Fact.. fiction and many questions

VickiD59

Hostile crowd :(

I never said, or suggested that NCL was a step down from any line. What I did say was that I only had Carnival to compare to (and btw I don't find that to be a bad thing), and I was looking for a little help on the NCL boards for information from maybe someone who has cruised both lines. Isn't that the purpose of these message boards?

I have no intention of cancelling our trip, seriously.. lighten up.

I have cruised both. Two Carnival and Four NCL. I choose NCL and in a suite. It meets my wants and needs. But I couldn't say that my preference would be yours.

Definately Carnival does BINGO better but that's about all I can say it does much better.

Both lines do stellar Chef's Tables.

Thanks in advance for your patience and answers to my questions - I welcome your opinions. :)

I've only cruised twice before, both times with Carnival out of NY. I loved both cruises, and if it wasn't for the lack of NY itineraries, we'd probably cruise CCL again. We cruise every other July with a group of extended family and friends. We prefer to remain on home turf and sail from NY, but this limited our options until a big girl named Breakaway sailed into town :D

Many in our group have sailed other lines, but no one has yet to sail NCL.

We very much enjoy having an assigned dining time, with a table we know is our's and a waitstaff that we come to know. This may be the one thing that will really take getting used to - but obviously it's not a deal breaker.

We're booked for July 2014 and are all very excited, but there are a couple of nit-picky things - there are things I am looking forward to, and other things that make me scrunch up my nose.

1. Cost of the cruise - I do realize it's a brand new ship but WOW!

2. This size of the balconies - shameful! :eek:

3. Freestyle dining! :(

4. Nickel, diming and dollar'ing ya to death - the corkage fee!

I would appreciate any CCL/NCL cruisers out there that could maybe give me your comparitive opinions. As our NCL vacation planner said, 'it's like comparing apples to oranges".. but I'd still like to be able to enjoy the fruit ;)

Thank you everyone!

Vicki

I cruised Carnival.... once :eek:

They only let you bring on 1 bottle of wine per adult and charge you $10 to open in the MDR and $14 at the steakhouse. On NCL it's $15 but you can bring on as many as you want.

Could you provide examples of "nickel and diming" what exactly does NCL charge for that is free on CCL?

I've never waited more than 10 minutes on 2 occasions for a table in the MDR.

I don't understand the "getting to know your waiter and them know your preferences" .... I don't dine like that at home why would I do that on a cruise ship??

Hopefully you go in with an open mind and enjoy your vacation. Sounds like you're already setting yourself up for disappointment...

I never said, or suggested that NCL was a step down from any line. What I did say was that I only had Carnival to compare to (and btw I don't find that to be a bad thing), and I was looking for a little help on the NCL boards for information from maybe someone who has cruised both lines. Isn't that the purpose of these message boards?

Everything in the original post was a negative-enhanced complaint or fear.

Purple frown for the Freestyle Dining line? Why? If fixed-table dining is important, NCL ain't the line for you. My in-laws absolutely cannot do without fixed-table dining so they eschew NCL for a cruise.

Nickel-and-diming? Where did you hear that? NCL is no different than any line when it comes to seperating you from your money.

Going in with all the negativity could easily doom you to a ...... less than fine time.

Hi, I assume the Gem out of NY to the Bahamas & Florida has already been considered and tossed...? Have you considered the Boston port? That would open up the Dawn Bermuda and Canada/New England 7 & 14 day cruises to you. It may be a little further of a drive to the port, but not by too terribly much for someone from just north of NY. This it might be an option to consider. GL :D

And RCCL sails from Bayonne, NJ. $$ isn't much more than CCL or NCL.

I prefer CCL to NCL, but NE/Canada itinerary on NCL was, well, tops.

Cruised Carnival once - never again.

Princess, Royal Caribbean, and NCL numerous times. Food is comparable on all three. Service is better on NCL with Royal Caribbean close behind. Princess tends to be a little more upscale. I'd put Royal and NCL as more relaxed, for lack of a better word.

Purple frown for the Freestyle Dining line? Why? If fixed-table dining is important, NCL ain't the line for you. My in-laws absolutely cannot do without fixed-table dining so they eschew NCL for a cruise.

Nickel-and-diming? Where did you hear that? NCL is no different than any line when it comes to seperating you from your money.

Going in with all the negativity could easily doom you to a ...... less than fine time.

