Bob Dickinson's back?

I haven't seen this mentioned, so I may be the only one who misses when the specialty dining was a "supper club." I liked the atmosphere of having music and even though we didn't dance, it was nice to watch others do so.

I even recall reading a thread on the HAL section where people were saying what a nice idea it was and they would welcome something like that on HAL.

No other cruise line had this.

I guess every other cruise line in the world is wrong, and Carnival is right. Just more cost cutting. Based on Carnival's current performance, I would not put too much faith in their "market research". No doubt Dickinson will also try to mend Carnival's relationship with the travel agent community, which is severely strained at the moment. Most agents don't even want to sell Carnival anymore. Dickinson was loved by the agent community when he ran CCL so I can see this as one of his objectives.

That's not entirely true. When we first started cruising back in 2003, several TA's told us they would not recommend Carnival. We choose NCL for our first cruise because of a TA's suggestion and had a bad experience. When we wanted to try cruising again a TA recommended Royal Caribbean, but I liked the itinerary of the Carnival Glory and it was only an hour away so we gave Carnival a try. We sure were glad we did. The Glory was well run at the time and Carnival had not started their cutbacks. We enjoyed the Carnival Cruise Line that was headed by Bob Dickinson and didn't notice any cutbacks until he stepped down as CEO.

Politics as usual.

"Dickinson did not stand for re-election, with Carnival citing the preference of many shareholder groups for a high percentage of independent directors and the fact that former company executives are typically not considered ‘independent’ directors in the UK."

As a consultant he doesn't have to be independent and will make a lot more money. Best of all, he won't be accountable.

So, you see this as a bad thing?

:confused:

All of the cut backs and bad publicity has happened after he left. How can having him as a more vocal and active consultant be a bad thing?

It can not really get worse. shouldn't we wait and see if he has any impact before we assume we know that it is business as usual?

I give them credit for actually doing something instead of the usual nothing.

:)

That's not entirely true. When we first started cruising back in 2003, several TA's told us they would not recommend Carnival.

Keep in mind that just because your travel agent didn't recommend Carnival for you, doesn't mean that Carnival didn't enjoy an excellent relationship with the travel agent community. They did, and most of that was thanks to Dickinson who always supported the agent community. Any really good travel agent will recommend the cruise line they feel best suits their client, even if it means giving up a commission override or booking a line they don't have a preferred relationship with. If they are only out for the commission, they are not a very good agent.

There is no doubt that back in the day Carnival had a party reputation and this was difficult for travel agents to sell to anyone that didn't fit that mould. Dickinson also can be credited with helping Carnival shed that reputation to become more of a family oriented line, which is a smart move as families are where the $$ is.

Even today Carnival has the stereotype with many (who haven't sailed the line) as being the line for party animals. For the most part this is hardly true, and the fact is that Carnival is more of a kid friendly line than anything. Frankly it's become a bit too vanilla for me, and I long for the days when it was a bit more racy and not so overrun with kids ... but that is just me. :-)

The way I read the article led me to believe the only reason Carnival is bringing him back is to make peace with the disgruntled TA community.

There are only a few ways he can do this. Tact and diplomacy are the main tools in getting the job done, and I understand he is good at that.

However, that may not mean an open checkbook.

I have heard that a good diplomat can tell someone to go to he!! and make them look forward to the trip !!

I watched a similar scenario take place when Sheehan replaced Veatch at NCL and made some unpopular changes. The furor was almost the same as this with Carnival, but the company turned around and is now better for it. We will see how Cahill fares with this battle, because he has done a lot of good things for Carnival in the financial arena.

The way I read the article led me to believe the only reason Carnival is bringing him back is to make peace with the disgruntled TA community.

There are only a few ways he can do this. Tact and diplomacy are the main tools in getting the job done, and I understand he is good at that.

So Swede you think an open chequebook is the solution to the problems besetting Carnival?

I have heard that a good diplomat can tell someone to go to he!! and make them look forward to the trip !!

