Just back from Nassau and visited Junkanoo Beach

imluvncruzn

Just back from our cruise and visited Junkanoo Beach in Nassau on Friday, May 31, 2013. This was my 8th visit to Nassau but my first to Junkanoo. We walked there from the cruise terminal. The entrance to the beach is quite a bit further than expected. It is not right next to the British Colonial Hilton as I had read on these boards in the past. The beach had a lot of glass on it and there was a huge pile of garbage next to the fence. It appears that they allow bonfires because the pile was half burnt. The man operating the concession stand was raking the sand right in front of the stand but the majority of the glass we found was down closer to the water. I'm glad I went to see it for myself but don't think I'll be returning.

922917_10201339088382472_2074421668_n.jpg

941502_10201339090982537_1350822355_n.jpg

426752_10201343234166114_2101186966_n.jpg

992962_10201343230486022_933605230_n.jpg

Unfortunately, the beach was a mess after a week of storms (and you can see in the pics the storms were still in the air).

The glass comes from partying and debris left on the beach that get's shattered by the tides. It's rakes and picked up daily.

Harder to do when the weather is bad and the surf is rough.

There's plenty of better pictures around. Quite frankly. It's not really a bad beach.. especially since it's free and just a few minutes from the dock.

If you want pristine, then pay for a day pass at one of the hotels.

My DH and I were just there at Junkanoo Beach 2 weeks ago. The beach looked pretty nice then. I saw no glass or trash. There were lots of people there with their towels spread out on the sand and in the water swimming. We were walking along the esplanade which is a walkway going along the water. The further we went it was still looking very pretty. There were 4 ladies further up in the water and I was wishing that I was prepared to go in the water myself. The water there is that same beautiful Caribbean blue and is so inviting.

Also it is not a far walk from the ship. It may not be right beside of the Hilton but it is not much further.

We have been to Nassau 3 times and everytime we have walked to Junkanoo Beach and on down to the Fish Fry. Junkanoo Beach always looks the same.... a nice free beach and has restrooms and food and drink to buy.

I like Junkanoo personally. Free, beautiful water, restrooms and some local interaction. Plus you don't have to commit to a long venture . . . just a little walk, spend a little time, then do something else.

The last time we were at Junkanoo was this past November ... and *unfortunately* ... others in our group ended up naming it *Hepatitis Beach* ... ouch :eek:

There are definitely plenty of great *local* food & drink merchants along this stretch ... as well as restrooms.

However ... it's hit or miss ... as to whether or not ... it's clean up *enough* on any particular day.

But the good news is ... it's absolutely FREE ... within walking distance of ship ... AND you can still get your 4 BEERS & 4 SHOTS for only $10 ;)

Oh ... and I forgot to mention that the best FISH FRY ... is only a few minutes walk down the Esplanade too!

Maybe we just caught it on one of those "bad days". It wasn't terrible but I was surprised by the pile of garbage and the glass down by the water. It was a rainy day when we were there so didn't stay to try anything from the concession area.

• 2 months later...
Just back from our cruise and visited Junkanoo Beach in Nassau on Friday, May 31, 2013. This was my 8th visit to Nassau but my first to Junkanoo. We walked there from the cruise terminal. The entrance to the beach is quite a bit further than expected. It is not right next to the British Colonial Hilton as I had read on these boards in the past. The beach had a lot of glass on it and there was a huge pile of garbage next to the fence. It appears that they allow bonfires because the pile was half burnt. The man operating the concession stand was raking the sand right in front of the stand but the majority of the glass we found was down closer to the water. I'm glad I went to see it for myself but don't think I'll be returning.

922917_10201339088382472_2074421668_n.jpg

941502_10201339090982537_1350822355_n.jpg

426752_10201343234166114_2101186966_n.jpg

992962_10201343230486022_933605230_n.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Sad about the glass :(

Government should urge locals to keep the beaches clean....That's what we do in the US ;)

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Sad about the glass :(

Government should urge locals to keep the beaches clean....That's what we do in the US ;)

Gov't should urge cruisers to pick up after themselves. They are pigs and leave behind tons of garbage every day.

