Tell me about Mekong River Cruises

delily

Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh: is going one direction preferred over going the other?

Why are the cruises $1000 less in July and August as opposed to January and February? Is it too wet in July and August? Is it too hot?

Is the scenery prettier during the wet season?

Has anyone started in Bangkok, and how did you visit that city? Are there any good private tours that would make touring Thailand easier than doing it on my own?

Sorry if these have all been covered before. I just discovered these cruises and think they may be preferable over an ocean based cruise that does the same countries. Do you agree? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Delily,

My husband and I are booked with VRC for their Mekong trip in mid Sept. We are doing the pre-trip to Bangkok as well. The lower price has got to be the weather - it will be very humid and hot when we travel. For those that can't abide the heat, traveling during the cooler months is probably worth the extra money.

Cathy

Hi Delily,

In 2010 we cruised from Siem Reap to HCMC. on the Mekong Explorer. We liked the fact that we saw the "best" first ie Ankor Wat others like to save the best till last. We saw most of the boats during the week on the river ie Pandaw and La Margaurite was berthed next to us in PP. Most stop at similar villages.

One of the reasons prices are cheaper in Aug is that it is the start of the monsoon and there may not be enough water in the Tonel Sap lake and you may have to bus it to the start of your cruise - we did.

We really enjoyed the cruise have since been on Pandaw on the Rajang river -Borneo and about to go on Pandaw on the Irrawaddy.

Vada

We did the Avalon Angkor in Oct. Started in Saigon (went over a couple of days in advance on our own as well). Count us in on saving the best for last - we loved ending up in Siem Reap!

Advantage of Avalon is you embark/disembark right in Saigon whereas the other ships have close to a 2 hr coach ride.

Even in Oct. at Angkor it was 100 deg. F and 100% humidity. We would literally walk a bit, sip water, walk a bit and keep repeating. It was a very strenuous trip but well worth it. Amazing in every way.

Ocean ships can't do that route and you will stop in interesting villages and see things you could never do. Everything was so well done and just about everything included.

We flew from Siem Reap to BKK with the group and a night at the Intercontinental Bangkok is part of the pkg as is the flight. Avalon also used the Intecontinental in Saigon for our included nights there.

All tour guides were excellent and Mark the tour leader is utterly fantastic, knowledgable, friendly and added so much to our trip enjoyment.

Go for it!:D

Archived