Pullman or Sofa-Which is more Comfy???

seabird1122

I'm interested in the opinion of anyone who has had experience using the sofa and/or the pullman as a bed, as to which is more comfortable. I'm sailing on the Breakaway, but any NCL ship should be similar.

We will be 3 adults in a mini-suite, and it would help to know which we should ask the steward to make up.

The pullman is comfy - BUT an adult getting in & out of it is NOT! Opt for the sofa sleeper. I think the sofabed is the one the steward would most likely make up on their own.

Thanks for the answer :) As far as the getting in and out, does it make a difference that the adult is only 21? Is it the ladder that's difficult, or the clearance to the ceiling??

We have slept on the sofa bed in a mini suite and it was surprisingly comfortable. When made out it does take up a good amount of space, but not so much that you don't have room to walk to the balcony.

Have fun!

I found the sofa bed in our SJ on the Dawn very uncomfortable. We had asked for the bed to be separated into twins, but the steward told us it was not possible, so I tried the sofa one night. Didn't like it. So the next day they removed the bed, and replaced it with twins. Much better.

As for the upper....I have not experienced one on NCL, but have on Princess, and found it as comfortable as a twin.

My main complaint with the sofabed, is that I can feel the frame thru the thin mattress that is necessary in order to be folded up. I could actually sleep better on the sofa in the 'closed' position if it were long enough.

Thanks for the answer :) As far as the getting in and out, does it make a difference that the adult is only 21? Is it the ladder that's difficult, or the clearance to the ceiling??

Both, though the clearance is usually a bigger issue. My 5ft tall 12 yo (who is skinny as a rail) is still doing okay, but he bumped his head several times on our last cruise. He's been in pullmans since he was 3.5. We did have some issues with enough space for the ladder on the Star in an inside cabin, but that shouldn't be an issue in a mini-suite.

I found the sofa bed in our SJ on the Dawn very uncomfortable. We had asked for the bed to be separated into twins, but the steward told us it was not possible, so I tried the sofa one night. Didn't like it. So the next day they removed the bed, and replaced it with twins. Much better.

As for the upper....I have not experienced one on NCL, but have on Princess, and found it as comfortable as a twin.

My main complaint with the sofabed, is that I can feel the frame thru the thin mattress that is necessary in order to be folded up. I could actually sleep better on the sofa in the 'closed' position if it were long enough.

I also found our sofa bed (in a mini suite) on the Dawn to be very uncomfortable. I believe you can request a foam topper that might make it a little better, but I did not try that.

Edit: I decided I should be more specific! In addition to being very hard, it was also not flat -- there was a big indentation in the middle where the 2 pieces of the sofa met.

Archived