Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

When I first saw the MSC build it reminded me of the Carnival Pinnacle concept that Fincantieri designed as a proof of concept for where things should be going. So I wasn't surprised to see that in the press release for this ship Fincantieri was very proud to say that the ship yard was completely responsible for designing the ship rather than MSC designing it and going to them to have it built. So this really is the real life version of the Carnival Pinnacle. It certainly looks cool and I think it will finally make MSC be considered one of the big guys in the industry.

What's interesting is that these 2 completely original 154,000 GRT builds are right in between the 2 160,000+ GRT enlarged MSC Devina builds they just ordered 2 months ago from STX France. Kind of and odd choice to build 4 ships so close in size but with such drastically different designs in different yards. It would be like if Royal Caribbean had built the Quantum class at the same time as the Freedom class.

I also like the new MSC design. It certainly is different and creative. The way they fit the basketball court in the funnel area is very cool use of space. The waterfront concept another nice future as well as the aft area and cabins with great views.

Who knows, it could be good for the industry. Most new builds recently look very much alike except for the RCI and AIDA ships for the most part.

Edit - It is also a great way to get their cruise fans excited about whats to come, unlike the secrecy behind the Quantum Class ships.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

Anyone else notice that it looks like the artwork is hung already.

Recall that all the Cabins are already pre-assembled with all furnishings practically installed/inserted before they bring them to the shipyard to be put in place.

Anyone else notice that it looks like the artwork is hung already.

Recall that all the Cabins are already pre-assembled with all furnishings practically installed/inserted before they bring them to the shipyard to be put in place.

Is that artwork or flat screen tv wrapped in plastic and set in the wall?

Is that artwork or flat screen tv wrapped in plastic and set in the wall?

I thought it was a TV.

The cabin looks quite small...maybe one of the Studio Insides ?:confused:

Edited to add...duh me it can't be a SI as it has a balcony door.

Edited by Elizanessie

I thought it was a TV.

The cabin looks quite small...maybe one of the Studio Insides ?:confused:

If it's a studio cabin, it's a Super Studio Ocean View balcony (119 sq. ft., balcony 55 sq. ft.). There are balcony doors behind Meyer Werft employee.

Interior studio (101 sq. ft.). Wonder if a 6'3" guy like me would fit in either one!

Rendered image of Studio balcony from website:

shp_qn_superstudio_bal_305.jpg

If it's a studio cabin, it's a Super Studio Ocean View balcony (119 sq. ft., balcony 55 sq. ft.). There are balcony doors behind Meyer Werft employee.

Interior studio (101 sq. ft.). Wonder if a 6'3" guy like me would fit in either one!

I realised after I posted that there was a balcony door in the background ..duh me...but it does look small compared to the SB image on the RCCL website..that is what confused me :o

The bed looks more like a single bed than a king bed :confused:

It does look like a flat screen TV. I agree with Liz that the cabin does seem much smaller than the rendering you posted. Its somewhat evident when you look at the distance between the sliding doors and the wall to the side of the rendering compared to the actual picture.

It does look like a flat screen TV. I agree with Liz that the cabin does seem much smaller than the rendering you posted. Its somewhat evident when you look at the distance between the sliding doors and the wall to the side of the rendering compared to the actual picture.

Yes I was noticing that too. BIG difference. I'll let you know in January if I actually can turn around in my SB cabin. I booked the same one ( one floor up) on Anthem. Maybe I should start dieting now. :eek::D

Denise

Yes I was noticing that too. BIG difference. I'll let you know in January if I actually can turn around in my SB cabin. I booked the same one ( one floor up) on Anthem. Maybe I should start dieting now. :eek::D

Denise

LOL! I am sure your cabin will be fine and you will have a great time.

Yes I was noticing that too. BIG difference.

I saw in some early renderings that most Staterooms have zigzag walls. I think that the staterooms are built again in bundles of two like those on the Oasis.

I don't get the idea of two bathrooms in (Spa/Family) Junior Suits. It sounds like wasting of space. A walk in closet is much more useful. I hope they publish the schematics soon. The final design has to be done by now.

Speaking of renderings, if anyone wants to see the layout of the Interior Studio Stateroom, it is part of the Family Connected Junior Suite with Balcony in this rendering. It would be an example of cabin 13230:

FamilyConnectedJuniorSuitewithBalconywithdeckplanampoutline_zps61123226.jpg

Guess the virtual screen is across from the bed. Or in the little hallway? ;)

Edited by Lloyd555

Speaking of renderings, if anyone wants to see the layout of the Interior Studio Stateroom, it is part of the Family Connected Junior Suite with Balcony in this rendering. It would be an example of cabin 13230:

FamilyConnectedJuniorSuitewithBalconywithdeckplanampoutline_zps61123226.jpg

Guess the virtual screen is across from the bed. Or in the little hallway? ;)

So Lloyd, I guess that you will share an outer door with your neighbor...

Yup. I noticed the update in your signature. :D

Take LOTS of photos!!!

There was some comments on different parts of the ship being a Solsticizing of Royal ships which was a thought way back when Project Sunshine was announced. Some of the comments came from me when there was talk about the design of the Promenade. Now that I see the rendering of a cabin, they seem to have done it here as well. The storage space over the bed is the same as it was on the Solstice class ships for "X". There was much discussion when we were on the Silhouette about this. For me it is not an issue, but for others, like my wife, unless you climb on the bed, that storage space is not convenient.

Edited by hac82

While we're discussing the super studios with balcony, has anyone seen an actual rendering of the E balcony rooms, which just look like a fatter version of the super studio? I looked but only found renderings of the D balconies for some reason, maybe I was looking in the wrong place?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

There was some comments on different parts of the ship being a Solsticizing of Royal ships which was a thought way back when Project Sunshine was announced. Some of the comments came from me when there was talk about the design of the Promenade. Now that I see the rendering of a cabin, they seem to have done it here as well. The storage space over the bed is the same as it was on the Solstice class ships for "X". There was much discussion when we were on the Silhouette about this. For me it is not an issue, but for others, like my wife, unless you climb on the bed, that storage space is not convenient.

I noticed that as well and I agree. We were not wild at all about the cabin storage on Silhouette last year.

I noticed that as well and I agree. We were not wild at all about the cabin storage on Silhouette last year.

After we got off the Silhouette, I managed to have a discussion with someone in the "X" president's office and this topic came up. I mentioned that it wold not be a bad idea to include one of these

14262983_120921223000.jpg

in each cabin. I have to assume that they have not done this yet. Maybe some of us may have to bring our own. :rolleyes::D