hump stateroom

ceba

I read alot about a "hump" stateroom. Where are they and what makes them special?

Attached is a thumbnail that shows the "hump" bump out. This is Deck 9, and all the other decks are mirror images. Notice the staterooms on the "angle." They have larger balconies. This also shows the proportional sizes of the balconies. Note the location of these cabins to the aft elevators and stairs. This is a very convenient location on the ship -- up to the buffet/Sunset Bar, down to the dining/Martini Bar.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24259746&postcount=14

Where did you get this super graphic?

I did a google search for our room on Eclipse next month and found it. However I have since found it came from a long thread on CC about the Solstace class of ships. There are lots of similar graphics on there.

Does anyone know if cabin 6215 on the Solstice class is directly above the lifeboats?

It would not be directly above the lifeboats but would be very close to them. It will probably be directly above one of the evacuation chute enclosures (large white box looking objects on deck 5). It will also be above one of the few smoking areas of the ship.

Also, the cabins on the flat part 'of the hump' are also great. Very sunny and bright, and they look straight down to the ocean, whereas the other cabins look down to the lifeboats. Super convenient location, too. We were ten steps from the midship elevators and just loved that location.

Once we were in an FV, which were all the way forward. What a PITA! A hike to get anywhere; so, after that experience, I really appreciated this great location.

We had an angled cabin just next to the hump and loved it. We’ve also sailed center hump. We like the convenience of a hump cabins.

On some threads, I’ve seen the term “obstructed” used for cabins next to the hump, because you can’t see around the hump to the front/back of the ship. I find this that reasoning silly as that would make any balcony except those on hump obstructed – a ridiculous thought.

enjoy

M

We had an angled cabin just next to the hump and loved it. We’ve also sailed center hump. We like the convenience of a hump cabins.

On some threads, I’ve seen the term “obstructed” used for cabins next to the hump, because you can’t see around the hump to the front/back of the ship. I find this that reasoning silly as that would make any balcony except those on hump obstructed – a ridiculous thought.

enjoy

M

I think obstructed is just used on Deck 6, because the views are obstructed by the lifeboats, not the angles.

enjoy

M

No, i would be miffed if having paid for a balcony cabin I couldnt see 180 degrees, left and right. To me not being able to do so would be classed as obstructed. Ive sailed on enough ships to not face such obstruction. If Celebrity design their ships with obstructions to the view then thats a detriment.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Here you can see the bigger balconies on the angled part leading to the hump:

znsac8.jpg

This graphic is correct for the balcony size on the hump BUT staterooms 9296 and 9298 are the same size as 9294 and 9292. The graphic makes it appear that the lavender rooms are larger. The lavender cabins are concierge class CC (note footstools in the photo) , the magenta rooms are 1A, and the pink are 1B on deck 9. The lower decks have different categories.

It would not be directly above the lifeboats but would be very close to them. It will probably be directly above one of the evacuation chute enclosures (large white box looking objects on deck 5). It will also be above one of the few smoking areas of the ship.
Yikes - smoke!! Now that really is something we had not realised. Not much we can do now. We have the same cabin for 4 consecutive cruises and one of them is completely sold out. It was not that easy to get the same cabin right through so we will just have accept however it turns out.

This graphic is correct for the balcony size on the hump BUT staterooms 9296 and 9298 are the same size as 9294 and 9292. The graphic makes it appear that the lavender rooms are larger. The lavender cabins are concierge class CC (note footstools in the photo) , the magenta rooms are 1A, and the pink are 1B on deck 9. The lower decks have different categories.

Those cabins are all the same size. Its just the balconies that differ. If you lined up the actual cabins per the graphics you would see they are the same size.

No, i would be miffed if having paid for a balcony cabin I couldnt see 180 degrees, left and right. To me not being able to do so would be classed as obstructed. Ive sailed on enough ships to not face such obstruction. If Celebrity design their ships with obstructions to the view then thats a detriment.

So that would mean that most all cabins, except those true aft and the hump would be considered obstructed. I know the cruise lines does not consider the same.

there are very few ships where you can stand on your balcony, or most anywhere, and see all the way to the front AND all the way to the back. Center hump would be the only place.

m

So that would mean that most all cabins, except those true aft and the hump would be considered obstructed. I know the cruise lines does not consider the same.

there are very few ships where you can stand on your balcony, or most anywhere, and see all the way to the front AND all the way to the back. Center hump would be the only place.

m

We have sailed P&O who have ships the same as Princess and there are no humps, so no obstructions to views left or right,

We have sailed P&O who have ships the same as Princess and there are no humps, so no obstructions to views left or right,

Many of the Celebrity ships ( as well as RCCL) have that design feature. Yikes - some ships have two humps! I dont recall seeing many/any comments on the cabin spreadsheet using the term "obstructed" for general cabin views that are non hump cabins on ships with the hump feature.

Again with other's reasoning that a hump creates an obstruction, only true center hump cabins are non obstructed. most all cabins ( say on the Solstice Class) would have to be classified as obstructed.

In my opinion, a hump does not cause another cabin to have an obstructed view.

m

No, i would be miffed if having paid for a balcony cabin I couldnt see 180 degrees, left and right. To me not being able to do so would be classed as obstructed. Ive sailed on enough ships to not face such obstruction. If Celebrity design their ships with obstructions to the view then thats a detriment....

I guess we all have different priorities and preferences, but I've never considered these cabins obstructed and never considered these minor limitations in view as being negative in any way. They've also never come as a surprise at all as we always look for our cabins on a deck plan before booking and the angles have been very apparent.

How can I figure out if my room has the bed by the balcony or the bath? It's solstice room 9209- on the hump :) also wondering if each room has 2 chairs on the balcony? I thought I read on another board that they each only had 1?

~Elise

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

How can I figure out if my room has the bed by the balcony or the bath? It's solstice room 9209- on the hump :) also wondering if each room has 2 chairs on the balcony? I thought I read on another board that they each only had 1?

~Elise

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm almost positive it's by the balcony since the two on either side have sofa beds, which are always by the balcony meaning the bed is by the bath in them. Yes, all cabins have at lest two chairs--our last one had three and we asked them to take it away

Archived