I watched a similar scenario take place when Sheehan replaced Veatch at NCL and made some unpopular changes. The furor was almost the same as this with Carnival, but the company turned around and is now better for it. We will see how Cahill fares with this battle, because he has done a lot of good things for Carnival in the financial arena.

Sheehan has been in charge a year less than Cahill

We will see how Cahill fares with this battle, because he has done a lot of good things for Carnival in the financial arena.

Can you please expound on this a bit? Would like to know what things he has done to make Carnival more profitable.

http://www.cruisetalkshow.com/id20.html

You can read about his background and listen to an audio interview with Dickinson as he recounts the history of Carnival (pick up the interview at the 3:45 mark).

Thanks for the link. Great interview..... Interesting point he made about the pinnacle class. Up to now I never heard a definitive answer why it was never built.

I have to laugh at all the posters that keep repeating the cost cutting nonsense. Yes things were cut. The money saved from those cuts, was reinvested in things like:

Fun Ship 2.0

» Alchemy Bar

» BlueIguana Cantina

» BlueIguana Tequila Bar

» DJ IRIE

» EA SPORTS Bar

» Guy's Burger Joint

» Hasbro, The Game Show

» The Library Bar

» Playlist Productions

» The Punchliner Comedy Brunch

» The Punchliner Comedy Club Presented

By George Lopez

Carnival Sunshine $150 million retrofit.

I understand many are upset about the lack of live bands and other changes on Carnival, but just because you're unhappy with the changes does not mean they are cutbacks. The money to retrofit the Sunshine and Fun Ship 2.0 innovations had to come from somewhere. :rolleyes:

I have to laugh at all the posters that keep repeating the cost cutting nonsense. Yes things were cut. The money saved from those cuts, was reinvested in things like:

Fun Ship 2.0

» Alchemy Bar

» BlueIguana Cantina

» BlueIguana Tequila Bar

» DJ IRIE

» EA SPORTS Bar

» Guy's Burger Joint

» Hasbro, The Game Show

» The Library Bar

» Playlist Productions

By George Lopez

I understand many are upset about the lack of live bands and other changes on Carnival, but just because you're unhappy with the changes does not mean they are cutbacks. The money to retrofit the Sunshine and Fun Ship 2.0 innovations had to come from somewhere. :rolleyes:

You may consider the cutbacks "nonsense", but most of us that have loved Carnival do not. There is a list equally as long as yours, if not longer, of all the things that have been cut over the past few years. Some of the 2.0 enhancements have been great, but I don't feel they necessarily compensate for everything else that has been cut. I don't book cruises for a good hamburger. I can get that and more at home.

As for refits, these are necessary to remain competitive. They are a business decision necessary for survival, as Carnival's competitors become more and more innovative. With each passing year Carnival becomes less and less competitive with an aging fleet especially when you consider how many Fantasy Class ships there are. These are outdated with hardly any balconies and there is very little that can be done with them. With this in mind, Carnival these days seems to sell itself on price and little else. Drop the prices low enough and they will come.

You may consider the cutbacks "nonsense", but most of us that have loved Carnival do not. There is a list equally as long as yours, if not longer, of all the things that have been cut over the past few years. Some of the 2.0 enhancements have been great, but I don't feel they necessarily compensate for everything else that has been cut. I don't book cruises for a good hamburger. I can get that and more at home.

Most that loved Carnival do not? LOL How are you quantifying "most"?

I am a Platinum cruiser and for the most part I welcome the changes. I couldn't give a rats butt about live entertainment. If I wanted to listen to some failed musician play cover songs, I'd drive down to the local watering hole. Many more feel the same way I do. I get it you're bitter about the changes, but there are just as many people that like the changes.

As for refits, these are necessary to remain competitive. They are a business decision necessary for survival, as Carnival's competitors become more and more innovative. With each passing year Carnival becomes less and less competitive with an aging fleet especially when you consider how many Fantasy Class ships there are. These are outdated with hardly any balconies and there is very little that can be done with them. With this in mind, Carnival these days seems to sell itself on price and little else. Drop the prices low enough and they will come.

Those decisions are necessary to survive, but my point is the money has to come from somewhere especially when tickets prices are so low. Costs have gone up every year yet ticket revenues keep going down. When revenue is down, you need to find places you can cut so you can reinvest in other areas.

