Breakaway weekend getaway from NYC

Hi everyone! Thinking about treating my mom to a two night "cruise to nowhere" weekend getaway on the Breakaway as her present from me for helping me with my upcoming wedding. NYC is the closest port of call which works great because we are on the east coast so we wouldn't have to fly. However, I am wondering what your thoughts are as the sailings are January 17 or 31, 2014... which may be rather cold? My mom loves cruising and NCL is her favorite line (mine too) so I think she would like it alot, and she hates the heat so maybe the weather will be OK on deck? Also is it worth the cost of getting a balcony stateroom in January or would it be too cold to go out there? I will say my mom has always had a balcony stateroom so not sure how she'd feel about an oceanview. Any advice or thoughts are most appreciated :)

I cruised on a Jewel Cruise To Nowhere out of NYC at the beginning of February and stayed in an (upsell) Owner's Suite. Although it was definitely cold on the balconies, my bf managed an actual nap (!) on the side balcony...albeit covered with two blankets!! He told me when he woke up that he was determined to sleep on the balcony considering he was on a cruise after all!!

We had a great time overall I highly recommend it!:)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I was on the Cruise to Nowhere on the Jewel from Manhattan in mid-January '13. We did not use the balcony much, mostly because it was such a short trip. Still I like the balcony for the view and the light.

We did spend a bit of time outside, even in the hot tubs late one night and playing shuffle board with cocktails one afternoon. It was much warmer that afternoon that I expected.

I ran up a big tab on that cruise because it was so short and we want to try it all. We found the Jewel just a bit dated. I think checking out Breakaway would be more fun, but so far it has been priced very high. Still, it might be a nice treat.

Chris

Hi,

I was on the Cruise to Nowhere on the Jewel from Manhattan in mid-January '13. We did not use the balcony much, mostly because it was such a short trip. Still I like the balcony for the view and the light.

We did spend a bit of time outside, even in the hot tubs late one night and playing shuffle board with cocktails one afternoon. It was much warmer that afternoon that I expected.

I ran up a big tab on that cruise because it was so short and we want to try it all. We found the Jewel just a bit dated. I think checking out Breakaway would be more fun, but so far it has been priced very high. Still, it might be a nice treat.

Chris

Thank you, Chris! In the end, I decided on a 4-day cruise to St. John, Canada, on Carnival, since it also sails out of NYC and is a little longer and less expensive. But I would not be opposed to the cruise to nowhere in the future, so all of this info is good to know :)

Thank you, Chris! In the end, I decided on a 4-day cruise to St. John, Canada, on Carnival, since it also sails out of NYC and is a little longer and less expensive. But I would not be opposed to the cruise to nowhere in the future, so all of this info is good to know :)

You must be going on the Glory. That's a good cruise too. ENJOY!!! Check out the Canada ports of call board for things to do in Saint John.

You must be going on the Glory. That's a good cruise too. ENJOY!!! Check out the Canada ports of call board for things to do in Saint John.

Thank you! Actually, it's the Splendor! :D When I booked, it only had 1 sailing, but now it looks like there are 2 for that itinerary.

Archived