dramamine, bonine, patch, or ginger

cruise fairy

Be aware that ginger does have side effects. It can increase the effectiveness any anticoagulant (blood thinner) that you may be taking. It can also affect your urinary system and cause heart rhythm irregularities. We recommend that surgical patients stop ginger at least two weeks before surgery to avoid potential interactions and complications. If you have any medical history at all, or are taking other medications, it is best to check with your physician before taking ginger.

Thanks so much for posting that, Desert Nurse. I am a patch user, but did take along some ginger altoids last cruise, after reading about them on this board. I'm so glad I disliked the flavor so much, and had only one, as I am on coumadin, and had no idea that the interaction could be a problem. Again, that was very valuable information, thanks again..............

DD, heading to throw ginger stuff away..................

I was on the Golden recently, and also did not get sick. The whole 10 days there were very calm seas. I also heard there is a special set of fins on the sides of this ship to help prevent it from some of the rocking back and forth.

I got sick on the Dawn last fall when doing a coastal cruise from Vancouver. It was very rough and I took Dramamine in the morning when I woke up and realized it, but it was too late. I then borrowed a patch from a friend and within and hour or so, I felt pretty good-thank God. However, the patch does make you very dry throated and thirsty, and also blurs your vision. I believe the ear is the only location for it. I took Bonine on the last cruise as a precaution, and it seemed stronger than Dramamine. I felt kind of weird after taking it, so I cut the dose in half and I was fine. I think the Dramamine is better for me. I also brought wrist bands along(Iwasn't taking any chances this time!) but it was so calm that I really couldn't say if they work or not. A friend of mine said they worked for her. I hope this helps. Happy cruising.

Thanks so much for posting that, Desert Nurse. I am a patch user, but did take along some ginger altoids last cruise, after reading about them on this board. I'm so glad I disliked the flavor so much, and had only one, as I am on coumadin, and had no idea that the interaction could be a problem. Again, that was very valuable information, thanks again..............

DD, heading to throw ginger stuff away..................

Desert Dreamer, don't worry too much about the ginger altoids or things like ginger snap cookies. They don't have enough ginger in them to cause harm. The potential dangerous side effects come with the concentration of any substance as in ginger supplements.

I have suffered from motion sickness since a small child so I have tried every type of remedy there is. My reaction to the various types is as follows:

Ginger--does nothing

Wrist Bands (including battery type)--does nothing

Bonine--works most of the time with no side effects

The Patch--Works all the time--never gotten sick with one on. The only side effect for me is very dry mouth. You need to be very careful to wash your hands well after applying and don't touch it with your hands while on. When you touch your eyes with any residue on your hands, you will get blurred vision. I learned this the hard way. I always take the patch off while on shore. In fact in calm seas I leave the patch off unless I begin to feel bad. Then I put on a patch and then lay down for a couple of hours. By the time I get up the patch is working.

If you have a real problem with motion sickness, try all the others, but have the patch handy if none of the others work for you.

On our first cruise, my doctor recommended Bonamine (canadian name)

and I took it along just in case. First day I woke up and was feeling ill within an hour or so. Took the pill and was fine within 30-40 min. Only needed to take it one more time on that trip. This past cruise I decided to try the patch and put one on the first day. I was not aware of the side effects until my DH bought me a beautiful watch in St. Thomas and I couldnt see the numbers. I figured it was my age (40ish) and forgot about it. Then it bothered me the next day. Decided to read tthe fine print on the patch and it stated pupil dilation/blurred vision. It last nearly two weeks after removing the patch. Next cruise I think I will bring the Bonamine again and take as needed. Alcohol can greatly increase the effects of the medication also, which can be an issue for alot of people.

Thanks, Desrt Nurse...............wont turn down a gingersnap anytime soon! :)

Isn't it great that we have so many choices? Almost everyone can find something that works for them. Remember too, that many people have different reactions to the same meds, so discuss with your physician......... I have never had a problem with the patches, but sure read about problems with them on this board. On the other hand, I tried the wrist bands once, and they didn't do a thing for me..........yet they seem to help many people.

With the Hawaiian trip coming up later this year, I guess I should check out the ginger just in case. My question: how about my eight-year-old? What would be safe for her? She hasn't suffered so far on any of her cruises but I want to be prepared.

If you are thinking of using ginger exclusively be sure to try it for a few days before you cruise. I get horrible heartburn with ginger capsules. It's almost as bad burping up ginger all day as being seasick!

I get motion sick very easily. In the past, I took one bonine at night and wore the Relief Band all of the time. That worked pretty well but I was slightly queasy the first couple of days. On the last cruise I wore a patch and also took my trusted Relief Band. I was fine until the last night. It was rough seas and I was trying to get packed and got pretty sick. I didn't have a problem with the patch but I don't think I'll use them again. It didn't seem to significantly help over the Bonine.

