Another shining example of Carnival's IT department

Alas, they took that portion of the site down. They must have a difficult time keeping up with all the changes going on. :( I'll keep trying until I can sign on. Thanks for posting.

Really? I would probably be fired if I left this stuff out on a live website!

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LOL - kind of makes you wonder if they even know what a test server is. I get upset if I leave a spare > - even one that doesn't break anything! I don't want to see that! :D

aggieastrosfan

i don't understand. does "left this stuff out" mean...

it was available and shouldn't be?

it wasn't available and should be?

i wouldn't want to be your coworker sharing a project.

aggieastrosfan

i don't understand. does "left this stuff out" mean...

it was available and shouldn't be?

it wasn't available and should be?

i wouldn't want to be your coworker sharing a project.

in it, there's a test environment, and a production environment. all work is out up to the test envirnment, where it is tested and tested to look for bugs and make sure it works as intended. Tthis also included all display screens and functionality. only after its proven to be working properly is it rolled out to production.

They may not even have a full test server, depending on what kind of tangled configuration of code is at the core of their website. Or, the functions that they're testing need to be confirmed on the live site.

But in that case, they simply need to assign access rules so that only logged in administrators can see that stuff, not the general public.

On the positive side, it may mean they're fixing some of the issues that have been pointed out here so many times...

This seems to have replaced, and IMO is a far improvement over, what was there previously...

"null

null null"

in plain text- not formatted to even look the same as the rest. THAT drove me nuts. This is a vast improvement, at least there is formatting and an explanation to NOT book with it (and "null" still had the button to "view details" etc)

~Katy

ybuva7ez.jpg

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Of course the simple answer could be that someone simply did, what appartly the OP or the perfect people on here has done, made a MISTAKE. You know thats where your boss sits you down yells for a few mins. and you lower your head and say "I'm sorry will do best to see it never happends again."

Of course the simple answer could be that someone simply did, what appartly the OP or the perfect people on here has done, made a MISTAKE. You know thats where your boss sits you down yells for a few mins. and you lower your head and say "I'm sorry will do best to see it never happends again."

Do you work in IT? My DH is a programmer analyst and this type of "mistake" is one that could get him or his colleagues in a lot of trouble. Test environments exist for a reason. Testing is never done on a live server. It's part of the job to know the difference and pay attention to where you're putting your code. It is, as the OP and others in IT have said, unprofessional.

Do you work in IT? My DH is a programmer analyst and this type of "mistake" is one that could get him or his colleagues in a lot of trouble.

I work in IT.

Unprofessional, yes. Trouble for the goofball who left this in, heck yea. This particular offense worth of being fired as Meredith said? Nah.

If this small of a mistake could cause Meredith to get fired, I would hate to work at her company. Change that, I would choose NOT to work at her company.

In most IT departments the punishment fits the crime because most management still have a department to run which is made up of fallible humans. Had the mistake cost Carnival thousands and thousands or even millions of dollars (either directly or indirectly through lost public perception as it the case here) then perhaps the guilty party(ies) might be up for firing. However firing is typically reserved for repeat offenders/bad decision makers because management often needs to create a paper trail of bad performance reviews least the company be hit with a wrongful termination lawsuit.

IMHO, the real issue as the title points out is the "Another shining example"... the point being is that there are repeat and repeat and repeat problems with the website and systems at Carnival. That is not the fault of one little errant programmer or tester or database admin. This kind of pattern points to a cultural and/or structural issue with the IT department as a whole. Also perhaps the primary stakeholders of their deliverables share a small portion of the blame (often the chorus of people controlling/dictating the balance between requirements, schedules, timelines, and budget of IT: marketing, customer service, accounting/finance, corporate, facilities, engineering, corporate, payroll, etc.)

If firing is in order, and when there are multitudes of continued issues that are costing the company serious dollars either directly or indirectly (or worse: lives) the solution to the problems might be more effective if the sights are set higher up the chain of command.

I work in IT.

IMHO, the real issue as the title points out is the "Another shining example"... the point being is that there are repeat and repeat and repeat problems with the website and systems at Carnival. That is not the fault of one little errant programmer or tester or database admin. This kind of pattern points to a cultural and/or structural issue with the IT department as a whole. Also perhaps the primary stakeholders of their deliverables share a small portion of the blame (often the chorus of people controlling/dictating the balance between requirements, schedules, timelines, and budget of IT: marketing, customer service, accounting/finance, corporate, facilities, engineering, corporate, payroll, etc.)

I, too, work in IT.

I have a feeling that many of their "bugs" are due to the same issues we have where I work. A management who has no idea whatsoever what those "weird" people in IT/IS do all day. A managment who thinks we are wizards with magic wands (something we kind of want them to think ... but not all the time :D ) and can just go poof with our wands each time PR or sales want something up yesterday that needs about a week of work and testing and usually involves patching something into existing code with spit and baling wire.

One would think that a large corporation like Carnival has a HUGE IT department, and they probably do, but I'll bet only a small portion is devoted to the web site. In our not so HUGE corporation, we always get things at the last minute. We're the red-headed step child - no one understands us - no one tries :D

I don't care what the site looks like - just so long as it works. And that's the problem. They can't fix the bed thing, even. If they are dealing with lines and lines of old wonky code, I can understand.

Still not the kind of face you want to present to the public - especially if you want to talk them into taking one of your ity-bity (in the scheme of things) boats out into the Great Big Ocean!

Archived