Labadee Question -- First timer

Ok, I've never been there and I hear all kinds of things, so I thought that I'd come here for the real "dirt"!

Can you explain what a stop at Labadee is? Is everyone on the ship entitled to go? Is there a fee? What is the procedure? Do we need to sign up? Are there excursions? How is the place set up? Do I rent a car? Is there shopping? Is everything "for rent" on the beach?

Any information that you can provide would be great!

Its RCL's private island. they take care of part of it. Everyone is entitled to go. there is no fee. no need to sign up. there are a few excursions, but you have to go to their website to book them. they have wave runners, kayaks, banana boats, snorkeling off the beach is free, you can rent a floating beach mat. You cant rent a car. There is shopping, but its more of like a little village then actual stores. there are natives to the island selling their work. you can use your seapass card for mixed drinks, as the waiters will be there to take orders. beach loungers are free. its a great stop. dont miss it.

Ok, I've never been there and I hear all kinds of things, so I thought that I'd come here for the real "dirt"!

Can you explain what a stop at Labadee is? Is everyone on the ship entitled to go? Is there a fee? What is the procedure? Do we need to sign up? Are there excursions? How is the place set up? Do I rent a car? Is there shopping? Is everything "for rent" on the beach?

Any information that you can provide would be great!

Labadee is a beach day at one of RCI's private islands (it's not really an island, it's a peninsula). There is no fee or sign up to go there. Everyone that wants to go can. You tender in to Labadee. There are several beach areas, a water park for kids, a small native crafts market. As to excursions, there is snorkeling, kayaking, waverunners, parasailing, banana boats. You can either book the excursions ahead of time through RCI, or just sign up for them once you get to Labadee (although some of them do fill up). There are floating mats available for rent. Lounge chairs are provided. A free BBQ is provided. Everything on the island goes on your seapass card, except for the native crafts market for which you'll need cash.

One mistake we made was not taking cash to the island. The crafts market is great and we brought home some wonderful island crafts. But, you will need cash. Obviously, dollars are very welcome!

I can't wait to stop at Labadee. In addition to the boards I have heard so much about it. It sounds great BBQ and all.

Cruiser-T,

I love the countdown clock. How do you get one like that?

We LOVE Labadee! Hate to book a Caribbean itinerary that doesn't stop there. It's often the best day of the cruise for us!!!

Well said. Things to enjoy on Labadee- Labadoozies, crafts market, hammocks, ocean, beaches (there are several), FOOD, waverunners, music, beach loungers and sunset as you leave! Makes me want to go back...........

If you like to relax and get tan, pray for sun--and get a floating mat! That is my favorite part of Labadee...

Make sure to bring singles $$, the locals will be there to get you a good chair in the sun if that is what you desire...just give them a few bucks.

Yes the market is great, if you can stand the constant "come into my shop, you will want to buy" blah blah blah, and people really close up in your face. It is quite intimidating the first time I must say. I remember the first time, one lady grabbed my arm. I wasn't sure how to react. I walked through and I bought some shirts from the only lady who didn't hound me, I got the price I wanted, and no hassle. The next two times we sailed there, I walked on by. If it has changed in the last 2 years, correct me :o

If you like to relax and get tan, pray for sun--and get a floating mat! That is my favorite part of Labadee...

Make sure to bring singles $$, the locals will be there to get you a good chair in the sun if that is what you desire...just give them a few bucks.

Yes the market is great, if you can stand the constant "come into my shop, you will want to buy" blah blah blah, and people really close up in your face. It is quite intimidating the first time I must say. I remember the first time, one lady grabbed my arm. I wasn't sure how to react. I walked through and I bought some shirts from the only lady who didn't hound me, I got the price I wanted, and no hassle. The next two times we sailed there, I walked on by. If it has changed in the last 2 years, correct me :o

I, too, don't like it when touched. I will never buy at such a place. As for the other stuff, "come into my shop, etc," it's part of the fun of being in another culture. One thing to remember is that these people are poor by our standards, so we can get a great bargain as well as support the local economy

We have been to Labadee several times and it is always the best day of the cruise! One year when we stopped at Labadee, the ships Photographers came out into the water, as we were floating on our mats and had there bathing suits on with Tuxedo shirts and an empty Champagne bottle and two glasses. Great pictures-- floating on the mat holding your champagne glass as the "WAITER/PHOTOGRAPHER" is pouring your Champagne(Ocean Water) cocktail! It is absolutely beautiful here Plenty of room for lounge chairs in the sun or shade. Don't miss this stop--- It's free and it's fun

Archived