New York

luxury

Hi everyone, We love CCL and would like to take the New England Cruise on the Triumph in Sept. '05 out of New York. We will drive from Va. Does anyone have a hotel suggestion? Has anyone done a train from Va. to NY? How complicated is it to park near the docks? Lots of questions...I would love to have some help....Thanks to you all and happy cruising.

Sandy/Luxury

Hi everyone, We love CCL and would like to take the New England Cruise on the Triumph in Sept. '05 out of New York. We will drive from Va. Does anyone have a hotel suggestion? Has anyone done a train from Va. to NY? How complicated is it to park near the docks? Lots of questions...I would love to have some help....Thanks to you all and happy cruising.

Sandy/Luxury

We live in NYC and are celebratinging a family get-together on this cruise. Parking is available at the pier. Hotels are $$$$ in Manhattan. Is there any way you could take public transportation from Virginia? It would save you hotel expenses, parking, etc..

We've done this cruise before. I think you will especially enjoy Halifax. Let me know what other questions you have.

I live in the NY area, and have taken the train to Virginia, when we honeymooned in Williamsburg. If you are on Amtrak, (who else?) you will get off the train in Penn Station. Penn is on 33rd street, right UNDER Madison Square Garden. Grand Central Station is about 10 blocks away, give or take a block. There are subways that connect the two with the rest of NYC. The cruise ship dock is on the river (duh) at about 55th street, right near the Intrepid Museum. There is a reasonably priced hotel right across the street from Penn station, called the Hotel Pennsylvania. I haven't stayed there, though, so I can't tell what the rooms and service are like. We have stayed at the Shelburne Murray Hill, which is a little pricey, but we got it through our time share with Disney. It looks right at the Empire State Building, and the rooms are suites that sleep six and have little kitchens. A month ago, we stayed at the Sheraton on 7th Ave. and 53rd (I think), which was nice but expensive. I suggest you look on Tripadvisor.com, which gives a lot of useful info, including customer RATINGS and REVIEWS of the hotels. I would then check hotels.com to see if I could get a good rate, and/or the hotel chain's website. Warning: NYC hotels can be very expensive. If you want to see a broadway show, there is a website called broadway.com which can get you show tickets and hotel room. But if you are not too fussy about what show you see, there is a 1/2 price ticket booth on Duffy Square (right near Times Square) called TKTS. They sell tickets for shows that have seats left, on the day of the show. Have a great time!

Not only are hotels expensive in New York, parking is outrageous. Parking at the Terminal is $24 per day. I doubt you will find a much cheaper rate than that. Hotels will run around $200 per night. Can you take Amtrak up to NYC? You can take a cab to the Terminal from Penn Station for less than $10.

We sailed out of New York three times on Carnival. The first time we stayed at the Marriott Renaissance in East Rutherford NJ and the last time we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Secaucus NJ. Both hotels will allow you to leave your car there for free while you sail. The Embassy Suites has a bus stop right outside the hotel. You can ride the bus into Port Authority for $2.60 per person. The driver will put your luggage underneath for you. When you get to Port Authority you can either walk the 10 blocks or so or you can use a cab. Either way it is MUCH cheaper than parking at the pier. We actually used a limo service for the cruise itself. The limo service we used is called Josies. But we did use the bus service many times to and from the city and it worked great.

I agree with jfritz126. I live in Hoboken, NJ -- you can see the cruise ships across the river. You're probably better off staying in a hotel in NJ and simply taking the ferry, subway, train, or bus to NYC to hop on your cruise.

Most hotels in NJ will allow you to leave the car without charging you a fee.

The Homestead Suites in Edgewater is brand-spankin' new, with a very nice outdoor mall and several fine dining restaurants. There is a large Stadium-seating movie theatre just next door. You'll find that this is directly across the river from your port -- so you can watch your ship come in that morning.

The Sheraton in Weehawken is a nice hotel. It's probably one of your best bets, because the Waterway Ferry to NYC stops just outside the hotel. You can take it right over to NYC and catch one of the Waterway's free buses to the port.

Also, if you take the train from VA to Penn Station in Newark, NJ, you can take a bus that drops you off in Weehawken or a cab -- shouldn't be more than $20.

Hope it helps....:)

Thank you guys for all your help....your advice sounds wonderful...we love the hassle free vacation cruising gives us. With your help, the Canada cruise out of New York should be just that...thanks again, Sandy

We stayed at Shearton Manhatten a block or so from Time Square. Nice and close to a lot of things. You'll enjoy New York, we were only there a day and had a ball, take a tour of the city and try and see all you can.

We did a 4 hour tour with a limo service and then about a hour befor dusk done a carriage ride at Central Park

Wow!!!

Have fun and your also love the Canada cruise we went last year New York to Halifax with stops at Boston, Portland and St. John and Halifax.

Marcy

Being your name is Luxury, and you're probably paying at least $100 pp on your cruise, I saw go for the $200 per night rate and stay in Manhattan. Then come and go as you like, including enjoying the town. Hell, try 2 nights! Then take a cab to the pier. Leave your car in VA, and take the train. Less hassle. Penn Station is at 34th and 7th. You can go anywhere from there.

And, all the other suggestions here are fine as well.

Happy sailing!

I've said it before but the Skyline Hotel (49th St. & 10th Ave.) is very reasonable & within walking distance of Times Square, theatres, restuarants & the pier. If you choose to drive the hotel provides parking during your stay for $8 a day, you could try and work out a rate with them to leave your car during your cruise,it's been done before.

Archived