The absolutely best thing you can do is buy a Relief Band. It is really the only thing that will make you feel better after you have already gotten seasick. It works differently from the drugs. Fighter pilots (that roll around, urgh!!!!) and chemo patients use it. My daughter gets sick from anesthesa (sp?) and used my band after surgery. If you are the type of person who gets motion sick in cars, on rides, etc. do yourself a favor and get a Relief Band.

I also looked on eBay for Bonine and normally someone has it for sale - someone has 5 packages of 8 chewable tablets for between $5.99 and $7.99 listed now. I'm not sure how that compares to store prices and as previous posters have indicated you can get the generic ingredient at Costco and other places in bulk at good prices.

I also looked on eBay for Bonine and normally someone has it for sale - someone has 5 packages of 8 chewable tablets for between $5.99 and $7.99 listed now. I'm not sure how that compares to store prices and as previous posters have indicated you can get the generic ingredient at Costco and other places in bulk at good prices.

You can buy the Generic most anywhere.. Cheapest is Costco $4.99 for 100. It has a shelf life of 4 years..

Bonine is behind the counter at Target,etc. It use to be out in the aisles but ...now you have to ask for it. We use the Costco generic brand and it works fine for our kids. I also carry a few lollipops in our bag ~ just in case as they seem to quiet a "restless" stomach.

My fiance, who gets terribly motion sick, takes the generic for Bonine every night while crusing and has no problems. Works like a charm for him.

Does the Bonine make you sleepy? Or is that why you take it at night? Does anyone feel groggy during the day while taking Bonine? Thanks!:p

Is there any difference between using the generic Costco Meclizine and the name brand Bonine?

Is one self disolving in the mouth and the other just like a regular tablet?

• 6 years later...

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but this was all I could come up with via google since the search function is down. Can Meclizine/Bonnie be used if you plan on drinking alcohol? I've usually never get seasick, but did on a catamaran recently and I want to have a back up just in case.

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but this was all I could come up with via google since the search function is down. Can Meclizine/Bonnie be used if you plan on drinking alcohol? I've usually never get seasick, but did on a catamaran recently and I want to have a back up just in case.

My wife uses Meclizine & it can make her a little bit sleepy which adds to the effects of alcohol. It doesn't prevent her from drinking wine at the dosage she takes. She is prone to motion sickness & it's helped her enjoy dozens of cruises including heavy seas & near hurricane force winds in the Tasman Sea between Sydney & NZ. :(

Just take the ginger when on board. No need to take it ahead of time. You need to get the ginger root pills/tablets from any drugstore, health food store, or grocery store. You can take them several times a day if you are worried about motion sickness, or just have them on had in case you might need them. No side effects, no drowsyness, either. The ship doctors recommend the ginger.

We also take candied ginger with us just to have for a treat, but it can be used if you need help as well as gingerale.

We use Meclizine, one in the morning and one around 6 in the evening. No problems with Alcohol. Remember to start using it before you get on the ship. You need it to be in your system. Wife usually starts taking it the day before we leave for the ship.

We use Meclizine, one in the morning and one around 6 in the evening. No problems with Alcohol. Remember to start using it before you get on the ship. You need it to be in your system. Wife usually starts taking it the day before we leave for the ship.

Totally agree with this dosage and schedule. If you begin taking Meclizine (Bonine) the day before you cruise, you will be fine. Personally, I have found that I need to take it twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening to enjoy the full effect of not getting sea sick. To date, have not had any drowsiness or related problems using this dosage.

Have actually been in a couple of hurricanes (cheaper to cruise that time of year!) and have found that if we start the ginger capsules 3 days ahead of getting on the ship, and taking a bonine or meclizine at night, it takes care of any nausea. Saw many people on our cruise out of NOLA during Isadore and Kyle that were using the potted plants in the hallway for more than effect if you know what I mean. The only time we felt kind of funny was during the evening show during the worst weather of the trip. We headed back up on deck and out of the closed showroom and then we felt fine. We take one ginger capsule in the AM and one in the PM, and haven't had any problems with heartburn.

If you use the candied ginger, you can get it in the spice section at the grocery store.....correct ? How much do you take at a time and how often. Thanks to you all for a really good, informative thread and for bumping it up. gg:D

I had success with gingersnap cookies on our cruise this year. Our sea day was pretty choppy, and we'd just come back from a presentation in the show lounge. Didn't want to miss dinner, but stomach was feeling a little unhappy. We went to the room & snacked on some ginger snaps, and the queasiness went away.

We did have sea bands & dramamine as well, but I didn't want to risk drowsiness as we had 2nd seating & a late show.

Archived