Just back from Nassau and visited Junkanoo Beach

imluvncruzn

We went there this past Sunday. I've been to Nassau 3x before and never went there but I was surprised how nice it was. It was a short walk from the ship and there were multiple "shacks" selling chairs/drinks/food. I didn't see any broken glass, there was a workere there with a wheelbarrow cleaning up any debris, mostly sea debris.

We spent 2-3 hrs there then walked to fish fry. there were a couple sections of beach closer to the fish fry that had litter on them but i walked the beach pretty much the whole way. I'm not sure why they cleaned Junkanoo only in the first couple sections.

Fish fry was another 5-10 min walk. First time there too, we ate at Oh Andros, no complaints. good food, inexpensive and quick service. We then ate/drank our way back to the ship trying all the local food. Had some raw fresh pressed sugar cane drink for $3, another coconut milk drink, a pineapple-coconut dessert served in a roll and some other stuff.

It was a good day overall. Any questions let me know.

Will you explain the "fish fry?" Many others have mentioned this, but I am not clear about what it is. Sounds like a group of restaurants that sell fish? Local fish?

Thanks.

that's exactly what it is.

It's a "Village" or local restaurants in very rustic surrounding selling fresh fish, and other bahamaian specialties.

It has a common area with restrooms and even a stage for occasional entertainment.

Weekend nites there's usually local music coming from a handful of these venues.

Most are open for lunch.

Some are closed Sunday nite and/or Monday.

You can do a google search for the "fish fry" or Heritage Village.

DH and I were at Junkanoo Beach last Tuesday, September 10. I read about it here on cruisecritic and free sounded good to us. It was a short walk from the ship. Most people just laid down their cruise towels, though you could rent chairs and umbrellas. The beach was clean and litter free as far as I could tell. DH and I spent most of our time in the crystal clear water. The restrooms were clean too. The last time I was in Nassau we went to the Sheraton and paid $30 pp. It was last October and the pool water was unbelievably cold. We will be returning to Junkanoo Beach. It was great!

DH and I were at Junkanoo Beach last Tuesday, September 10. I read about it here on cruisecritic and free sounded good to us. It was a short walk from the ship. Most people just laid down their cruise towels, though you could rent chairs and umbrellas. The beach was clean and litter free as far as I could tell. DH and I spent most of our time in the crystal clear water. The restrooms were clean too. The last time I was in Nassau we went to the Sheraton and paid $30 pp. It was last October and the pool water was unbelievably cold. We will be returning to Junkanoo Beach. It was great!

Totally agree, no reason to pay $30 pp at Sheraton when you have a great FREE beach at Junkanoo. We love it there and will go there anytime we are in Nassau from now on. Love the jerk chicken at the little food shack also!

Agree with most of the others than Junkanoo is a great place to spend a few hours . We have been there three times but this past April, we decided to check out Cabbage Beach for a change. We got a taxi there but only stayed for about half an hour since the waves and water was just too rough to enjoy. We ended up getting a taxi over to Junkanoo and enjoyed the rest of our day there. We're heading to Nassau again in January and will probably go back to Junkanoo! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Going back a few years, but…

6 years ago walked to this beach (didn’t even know the name) after a lack luster tour of the island with an optional pirate “thing” (which we didn’t do). The beach was nice enough and I found it to be clean. The one big thing not previously mentioned is, it is basically in the port! It is not open water and frankly I didn’t find the water very appealing for getting in. You don’t swim in a harbor or port.

However, the walk and relaxing was a nice way to spend an afternoon.

The one big thing not previously mentioned is, it is basically in the port! It is not open water and frankly I didn’t find the water very appealing for getting in. You don’t swim in a harbor or port.

It is the same water the people are paying $$ to swim in at BCH.;)

It's at the mouth of the harbour.. water quality is fine. The view is of Paradise Island and the Lighthouse.

Agree. We have been in that water many times. Very clean, just a little rocky in spots.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned today from a lovely cruise.

We decided to take a cab to Junkanoo Beach instead of walking since we had a 3 yr old with us.

Cab was $4 p/p.... Quick ride.

On the way there, the Bahamian cab driver gave my DGD several bahamian pennies and a big hug....

Wasn't impressed with the first hut's chair rentals and decided to walk down a bit.... We stopped at Gloria's and worked a deal...

IMG_4137.jpg.883c520b837bcba0722fa9ea607490a8.jpg

two loungers and umbrella for $25 instead of $40....

IMG_4139.jpg.5f1825be3050a4178f328ef5700f7f03.jpg

We did see a few pieces of glass in the water....(which we removed).

If you have a hard time walking on little pieces of coral, I would suggest wearing water shoes.

IMG_4141.jpg.680296d5440201f590f381a23cd692b4.jpg

Water was delightful.... Beach was pleasant.

Not many beach vendors. The ones that did try to sell beaded jewelry or wanted to braid my hair were very kind and not pushy when I said "no thank you!"

IMG_4132.jpg.be0cc99adc9117ef8cf9a6566a9ed594.jpg

Beach wasn't packed with people.

IMG_4115.jpg.43d117306fb093e5357a50def805ba2e.jpg

Getting a cab back was a little difficult....It took a whole 5 minutes... LOL when out of the blue a taxi driver stopped, in the middle of traffic and asked me if I needed a ride....We jumped in and he turned his cab around, and back to the ship we went....

We went on September 28, 2013 and we were unimpressed. It reminded me of a Jersey shore type beach. In fact when we got there my dh offered to pay money to go to a different beach (and he is cheap...hence why we went here in the first place). We got there around 11am on a Saturday and headed for the shade, there was a place with chairs locked up and no one to get the chairs. I finally tracked down someone who told me they only had a bench left and we took it (it was okay). However the place with the locked up chairs was closed (on a Saturday with cruise ships in port?!).

The beach was VERY rocky and It hurt to get in and out of the water, but you could go far out and there were no waves, which was good for dd. There was a lot of glass (broken bottles, not sea glass) and for that reason I wanted dd to stay in the water.

That being said the beach is free but next time we will be going elsewhere and we would not recommend this beach to anyone.

I enjoyed visiting this beach very much. It wasn't that far of a walk from the dock, and it was cheap. Three beers/3 shots for $10. They had a couple bars with some live music, lots of room in the beach to lie out or swim. Didn't need to pay a cab to get there or to get on the beach.

I will be going back here in Jan when I visit again. I am not sure if perhaps this beach has changed alot since Jan/2013 with all the previous comments??...

Archived