Driving around the south side of Maui? How long will it take?

Ruth

We are renting a car two days while at port....1st Day -Plan to drive to Hana then south around Kapahuu...around the South Side of Maui...doesn't look like much on the South Side...But maybe the view is nice...We were wondering if we leave the airport with our rental car about 9am....Would we also have time to do the Haleakala Vistors Center/Volcano then back to the port...All in one day....

2nd Day we were planning to Drive on the North West coast to Lahaina and spend some time at the beach....Unless someone has a better beach to go to...

Thanks

We are renting a car two days while at port....1st Day -Plan to drive to Hana then south around Kapahuu...around the South Side of Maui...doesn't look like much on the South Side...But maybe the view is nice...We were wondering if we leave the airport with our rental car about 9am....Would we also have time to do the Haleakala Vistors Center/Volcano then back to the port...All in one day....

Trying to circumnavigate the east lobe and driving to the summit on the same day is a bit of a challenge. You should be able to one, or the other, but trying to do both is not a good idea. You'll spend the entire time trying to rush and won't enjoy yourselves.

You can easily circumnavigate the east lobe starting at 9, but there will be more traffic than if you started earlier. There are no facilities (or improved road in places) on the south side, so plan accordingly. Also, many rental car contracts prohibit travel on that road, so be sure you're ready to take on the financial responsibility of a breakdown or accident. That said, it is a breathtakingly beautiful drive. Be sure to stop at the winery in Ulupalukua on the way back.

2nd Day we were planning to Drive on the North West coast to Lahaina and spend some time at the beach....Unless someone has a better beach to go to... Thanks
Same contract restrictions may apply to the north road to Lahaina. Again, however, a spectacular drive.

Everyone has a "favorite" beach. The three Kama`ole beaches in Kihei are favorites.

There are many things to see and do on Maui, and with only two days it is normal to want to see as much of it as possible. Don't lose sight of the fact you're on vacation and might want to relax a bit. Driving winding, twisty, narrow roads might not be the most relaxing way to spend your time, especially if you have a time commitment.

Enjoy!

I recommend starting the Road to Hana at the latest by 8 am. Better if you start even earlier around 7 or 7:30 am. Less traffic, less hassles parking, more time alone at some of the attractions. Overall, very lilttle downside (besides getting up early on vacation)

And Bob and Sandi know my view of the northwest road to Lahaina - I don't recommend it and encourage people to use the standard Honoapiilani Highway along the southwest coast to get to Lahaina. You think the Road to Hana is bad? The northwest road is worse, IMHO. Otherwise, I agree with everything else that they said. :D

Spleen

There's a lot so see in Maui. And it can't all be seen and experienced one a day or two. I would suggest spending 2/3 time seeing stuff and 1/3 the time in a nice beach chair looking out over the other islands right across the channel, kicking back and smelling the roses (or plumeria).

Take your shoes off, loosen your shirt. Let that BP drop a bit. Enjoy the scenery. Take those memories home. :cool:

1st Day...

So I guess you all are saying take the road to Hana 1st day....but don't drive around the south side and go to the volcano...I guess at Hana....turn around and come back same way..

2nd Day...

Drive arcoss the island on Hwy 380 or 30 (I can't read the map) to the south side then to Lahaina...along the coast take the sites in here,

Thanks

Even the pictures of the Northwest drive around Maui look scary. According to this article, the road was paved in the 90's and some rental companies have removed the restrictions.http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Kahekili-Hwy.htm

I think that's the point that I turned around at ... :)

Ruth - actually, I do recommend doing the south side past Hana if you can - very different scenery than the rest of the Road. Of course, the issues with the rental car contract might be a deal breaker for some.

Spleen

(This is beachchick)

It is a rare moment that I disagree with Spleen, but this time I do. The northwest/northeast road around Maui is something we've always wanted to try, but haven't (because of car rental contracts, not going to break them, and the road itself). This time our car rental contract didn't include the exclusion for the road. We did it in about 3 hours. Some caveats: The driver must be experienced with narrow road/winding road/nearly not a road driving; the driver and pax must know single lane driving rules and follow them--plus, the motto must be, if you can pull over to let another car pass or go by, do it, period; the drive must be done slowly, don't do it if you just want to zoom through to say you did it--not going to happen and a good way to have a car wreck; the driver and pax must not be the type to get car sick or freak out over difficult or unusual driving areas. I'm not kidding about any of these. My DH (that would be beachguy) is an extremely experienced driver (BTW: he drove a 4-wheel to the summit of Mauna Kea this trip!) and looked at all the conditions and recommendations first. One thing he does that's not usually taught is to look across any open spaces (valleys, distant turns, etc.) for oncoming cars. That way he can be prepared as far in advance as possible. Several times, we pulled into a safe turnout even before the other cars were near us. We just waited for them to come by and then carefully went on our way. The really hard part of this road is about 8 miles long, but it seems like 50. However, the scenery, vegetation, and wildlife are incredible. This is not a drive to just casually take though, at least IMHO.

beachchick

I'm not saying that it can't be done ... but for the average person who's complaining about the Road to Hana, this is even more difficult by a large margin and people should be aware of the potential pitfalls about the road before doing it. By all means, if you are confident of the driver and the vehicle, go for it - it's true that the scenery here is spectacular (at least, the portion that we saw) :D

Spleen

I absolutely agree that if someone is complaining about the difficulty of the road to Hana that they should not even consider it. No doubt about that--it's much harder, IMO (and DH's too). I'm really glad we did it, but no way would I have done it with another driver.

beachchick

We only went half way; did not find it difficult but found it very over stated as to the beauty you would find. Maybe it would have gotten better if we stayed on it, but it bored us and we turned around; you have to go slow and it takes a lot time. We thought other areas of Maui were prettier. Just my 2 cents and I am always surprised at how many say they are in awe of it. If you only have one or two days on Maui you may want to chose doing something else.

Please check with various rental car companies first as not all will allow you to take their vehicles to Hana.

Hana is a hard drive. Take a tour bus and sit back and enjoy the ride. Let stress to the driver.

We toured Hana with a cruise excursion and enjoyed it. Pass Hana and after Charles Lindberg's grave and a few more very nice cliffs and beaches a little ways past that there is nothing worth while seeing during the remainder of the drive in our opinions.

In our opinion once you reach Hana turn around and head back. Also please be aware that Hana in itself is not worthy of the trip!! It is the beautiful scenery in getting there that is worthy of the trip.

One thing about the road around West Maui - do it clockwise!! That is, start the tough part from Kapalua rather than Kahului. The reason is simple - you're on the inside of the road. That makes a world of difference.

I completely agree with Spleen that it is a far more challenging road than the Hana road, which is really rather tame - especially when driven earlier in the AM when there isn't much traffic (and this is also why I always prefer to return via the southern route if I go as far as O'heo Gulch... very little traffic).

BTW, if you think the West Maui road is a hard drive in a rental car, just think of the skill of the driver of the large school bus I passed who was dropping kids off on this road - she was driving it in a counterclockwise direction, in a vehicle scarcely narrower than the road itself. Sheesh.

Archived