Wired Internet?

WayneFougere

Do the suites on the Zuiderdam have wired Internet connections for laptops?

Wireless only. I might be mistaken, but I don't think there are any locations where you can use a wired connection. There might be in the Windows Workshop area but not sure since I have never been one.

Yes ... and No. All of the Vista ships have dial-up ports in all cabins, right next to the telephone jack ... BUT they never worked very well, and are no longer operational on any of the ships. But your laptop probably doesn't have a dial-up port anyway! :)

Do the suites on the Zuiderdam have wired Internet connections for laptops?

Yes they do have plug ins for the cables by the phone on the nightstand where the phone is. However, they are no longer connected and only WiFi is available.

Very hard to see it, but if you look at this photo and enlarge it, look at the phone jack is plugged in, that is only about 1/2 inch from the internet jack, which no longer works

http://abqreunion2008.com/Zuiderdam/4180-6_J-n-G.jpg

Here is another photo http://abqreunion2008.com/Zuiderdam/5187-2_MACPC.jpg

EDITED TO ADD: John, I was typing and editing as you were posting. Sorry.

Joanie

EDITED TO ADD: John, I was typing and editing as you were posting. Sorry.

I noticed the times ... that happens all the time. :):) Actually, I thought of trying to dig up a photo too, but then decided not to bother. :)

Yes they do have plug ins for the cables by the phone on the nightstand where the phone is. However, they are no longer connected and only WiFi is available.

Very hard to see it, but if you look at this photo and enlarge it, look at the phone jack is plugged in, that is only about 1/2 inch from the internet jack, which no longer works

That's a shame. I saw what looked like a network plug in a photo (just like your pictures) and hoped it was a network connection (so that I could plug in an Air Port Express to create my own in-room wifi).

(so that I could plug in an Air Port Express to create my own in-room wifi).
What would be the advantage of that? The speed bottleneck on ships is not the wifi to the ship server but the satellite link, and the price you'd pay with your own wifi would be the same.

What would be the advantage of that? The speed bottleneck on ships is not the wifi to the ship server but the satellite link, and the price you'd pay with your own wifi would be the same.

I just had an idea. Since everyone notes that the reception is spotty at best and our cabin is as far as you can get from the closest wifi source (I'm guessing at least 100' from the desk in the room), I figured it would be better reception for my iPad if I set up a wifi connection that was closer. Since there's no network connection in the room, I won't be able to test my theory. I suspect there'll be no wifi access in the room and that I'll be looking for comfy chairs in public spaces with good signals.

I just had an idea. ... and that I'll be looking for comfy chairs in public spaces with good signals.
Interesting idea ... but sorry. You say you'll be in "a suite". If that's a Neptune suite then the Neptune Lounge would be a good place to connect. If not a Neptune Suite, then the Explorations Cafe in the Crow's Nest always has a strong signal. If you want a less busy location, there's a nice dark and often quiet corner on the forward end of the Ocean Bar on the starboard side that I like.

Interesting idea ... but sorry. You say you'll be in "a suite". If that's a Neptune suite then the Neptune Lounge would be a good place to connect. If not a Neptune Suite, then the Explorations Cafe in the Crow's Nest always has a strong signal. If you want a less busy location, there's a nice dark, quiet corner on the forward end of the Ocean Bar on the starboard side that I like.

I expect I'll be visiting the Neptune Lounge in the mornings. The idea of spending some afternoon time in a bar doesn't sound too bad either.

I just had an idea. Since everyone notes that the reception is spotty at best and our cabin is as far as you can get from the closest wifi source (I'm guessing at least 100' from the desk in the room), I figured it would be better reception for my iPad if I set up a wifi connection that was closer. Since there's no network connection in the room, I won't be able to test my theory. I suspect there'll be no wifi access in the room and that I'll be looking for comfy chairs in public spaces with good signals.

The aft Neptune Suites on the Zuiderdam have Cisco repeaters mounted on the ceilings so you don't have to leave your room to get good reception on the ship.

The aft Neptune Suites on the Zuiderdam have Cisco repeaters mounted on the ceilings so you don't have to leave your room to get good reception on the ship.

Such great advice from everyone is wonderful.

Having a repeater in the suite makes me feel very privileged. Now I'm going to have to buy as much time as possible!

Such great advice from everyone is wonderful.

Having a repeater in the suite makes me feel very privileged. Now I'm going to have to buy as much time as possible!

I do not know how many of the Cisco repeaters are on board all the other HAL ships, but on the Zuiderdam theere are now 400 of them throughout the ship, including one that we saw on the ceiling of the Deck 2 Dining Room.

If I remember correctly, Bobhan, the Hotel Manager told us that they were either going to be installed fleet wide or had already been done.

Also, hubby turns his cell phone into a Hot Spot while in US Ports.

Joanie

How would I know one of these if I saw it? :confused:

It's a box about 8" square and 1-11/2" thick with the blue Cisco logo in the center. In our aft Nepture is was mounted on the ceiling in the center of the room. With the ship-wide upgrade to the system I had close to "at home" speed and signal strenght on my tablet.

We usually have suite opposite Neptune Lounge and I often have to leave our cabin door open a bit to get a decent connection.

The connections in Neptune are usually good.

Not to hi jack the thread, but I am always concern about the security on wifi. I caught a bad virus a few years ago in Vegas connected to what I thought was a secure wifi network. now I just pay verizon extra to have the hotspot ability so I know it is secure.

I have to cut payroll for my company while on vacation so I need a secure connection

I caught a bad virus a few years ago in Vegas connected to what I thought was a secure wifi network.
Whether a network is secure or not has little to do with whether you can catch bad things from it. My home network is certainly secure, but I could catch all kinds of trouble if I went around clicking on links in spam! :eek:

Not to hi jack the thread, but I am always concern about the security on wifi. I caught a bad virus a few years ago in Vegas connected to what I thought was a secure wifi network. now I just pay verizon extra to have the hotspot ability so I know it is secure.

I have to cut payroll for my company while on vacation so I need a secure connection

You did not get the virus because the wifi network was not secure. You got it from going to a bad website or opening a link in your email. That would not matter whether the hotspot was secure or not. When a wifi network is not secure it means someone can read your email etc. like they were you. Or get your passwords for banking and Facebook. Certainly you would not want to cut a company payroll at any hotspot without doing it over a VPN! If your company does not have a VPN there are VPN services you can sign up for.

• 2 weeks later...
It's a box about 8" square and 1-11/2" thick with the blue Cisco logo in the center. In our aft Nepture is was mounted on the ceiling in the center of the room. With the ship-wide upgrade to the system I had close to "at home" speed and signal strenght on my tablet.

There it is, exactly as you noted. The connection is definitively strong in the room. The speed itself is still slow compared to what I'm used to; but, not outrageously slow as some suggest.

Archived