I found Carnival to be with the worst with that. Every second someone was in your face to buy a drink. It was so bad that you couldn't even relax on the pool deck. I don't recall having that issue on Royal Caribbean, and I know we have never had that issue on NCL. I agree with you - a vacation can most definitely be ruined right off the bat with doom and gloom thoughts!

First off I have to clarify, my preference in having a set dining time is not to get chummy with the waitstaff, but we do enjoy knowing we have our table; no waiting in line. I'm sure we'll find a rhythm - maybe send the men folk down at 7:30 to jump on line while we finish getting ready ;). We'll work it out I'm sure.

Also, I realize we are sailing a brand new ship - which is the whole reason we're trying NCL. Right now it's the best NY has to offer; just had sticker shock for a moment or two.

But I do have to say, we have never been charged a fee to carry on our own wine.. ever. Perhaps the wine package is the way to go. I'll pass that along to the rest of our group.

As I mentioned earlier, I have been enjoying reading all the recent reviews as of late and I've found alot of information. I thank those who have taken a great deal of time to write them.

If you have a large party just make reservations. Check with the maitre d the first day they will be able to help you out

Don't pay any attention to them. As you can see from my signature, I have also cruised Carnival and really enjoyed it. There are pluses and minuses to all cruise lines. For me, Freestyle works better on port days, but I had tons of fun on my CCL cruises also. It's all in the attitude. I can tell you are sincerely looking for information so ignore anyone with an agenda who doesn't want to help you.

Don't pay any attention to them. As you can see from my signature' date=' I have also cruised Carnival and really enjoyed it. There are pluses and minuses to all cruise lines. For me, Freestyle works better on port days, but I had tons of fun on my CCL cruises also. It's all in the attitude. I can tell you are sincerely looking for information so ignore anyone with an agenda who doesn't want to help you.[/quote']

Much appreciated, and yes I can see where freestyle would definitely work best on port days.

As others have said making reservations in the main dining room will make sure you have a table waiting. You can even reserve the same table/area and possibly get the same waiter. We had a party of 8 on the Star in December and made dinner reservations for every night, our table was always waiting.

There are so many free dining options that you don't have to go to any of the fee restaurants, we never did and were perfectly happy with the food. The fee restaurants are an option for those who chose to partake, but by no means are they a must for anyone.

I find the prices of alcohol on all cruise lines to be ridiculous! I understand they make their money on alcohol but dang! On NCL you can bring on all the soda and water you want for free and even though you are charged a corkage fee for wine it isn't crazy. The wine packages are a good buy when you compare buying your own and having to haul it around until you get to your room. You also have to option to buy the beverage package at $49.00 a day plus the 15% auto gratuity. Depending on how much you drink it might be a good option.

I sailed on Carnival in the 90's (and enjoyed them) so I really can't compare them to my one NCL cruise in December but I can tell you the service on NCL is fantastic! This is the reason I have two more NCL cruises booked.

I hope you all enjoy your cruise!:D

Never had a bad cruise with any cruise line.

On CCL it was nice to have set dining times..always chose late dining. On NCL it was nice to pick and choose where to eat and when to eat.

One must be easily adaptable to different situations on board any cruise line

I don't understand the "getting to know your waiter and them know your preferences" .... I don't dine like that at home why would I do that on a cruise ship??

I think it's not a matter of really getting to know them but more a matter of seeing a familiar face, not having small talk every evening with another waiter, them giving you advice on land excursions etc...

Them knowing your preferences can be very useful. On our last cruise, the waiter knew from the start that I don't like mushrooms at all (understatement!).

After that he told me every day what my options were, which dishes he could deliver without having had mushrooms in them (even though they were listed as having mushrooms in them).

This really made my experience a lot more pleasant.

NCL do not run you down to by drinks like NCL

NCL still have live band as well as DJ on Lidio Deck

I too prefer CCL dinning. Same staff and set timing.

Cabins on NCL is a little smaller

Breakaway I believe have more to offer in poolside entertainment, bowling, rock climbing vs non of these on CCL.

Food is better on NCL

CCL use to be my favorite line. However, some of the recent cut backs have lead to me enjoying NCL more. I think the only other cruise line is RCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Have never sailed with CCL, but Princess, RCCL and just got off NCL Spirit. RCCL was more in your face for buying drinks and pestering you, but that was a Carribean cruise and we just did the Grand Med, so not sure if location is an issue. They were THERE if you wanted something but never pestering you. We love the ability to be able to choose when WE want to eat and who we want to eat with .(which you can do easily on all three lines,btw)

Only waited 20 min one night for a table and that's cause we wanted the window seat. Usually got a great table every night with NO waiting. Only ate in a specialty restaurant one night and it was comp due to a room issue. Food is nothing to write home about,but we were there for the ports of call.

