Laundry onboard

lovescarborough

We have not yet used laundry service onboard but may try it on our next cruise. What I really want to know is whether anyone has had problems with clothes shrinking in tumble driers . I assume that they use them onboard and so many clothes these days have the 'do not tumble dry ' symbol. Also I see that the clothes are just folded. Are they really creased or not too bad when you get them back ? Thanks for your help!

I used the laundry service on longer cruises and didn't have a problem with Celebrity. I've had a few problems with other lines. Send only tee shirts, shorts, jeans, and cotton underwear. My capri pants that I had them to launder needed to be pressed, so I sent them to be steamed pressed. I wouldn't send anything that you wouldn't want damaged or lost. One line bleached out some of my husbands nice Polo shirts.

I have used laundry services on board Celebrity a few times, since there are no self service laundries. I would not put anything that requires special handling into the bag. They are good for items like Jeans, men's underwear, knit cotton shirts that do not require ironing. They ruined a bra (very expensive) , it took days to get back a cover up that was lost and I received a pair of pants that were not mine. Eventually it was straightened out, but still a bother to deal with. You can probably pay extra to have some special item done but it will be very expensive. I pack enough to get me through about 16 days and use the service only for basic items when necessary. Living in NYC we are used to the tumble dry machines, there is no other way to go here, and yes some things do shrink.

We had a very good experience with laundry on Celebrity. Everything we sent out (jeans, shots, tee, smalls) came back neatly folded, and we were never missing any items. The only small annoyance was pulling off the all the little tags they put on each piece to identify what laundry belongs to each cabin. I wouldn't put anything other than wash and wear pieces in the laundry, but for those they do have a dry clean option, with which we have also had success.

I have used the laundry and never thought about everything shrinking because if it. Now I know why my clothes don't fit and feel tight after a cruise. :D

My wife won't use it becasue she is worried that her clothes will be ruined by not washing properly, such as using bleach, too hot and etc.. I only use it for socks, under wear, shorts, dockers, and t shirts, nothing really expensive or that I am afraid of being ruined.

We've had good luck with the laundry services. I would recommend that if you have something important that you send that item out separately and write instructions on the packing slip on how you want the item handled.

Beware the laundry service on the Infinity. You'll wish you had those little strips back. Yes, it's an extra step to have to remove them, but it's a LOT better than their using some sort of black permanent marker that shows through your clothes. Apparently they put all your clothes together, so they ruined a brand new shirt which was light colored and came back with splotches of a dark color all over it.

I've used Celebrity's laundry service many times without a problem, but this ship seems to have problems. A friend got someone else's underwear included with her laundry and didn't get some of hers. They did find the rest of her clothes eventually. Who knows if the underwear got returned to its rightful owner?

We washed our own shirts after that and sent pants to be dry cleaned. We were on the ship for 33 days, so needed to have laundry/dry cleaning service.

I always use the laundry services on the ship - but anything that may shrink goes out for dry cleaning rather than laundering. So far the only shrinkage seems to be around my waistline ;).

Archived