Avalon Affinity - Vienna to Amsterdam July 2012

Neliska

Avalon Affinity - Vienna to Amsterdam - July 2012

After having a sort out I came across my notes on the river cruise we did almost a year ago and that led to looking back through photos of the lovely towns we stopped at which some have now been hit hard with the recent flooding.

Last July we took our first river cruise. Why did we choose Avalon? Because it was a late decision most of the cruises on various lines were booked out, so we had limited availability but were more than happy with the cruise we did.

We did our booking mid February and all our plans tied in well with a trip to Croatia first and a week sailing on the Adriatic Pearl. Highly recommended, a very casual and laid back cruise, beautiful blue seas and we visited some great places.

We arrived back in Vienna for 3 nights prior to boarding the Affinity. We were very impressed with Vienna and how clean it was. We stayed at the Das Tyrol, advertised as a small luxury hotel and it didn’t disappoint.

As we are very much into horses (thoroughbred racing) a visit to the SpanishRidingSchool was a must. We purchased our tickets in NZ months before we left. Because it was summer the older experienced horses were out at the farm spelling but the show “Piber Meets Vienna” brings the mares and foals and young stallions to the famed riding school. It was absolute magic and not to be missed. The indoor arena has the wow factor with the chandeliers and just the grandeur of it all.

The shops in Vienna are closed on Sundays so a good day for a ride in a firkir (horse & carriage) with little traffic.

The hop on hop off bus was good value for 20 Euro each for an all day ticket. We did the city tour first then changed bus for the one that went to the PraterAmusement Park and later on to another for the SchronbrunnPalace bus.

We were able to drop our luggage off at the Intercontinental Hotel, the meeting place for the Avalon Affinity cruise, so we could make a visit to the Sacher Hotel to try the famous Sacher Torte and wander around the city.

At 4pm a bus was transporting everyone to the Affinity, about a 20 min drive.

Our Cruise Director was Nico de Nooyer who we found excellent.

Our cabin was at the end of the corridor and had a French balcony and whilst compact there was a place for everything. This was the last balcony cabin left when we booked but I don’t think I would choose this cabin again as early in the morning I would hear the staff going off to work and the door closing shut.

We thought the Affinity was a lovely ship with great panoramic views in the lounge when sailing.

It was kept spotlessly clean.

The meals were of a very good standard, plenty of wine and beer at dinner and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

Dinner did stretch over 2 – 2 1/2 hours.

The library was a good place to visit at the rear of the ship with a coffee machine and great cookies.

We were tied up alongside other river cruise ships quite often.

The towns we visited were delightful. Picture postcard stuff!

We had quite a few cooler days, quite a contrast to the hot weather we had in Croatia and Vienna.

We chose to do the Salzburg option. It was a difficult choice as there was also a visit to Cesky Krumlov or Passau. I am pleased we went to Salzburg. We were on the bus at 8.15am and had a 1 hour stop at Mondsee where it was raining lightly & also in Salzburg but it did clear in the afternoon. We left Salzburg around 3.15pm arriving back in Passau at 5pm. The countryside was beautiful.

It was a long day but well worth it.

Thank you to those who offered advice when I asked on Cruise Critic last year as to where to visit.

There was entertainment some evenings, drink specials with 2 for 1 deal, a boutique beer tasting session. Generally the nights were fairly quiet.

I thought the laundry prices were very reasonable.

The bed was very comfortable, but as I am a light sleeper I did hear the ship going through the locks at night so some days I was feeling quite sleep deprived!

The cobblestone paths and roads made it difficult for some passengers with mobility issues.

On the Red Light Tour in Amsterdam we had an elderly lady who left her walker at the ship and had a stick but she still had trouble keeping up. Someone had a great idea of hiring a rickshaw so with her daughter she was able to do the tour with no worries and in comfort.

We had a wonderful time and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again one day.:)

Thanks for reviewing! We were supposed to be on Avalon Affinity next week; unfortunately, we're canceled. Sounds like we will miss a good time - looking forward to another opportunity for a river cruise.

Archived