WALKING around Bermuda??

Kikimeister

How safe is it walking around Bermuda? I don't mean like pickpocketers or personal safety....

If, say, our cruise ship is docked at Kings Wharf... and we wanted to spent our final day around the Dockyard...would it be possible (and safe) to walk to a nearby beach outside of the Dockyard? Are there side roads that we could walk on or sidewalks?

(We were only going to get a 2-day bus pass, so I want to see if walking to other areas outside of Dockyard is an option or stupid crazy.)

It's a bit dicey walking on the roads because they are narrow with no shoulders and sometimes it hard to find somewhere to step back when a bus goes by. A few times I felt like the buttons were going to be ripped off my shirt by a bus.

There are directions using some side roads to walk to the sea glass beach and the new Black Bay beach is close by. If ytou use the search function and try sea glass beach, you should find the direstions. Found them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441854&highlight=sea+glass+beach

It's a bit dicey walking on the roads because they are narrow with no shoulders and sometimes it hard to find somewhere to step back when a bus goes by. A few times I felt like the buttons were going to be ripped off my shirt by a bus.

Eek! Good to know!

There are directions using some side roads to walk to the sea glass beach and the new Black Bay beach is close by. If ytou use the search function and try sea glass beach, you should find the direstions. Found them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441854&highlight=sea+glass+beach

Thanks for the link and the help!

I was there three weeks ago, and on my final day (of the three days we were docked on the Breakaway), I walked away from the Dockyard on the "main road" (not sure about its name). I walked about an hour on the road (yes, some of it was narrow...be careful), but it was a beautiful walk, lots to see along the way, stopped at one of the beaches, talked to some fishermen, warmish weather with cool ocean breezes, etc. I walked on that road as far as the "white police station" where there is an entrance to part of the old railway trail (go right behind the station a couple blocks...there are a couple signs that help to point the direction). I then went onto the trail, walked for another fifteen minutes (discovered a beautiful wilderness area trail while there). I then backtracked to the main road, stood in front of that white police station, waited for one of the public busses which took me back to the Dockyard (my legs were tired at that point!). This would not be everyone's idea of a good time, but I'm a "walker" and, for me, this was a GREAT way to explore this area of the island on the last day!

My DD and I walked the Railway Trail two years ago. We started at Somerset Bridge and walked to Fort Saur. It was a beautiful walk. Great scernery, safe, no buses or traffic racing by. We then went down onto the road and grab a bus back to the dockyard. Take drinking water with you. Getting onto it from the other end sounds really nice. I know we enjoyed ourselves.

Thanks everyone so much!! Sounds like there is a bit of room for "exploring" just outside of the Dockyard area.

Question - What is the cost for the bus back to Dockyard? Do they accept US dollars?

Thanks everyone so much!! Sounds like there is a bit of room for "exploring" just outside of the Dockyard area.

Question - What is the cost for the bus back to Dockyard? Do they accept US dollars?

Bus fares can paid with tokens, transportation pass, ticket and cash, exact change only, no dollar bills.

The cash fare would be $3.00.

SBtS

Archived