Lunch during Whittier to Anchorage drive

snofy

We'll be renting a car at Whittier after disembarkation and plan to slowly drive to Anchorage while taking in all the sights along the way. Any recommendation for a place for a quick lunch?

My favorite is the pond cafe at Alyeska ski resort. You have to drive past the Bake shop and head towards the ski resort. Turn left at the junction and go to the back of the resort. That will be the new hotel entrance. Just head in and go up to the second floor for the Pond Cafe.

Very nice. It will also let you check out the Alyeska resort.

Is there anything to do in Whittier? We will be there for a whole day, but I didn't really want to spend 3 hours on the road round trip to Anchorage. Is there anything within a 30 minute drive that is worth seeing? We will be seeing so many glaciers on our cruise, that I don't really want to do a boat excursion to see more glaciers.

Is there anything to do in Whittier? We will be there for a whole day, but I didn't really want to spend 3 hours on the road round trip to Anchorage. Is there anything within a 30 minute drive that is worth seeing? We will be seeing so many glaciers on our cruise, that I don't really want to do a boat excursion to see more glaciers.

the short answer is no. The only thing in Whittier is access to tour boats and cruise ships. There is a restaurant there but that is about it.

If you have a car you can drive through the tunnel and you will end up by the Portage glacier visitor's center. You can go in there and learn about glaciers if you want. Other than that, you can drive out of Portage Valley, turn right and go to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (about a 3 minute drive after the turn). They have animals for viewing in a large open park setting.

Other than that, there is not much within 30 minutes of Whittier.

Within an the extreme end of 30 minutes (from Whittier), is Girdwood, which is where the Alyeska Ski resort and other attractions are located. But that might be more of a drive than you are willing to make. Once in Girdwood you will have to go through town to get to Alyeska but that should not be bad.

Is there anything to do in Whittier?

Google the Whittier Alaska Chamber of Commerce to get a listing of activities ... boating, kayaking, fishing. It's a very small place.

We will be there for a whole day, but I didn't really want to spend 3 hours on the road round trip to Anchorage. It's not like driving an interstate thru the suburbs... it would be 3 hrs of enjoyable scenery along the Turnagain Arm with many places to stop and visit.

Is there anything within a 30 minute drive that is worth seeing?

maybe pick up an Alaska travel book from your library to learn more about your destinations??

From Whittier you could easily drive to Seward in under 2 hrs and spend the day at the harbor, SeaLife Center, walk to Exit Glacier.

For closer options, check out 3 drives in this link, 'Portage Valley and Whittier Tunnel' , ' Potters Marsh', ' Turnagain Arm'. http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/scenic-drives

Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely check out the Bake Shop and Pond Cafe :)

Last time I was at Alyeska, the Pond was breakfast/brunch, closed by 11am.

It is worth it to go up the hill to check out the lodge, but when i've stayed there, we always went down the hill to eat at Chair Five in greater downtown Girdwood.

The only reason I cruise to Whittier is to rent a car and drive to Anchorage. I was there May 27. Not a cloud in the sky. Mother Nature at her best. Went to a park I visited last year and saw a moose. Car rental plus gas $150. Do what you want at your own pace.

There was nothing to do at Alyeska when we were there two weeks ago. The tram - normally open even that time of year - was being worked on and not expected to be opened until after Memorial Day. The restaurants were nonexistent and the one that was open (Pond was no) was very, very limited seating and a limited menu.

Do NOT rely on travel channels or websites, call directly to see what will be open, when, etc. Not even the Alyeska website was up to date. And when you bring it up all you will get is a smile and a shrug.

There is a place along the arm that is a BBQ place ... Turnagain Arm Pit. Yeah, the pun is intentional. LOL. We didn't eat there but some friends did and said it was really good.

It is worth it to go up the hill to check out the lodge, but when i've stayed there, we always went down the hill to eat at Chair Five in greater downtown Girdwood.

We hired a driver (who has lived in AK for the last 17 years) to show us the sites from Whittier to Anchorage and he recommended this as a good stop as well. Our family of 7 (Ages 9-64 and 2 vegetarians) all enjoyed our lunches at Chair Five. Pizza, Burgers, Salads, etc. all was delish!! :D

There was nothing to do at Alyeska when we were there two weeks ago. The tram - normally open even that time of year - was being worked on and not expected to be opened until after Memorial Day. The restaurants were nonexistent and the one that was open (Pond was no) was very, very limited seating and a limited menu.

That's because it was too late for skiing and too early for tourists.....I think things might be different now.....

Chair Five in Girdwood is good for lunch/dinner. For dinner Double Musky in Girdwood or Seven Glacier at the top of the mountain in Girdwood are great but both are expensive. If you want something cheaper, there is a Subway at the gas station on the highway at Girdwood. If you do not want to go into Girdwood then the Turnagain Arm Pit is decent.

• 1 month later...
We hired a driver (who has lived in AK for the last 17 years) to show us the sites from Whittier to Anchorage and he recommended this as a good stop as well. Our family of 7 (Ages 9-64 and 2 vegetarians) all enjoyed our lunches at Chair Five. Pizza, Burgers, Salads, etc. all was delish!! :D

Hi WaggesAZ, My family has 5 and will cruise NCL Sun Whittier on 8/5. Would you recommend the driver you hired? If yes, will you share the driver information with me? Thanks in advance.

Archived