Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

I'm thinking that it's likely this Quantum of the Seas block that will go just behind the bulbous bow. It was built in a Bremerhavener shipyard (Lloyd-Werft?) to be shipped to Meyer Werft.

We'll likely see it in a YouTube video soon. :)

Quantumblockatlocation_zps798c11dd.jpg

Photo courtesy B. Schneider

I see in the picture that two props are facing port and two starboard. This begs the question do they only use two at a time depending on which way they are moving the bow?

...Wonder if they could excersize the rights to that option in the future? :rolleyes: lol

No, there is an expiration date on them. One of the shipyard workers at STX Finland also mentioned that the 4th would require a bit of redesign work due to improvements in ship design and regulations. The work went into the Quantum class instead of the retooled 4th Freedom class.

I see in the picture that two props are facing port and two starboard. This begs the question do they only use two at a time depending on which way they are moving the bow?

I believe the direction of prop rotation can be reversed on all four thrusters, so they can use all four in one direction if necessary.

Yes, they had also a farewell party overnight on the Getaway in Bremerhaven.

http://www.nwzonline.de/bremerhaven/nase-kommt-aus-bremerhaven_a_11,5,1309170385.html

The nwzonline writes the undock of the Quantum will be on the August the third ( some days more or less ). The ship stay at Meyer Werft until goes to Bremerhaven or Eemshaven on 21. September ( some days more or less ). Great backgroung for the Meyer Werft festival on September the sixth :)

The nwzonline writes the undock of the Quantum will be on the August the third ( some days more or less ). The ship stay at Meyer Werft until goes to Bremerhaven or Eemshaven on 21. September ( some days more or less ). Great backgroung for the Meyer Werft festival on September the sixth :)

Hi, can you tell me please what happens when Quantum goes to Bremerhaven or Eemshaven on 21st Sept (approx) :confused: as her Maiden voyage from Southampton is not until 2nd November.

Hi, can you tell me please what happens when Quantum goes to Bremerhaven or Eemshaven on 21st Sept (approx) :confused: as her Maiden voyage from Southampton is not until 2nd November.

Like all the other ships that have recently left Meyer Werft, they are not fully fitted out. The weight of a fully completed ship will not allow it to make the conveyance from Papenburg to the ocean.

Once then sail it out of the building, it will spend some time getting additional fit out and then the conveyance will take it to the next location to be completed and sea trials.

Like all the other ships that have recently left Meyer Werft, they are not fully fitted out. The weight of a fully completed ship will not allow it to make the conveyance from Papenburg to the ocean.

Once then sail it out of the building, it will spend some time getting additional fit out and then the conveyance will take it to the next location to be completed and sea trials.

Thank you Howard for the explanation :D

I haven't followed a new build from Meyer Werft before (only Turku) so I didn't know how things worked at Meyer.

That makes sense. I recall seeing something about this in the Discovery Channel episode about the Breakaway build. It made a stop for more outfitting after travelling up the Ems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fkG6BTW7DI

If you're a Meyer Werft employee, not only do you get to work on these cruise ships every day, but also play on them before the passengers get to...

MWemployeeplaying_zps83a3c6ff.jpg

I wouldn't mind switching places for a day. :)

HA! I have seen some photos of the Norwegian ships and employees interacting with some of the plastic characters. There are two photos with Sandy Cheeks, where she is not being treated like a lady ... uh, squirrel that she is.

Anyhow, enough already. That is two Norwegian related posts, Lloyd! We want more Quantum class content! :D

http://www.nwzonline.de/bremerhaven/nase-kommt-aus-bremerhaven_a_11,5,1309170385.html

That's a much longer stay at the ship yard than usual. I'm guessing that's to accommodate the installation of North Star.

With the webcam being updated on Jan 6th it appears the blocks to the left have more construction than the right. Are both Quantum blocks?

If I understand you question correctly, the blocks on the left - on the deck - are most likely all Quantum of the Seas' blocks. The ones on the right - in the basin in front of the Qauntum of the Seas build - are Anthem of the Seas keel blocks.

Does that answer the question?

2014_01_06_H6_W466.jpg

If I understand you question correctly, the blocks on the left - on the deck - are most likely all Quantum of the Seas' blocks. The ones on the right - in the basin in front of the Qauntum of the Seas build - are Anthem of the Seas keel blocks.

Does that answer the question?

2014_01_06_H6_W466.jpg

Yes, thanks and sorry for the confusing question. I was still half asleep. :D:cool:

Well, nice to see a more focused image of the Quantum of the Seas behind the cranes from the December 27 - 29 "Tage der Region" event.

cimg1540_thumb.jpg?w=496&h=373

It's rather amazing that they are already up to the pool area. A lot of pieces coming together very quickly. Then she'll be complete and we'll all be complaining that no ones doing any work because everything is inside and not visible.

It's rather amazing that they are already up to the pool area. A lot of pieces coming together very quickly. Then she'll be complete and we'll all be complaining that no ones doing any work because everything is inside and not visible.

Yes, but we'll have the Anthem of the Seas' build to watch as well.

A few more sites are confirming/mentioning that the Quantum of the Seas will be floated out early on August 3, 2014, and that conveyance will be on September 21 2014.

It will be nice to see her on September 6 as a backdrop for the NDR Festival at Meyer Werft. Should look like this ..

wieder-ueber-20000-besucher-wie-2009-erwarten-die_full.jpg

A few more sites are confirming/mentioning that the Quantum of the Seas will be floated out early on August 3, 2014, and that conveyance will be on September 21 2014.

It will be nice to see her on September 6 as a backdrop for the NDR Festival at Meyer Werft. Should look like this ..

Wow! I wonder if they'll change the transatlantic and inaugural dates. :confused::eek:

Wow! I wonder if they'll change the transatlantic and inaugural dates. :confused::eek:

Once they complete the conveyance, they will still need time for additional fit-out and I think, if I remember correctly, they usually allow two weeks for sea trials. Seeing that the conveyance is 6 weeks from the scheduled TA date, that woulds still seem about right, at least in my opinion.

Looks like a great fun event to attend. One of these days maybe :)