Ice Wine

BC makes some of the best Ice Wine in the world. I'm not a fan as it is way too sweet for my tastes but a number of their wineries have won international awards. Expect it to be pricy, $100 bucks for a 355ml bottle of an award winning vintage is not uncommon but there is cheaper stuff readily available. Normally comes in a very tall skinny bottle.

I am not a big fan of ice wines either however, I was given a couple of bottles from the Silver Sage Winery in the southern Okanogan. We enjoyed one of them over ice cream on a few occasions and the other has sat in the fridge for about 2 years now. I am not certain that Silver Sage products are available in BC Liquor stores.

I've also had a good experience with the dessertier offerings at Silver Sage.

Frankly though I'd suggest you buy the cheapest ice wine you can find to try first - it is a style of wine that tends to put people straight into Love It or Hate It categories, as it is outrageously sweet.

Several of the Ontario producers make ice wine much, *much* cheaper than over here - right now the lowest priced product in BC Liquor is Naked Grape Vidal at $22.99 for a 200ml bottle. Vidal is by far the most popular varietal to make ice wine with - it's very hardy so more of it survives the process than other grapes, and it always has pleasant tropical fruity flavours in the mango/apricot zone.

Everyone I know who does like the stuff moves gradually away from the super-sweet end toward more subtle wines, but given how expensive even the cheapest stuff is I still strongly recommend a straight-up Vidal before experimenting - it's easy to spend $100 on a half-bottle of red and if you don't like it, you'd have to be the kind of person who lights cigars with $50s not to feel that pain in your wallet!

Although if you do have money to burn, pick up a sparkling red ice wine - it's like drinking a Lava Lamp:D

Just be prepared as it can be very expensive. Here is a link to our Provincial site which gives prices for Ice Wine. Sorry, I don't indulge so can't recommend but this will give you a starting point. :)

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-catalogue?type=wine&sub=icewine <--click here

I worked at the BC liquor stores for many years and most 375ml ice wines will be $50cdn.

I would also suggest some late harvest wines which are similiar but not picked at 1st frost. The are about half the price.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-catalogue?search=late%20harvest#!/product-catalogue?search=late%20harvest&country=canada

The reason ice wines are so expensive is that pickers are on standby and they pick when the grape are semi frozen. Limited pick time = limited quantities = high cost

The wines are sweet but they seem to lack complexity of flavour.

As a note, the yield of icewine per area of vineyard is quite low, I understand about 1/10th that of wine, which results in the higher price.

Harvest temperature has to be below -9C or so and has to remain so while the grapes are being pressed.

Archived