This beach is nowhere as bad as this. Spring break brings out the worst.. but generally it's a nice spot of FREE beach.

Gov't should urge cruisers to pick up after themselves. They are pigs and leave behind tons of garbage every day.

This beach is nowhere as bad as this. Spring break brings out the worst.. but generally it's a nice spot of FREE beach.

Let me interject by saying not *All* cruise passengers are slobs....

There are some *People* (not saying who they are or where they're from) ;):rolleyes: don't give a hoot about leaving trash behind. :(

We were there last October and it was really nice. Got a "spiked" drink served inside a coconut which was yummy. For a small tip, we got a refill and then after drinking that, the guy cut open the coconut so we could eat the meat. We stayed at the beach a little over an hour and enjoyed it.

I have been to the Bahamas many times and have yet to go to Junkanoo. I have done almost everything offered in the area so I am seriously considering it in October. DH does not like to "waste" money so I think free would sound good to him. He is NOT a planner and I am so I pretty much am in charge of all the plans. I do think he would enjoy the beach for a while but he also is a very active person and has a problem being still (ADHD). I do not see him begin able to stay in one place long so free is good in this case. While I say he is active he also had a major knee trauma in Dec 2012 and has some issues with long walks. About how long is the walk? I have read before but have forgotten. Isn't it like a bit over a mile from the terminal?

I have been to the Bahamas many times and have yet to go to Junkanoo. I have done almost everything offered in the area so I am seriously considering it in October. DH does not like to "waste" money so I think free would sound good to him. He is NOT a planner and I am so I pretty much am in charge of all the plans. I do think he would enjoy the beach for a while but he also is a very active person and has a problem being still (ADHD). I do not see him begin able to stay in one place long so free is good in this case. While I say he is active he also had a major knee trauma in Dec 2012 and has some issues with long walks. About how long is the walk? I have read before but have forgotten. Isn't it like a bit over a mile from the terminal?

I would say it's only a 10-15 minute at the most. Just need to *hug* the sidewalk along the British Colonial ... and it's on the other side ... just past the parking lot :)

And you definitely can't beat the *FREE* part ;)

Also ... if you're looking for more *FREE* stuff ... there's a FREE tour and tasting at John Watling's Rum Distillery ... a short walk from Junkanoo :p

Sorry you hit it on a bad day. We loved it there and are going back again this weekend. I did a big review on it. Going to take some pictures this weekend and I will post them. Day we were there the water was gorgeous, no glass at all and the beach was beautiful.,

Unfortunately, the beach was a mess after a week of storms (and you can see in the pics the storms were still in the air).

The glass comes from partying and debris left on the beach that get's shattered by the tides. It's rakes and picked up daily.

Harder to do when the weather is bad and the surf is rough.

There's plenty of better pictures around. Quite frankly. It's not really a bad beach.. especially since it's free and just a few minutes from the dock.

If you want pristine, then pay for a day pass at one of the hotels.

Been there several times with my family. I agree with Scubagirl..nice, FREE,safe,close beach.

I would say it's only a 10-15 minute at the most. Just need to *hug* the sidewalk along the British Colonial ... and it's on the other side ... just past the parking lot :)

And you definitely can't beat the *FREE* part ;)

Also ... if you're looking for more *FREE* stuff ... there's a FREE tour and tasting at John Watling's Rum Distillery ... a short walk from Junkanoo :p

That might be very nice. Thanks. In all the years and times I have gone to Nassau area I did not know about this tour.

John Watling's Distillery is located at the legendary Buena Vista Estate in at 17 Delancy Street.

Construction at 17 Delancy started early last year ...

That might be very nice. Thanks. In all the years and times I have gone to Nassau area I did not know about this tour.

... but it didn't open until about 4 months ago this past April :p

• 2 weeks later...

Archived