Our stateroom balcony was just big enough for the two of us to enjoy and we loved having one!!!

Enjoy your cruise!

I agree with the negativity of the OP, plus I wonder where the nickle and diming comes from. NCL Breakaway offers about 6 free dining venues. How many does CCL offer? NCL offers tons of shows and entertainment for free (with great reviews) - how many does CCL offer? I guess CCL ONLY had one fee restaurant - so glad NCL has so many more choices! My friend was sailing on CCL the same time I was sailing on NCL, and she was so jealous that I was bringing on a case of wine (and paying corkage). She and her DH were only allowed 2 bottles, and still had to pay corkage in the MDR.

I don't believe soda is free on CCL, and on NCL, you have to buy a soda card if you want unlimited. The Breakaway has free amazing water slides, ropes course, rock climbing...

I'm just curious as to where NCL is lacking. On our last NCL cruise, we were a party of 10, and did make reservations in the MDR for some nights. However, most of the time we just walked on in and were seated right away.

OP, don't borrow worry. I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised!

I don't understand the "getting to know your waiter and them know your preferences"

My family and I loved this aspect of our last cruise and our waiter still stars in our memories. He had shrimp cocktail waiting at my sons plate when we walked in, taught my daughter how to do fancy napkin folding, and he always took an initiative in bringing us plates of things we hadn't even ordered because he just knew we'd love it. Hell, I wanted to adopt the guy and bring him home!

Thanks in advance for your patience and answers to my questions - I welcome your opinions. :)

I've only cruised twice before, both times with Carnival out of NY. I loved both cruises, and if it wasn't for the lack of NY itineraries, we'd probably cruise CCL again. We cruise every other July with a group of extended family and friends. We prefer to remain on home turf and sail from NY, but this limited our options until a big girl named Breakaway sailed into town :D

Many in our group have sailed other lines, but no one has yet to sail NCL.

We very much enjoy having an assigned dining time, with a table we know is our's and a waitstaff that we come to know. This may be the one thing that will really take getting used to - but obviously it's not a deal breaker.

We're booked for July 2014 and are all very excited, but there are a couple of nit-picky things - there are things I am looking forward to, and other things that make me scrunch up my nose.

1. Cost of the cruise - I do realize it's a brand new ship but WOW!

2. This size of the balconies - shameful! :eek:

3. Freestyle dining! :(

4. Nickel, diming and dollar'ing ya to death - the corkage fee!

I would appreciate any CCL/NCL cruisers out there that could maybe give me your comparitive opinions. As our NCL vacation planner said, 'it's like comparing apples to oranges".. but I'd still like to be able to enjoy the fruit ;)

Thank you everyone!

Vicki

Sorry for the negative responses you have gotten on here.

I haven't cruised on Carnival, but have on almost every other cruise line, most recently Celebrity and Crystal. I had my first NCL cruise last year. Is the experience the same as on Celebrity and Crystal, no, but I must have had a great time, because I booked two more cruises.

I thought the cabin and balcony were smaller than both Celebrity and Crystal, but had great storage space and the balcony was fine for sitting out watching the world go by.

I choose not to eat in the MDR and did specialty restaurants, but if you don't want to pay extra there are quite a few choices at no additional cost to you. I actually thought the lunch buffet was better than the buffet on Celebrity.

I don't bring on my own wine, just don't want to have to lug it around, would rather just purchase on board. But if you want it is $15 per bottle corkage fee.

As far as nickle and diming, I look at it this way. You only have to pay your cruise fare and the DSC and nothing more if you don't want to and can have a great time. Is NCL (and every other cruise line) going to try to have you purchase more things while on board, yes. I believe that only you can nickle and dime yourself, as no one can get into your wallet except you.

If you go into the cruise expecting a great time, that is what you will likely have. If you go in being apprehensive, well I think you get my drift. Just remember that it will be a different experience than other cruise lines, but that is not a negative. It is just that every cruise line offers a different experience than anyone else does.

Vicki, I think that the "tone" of your post was really nothing more than a little fear of the unknown. You're used to one thing and you're now being presented with another. Its different and a little strange to you. I understand. This will be my first NCL cruise also. However, I see the differences as a good thing to be embraced. No matter, I know you're going to love your cruise.

