and in future we would, but at the time I didn't realise how it all worked.

Arriving (eventually) at Port we left our suitcases on the bus as instructed and went to queue. First impressions of the ship were "it's massive - we are going to be queuing forever"! Luckily, although it was a long line it moved quite well and took little over an hour to get through security and check in. At this point we were literally skipping down the gangway to get on board. I even let out a little "eeeeeekkkkkk!" noise :D

We have used NCL transfers 3 times and every time there has been some problem. Everyone knows I love NCL, but I do not like their transfer system. In all fairness though, one problem was not just theirs, the transfer company must have overbooked and it affect NCL, Princess and RCI, all sailing out of L.A. the same day.

• 1 month later...

Naples

We booked Pompeii and a bonus Naples tour with Cruising Excursions and had to be outside the terminal at 8am if i remember rightly. We were met promptly, but then had half an hour waiting around for people who were late getting off ship.

It was only a small group and the coach was nice. The guide talked through a lot of the 20 minute journey to Pompeii pointing out things of interest. When we arrived we were dropped near the entrance and there was a short queue for tickets. PLEASE NOTE: they only accept euros, not dollars or credit cards. Because of someone coming without Euros we had to wait until they found somewhere to change their currency. Also, if people are over 65 and have their passports they get in free!

The tour was good and the guide was very informative and obviously very passionate. We enjoyed this, though at times Pompeii git very busy with large groups of cruise ship tourists - I am surprised more people don't get lost!

Afterwards we had short time to get a drink and use the toilets (for 1euro) before the walk back to the bus. Most of the buses park away from the entrance and it is a 5 to 10 minute walk. Then we drove through Naples and the guide pointed out some of the main attractions.

I have to admit, we were quite tired from the walking and the early start so decided against venturing around Naples on foot. If we were to go again I would probably just make our own way to Heracleum and walk around Naples as it's very close to the port.

Rome

We actually didn't go to Rome as we decided we are going to go for the weekend on a mini-break, so we just stayed at Port.

After a leisurely breakfast we got the free shuttle to Civitavechhia and wandered around. We went into the museum and were quite unimpressed - just pleased it is free! We walked along the front and took a few pictures of the huge sailor (it is massive) and then wandered into the castle. BE AWARE: the castle is a naval base, not a tourist attraction - fortunately they saw the funny side and didn't arrest us, but it was a bit touch and go for a minute! :eek:

Archived