I understand that this time around you're really interested in Breakaway. Maybe next time you and your friends might consider one of the 3 bedroom villas some NCL ships have. Its pricy, I won't argue that, but when you consider that you and your friends will literally have a 3 bedroom luxurious apartment with two levels of private deck complete with a private hot tub and butler service, it almost screams to be booked. Just think about how cool that would be when you all come back after an excursion. You, obviously still have the rest of the ship to enjoy as well. It's such a great option for a larger group of people cruising together, and when you divvy up the fare amongst you, it should be within the doable range.

Just a thought for a future cruise if you decide you do like NCL.

PS: try going to youtube and searching for "Norwegian Cruise 3 bedroom villas"

On 1 of my Carnival cruises I was seated at a table with 7 people that did not speak a word of English, I spoke not a word in German. Just some forced smiles at the table every day.

Wasn't to much fun & I don't miss that type of setup. Freestyle for me now.

We had an poor experience with tablemates on a cruise a number of years ago too. I love that getting a table for 2 on NCL is easy. We had anytime dining on our last Carnival cruise but we were always seated with others. There was always a long wait for a table for 2.

OP, don't worry. There aren't many differences with the exception of dining. Yes, you pay a corkage fee for wine you take onboard, but you can drink it anywhere on the ship, not just in your cabin like Carnival. There are more dining options with an extra charge than youl'll find on Carnival but it's your choice. You don't have to go. It's all about choices. I enjoyed the Carnival cruises and would go again but I prefer NCL at this point.

Sorry for the negative responses you have gotten on here.

I haven't cruised on Carnival, but have on almost every other cruise line, most recently Celebrity and Crystal. I had my first NCL cruise last year. Is the experience the same as on Celebrity and Crystal, no, but I must have had a great time, because I booked two more cruises.

I thought the cabin and balcony were smaller than both Celebrity and Crystal, but had great storage space and the balcony was fine for sitting out watching the world go by.

I choose not to eat in the MDR and did specialty restaurants, but if you don't want to pay extra there are quite a few choices at no additional cost to you. I actually thought the lunch buffet was better than the buffet on Celebrity.

I don't bring on my own wine, just don't want to have to lug it around, would rather just purchase on board. But if you want it is $15 per bottle corkage fee.

As far as nickle and diming, I look at it this way. You only have to pay your cruise fare and the DSC and nothing more if you don't want to and can have a great time. Is NCL (and every other cruise line) going to try to have you purchase more things while on board, yes. I believe that only you can nickle and dime yourself, as no one can get into your wallet except you.

If you go into the cruise expecting a great time, that is what you will likely have. If you go in being apprehensive, well I think you get my drift. Just remember that it will be a different experience than other cruise lines, but that is not a negative. It is just that every cruise line offers a different experience than anyone else does.

I think its fare to say the perception of "nickle and diming" depends on your point of view. NCL offers many options when it comes to dining and other options for relaxation or entertainment. We have been cruising for many years and many different lines and from tat perspective I understand completely why the nickle and diming reputation is many times attached to NCL. Some examples are

NCL has whole sections of decks available only to Haven cabins. They have their own pool, sunning area and even Restaurent.

Its true NCL has many dining options for a fee which most cheerleaders will tell you you don't have to use if you don't want. They will also point out that other cruise lines have pay for upscale dining too. What they don't say is that many foods available in the main dining rooms of most cruise lines is only available in the pay restaurent on NCL. Try and find a shrimp cocktail, escargot, osso boco, creme brulee, decent steak on the NCL main dining menu. You can't they are only available in the upcharge places.

Don't get me wrong, other lines are cutting back and charging for services that use to be free but its clearly more obvious on the NCL line.

For those that sail other lines or been around long enough there is definately a feel of "nickle and Diming"

Vicki, I didn't see any negativity in your post. I have cruised all lines and this will be my first time back to NCL in about 20 years. I am also concerned about freestyle as I love the traditional dining, but I'm ready to give it a try.

As for nickel and diming - I think that's a bad choice of words (not your fault). Everything you pay for is optional, which keeps the costs way down.

I know I am paying way less to cruise this time than 20 or more years ago, so the profit has to come from somewhere - and I'm glad it's optional things, which I don't need.

Enjoy your planning.

Thanks again to all of you that managed to see past my poorly worded original post- again it was never my intention to cause an uproar. Many of you have given me valuable info and we are booking our cruise later today. Now I will really be picking your brains even more in the coming months! :)

Archived