Tickets revenues have been low since the economic crash in 2008. Rates were beginning to increase again in January 2012 and then the Concordia and Allure fire impacted their ability to raise rates. The recent events have depressed them even further.

Don't expect these ships to go anywhere soon, since they're paid for. I expect them to stay in the fleet almost as long as Northwest Airlines flew their DC-9s (an exaggeration, but you get the point).

The aging fleet (ie: paid for fleet) should allow Carnival to make modifications/updates as necessary and continue to be profitable, since their customer is booking based primarily on price these days.

New ships offer the ability to enhance onboard revenue spending. By making revenue modifications with more opportunities to spend money, like the Destiny/Sunshine refit accomplished, the need for brand new ships is lessened, especially if Carnival presents refitted ships as NEW like they did with the Sunshine.

Fun Ship 2.0

» Alchemy Bar

» BlueIguana Cantina

» BlueIguana Tequila Bar

» DJ IRIE

» EA SPORTS Bar

» Guy's Burger Joint

» Hasbro, The Game Show

» The Library Bar

» Playlist Productions

By George Lopez

oh come now. someone fell for bars replacing bars, burgers replacing burgers, comedy replacing comedy, the game show replcing the jeopary type game show, and the broadway production show replaced by the playlist production?

oh come now. someone fell for bars replacing bars, burgers replacing burgers, comedy replacing comedy, the game show replcing the jeopary type game show, and the broadway production show replaced by the playlist production?

Yup I fell for it. All the Fun Ship 2.0 additions to their ships don't cost anything. They just sprinkle some fairy dust and vala!

Burgers may have replaced burgers, but Guy Fiere is a pretty well know celebrity chef. And George Lopez he's a pretty famous actor/comedian in case you didn't know. Getting those brands to sign on isn't cheap.:rolleyes:

Don't expect these ships to go anywhere soon, since they're paid for. I expect them to stay in the fleet almost as long as Northwest Airlines flew their DC-9s (an exaggeration, but you get the point).

Believe me I don't, in part because there is nowhere for them to go. Carnival couldn't get rid of them even if they wanted to. These days even the secondary markets (Asia, Australia, South America, etc) expect better hardware than the Fantasy Class. Even with modifications which are limited due to their design, they are still painfully outdated. You can only snap on so many balconies to these ships due to the lifeboat design, and Carnival has figured out that hasn't even paid off, which is why they stopped retrofitting after a couple ships.

Yup I fell for it. All the Fun Ship 2.0 additions to their ships don't cost anything. They just sprinkle some fairy dust and vala!

Burgers may have replaced burgers, but Guy Fiere is a pretty well know celebrity chef. And George Gonzalez he's a pretty famous actor/comedian in case you didn't know. Getting those brands to sign on isn't cheap.:rolleyes:

ever wonder where guy gets his cows from? i don't think they went to culinary school either.

and george lopez? there a reason people boycott him. and not exactly a or b list. happy cole might be one notch up.

i prefer carnival when they were 10.0. there was only one more step down before they had to tap into uncle bob.

Most that loved Carnival do not? LOL How are you quantifying "most"?

I am a Platinum cruiser and for the most part I welcome the changes. I couldn't give a rats butt about live entertainment. If I wanted to listen to some failed musician play cover songs, I'd drive down to the local watering hole. Many more feel the same way I do. I get it you're bitter about the changes, but there are just as many people that like the changes.

Those decisions are necessary to survive, but my point is the money has to come from somewhere especially when tickets prices are so low. Costs have gone up every year yet ticket revenues keep going down. When revenue is down, you need to find places you can cut so you can reinvest in other areas.

Tickets revenues have been low since the economic crash in 2008. Rates were beginning to increase again in January 2012 and then the Concordia and Allure fire impacted their ability to raise rates. The recent events have depressed them even further.

Read what I wrote. "Most that loved Carnival do not". That indicates the past tense. If we used to love Carnival and no longer do, that would likely constitute that "most" are not happy with the changes. Get it?

Revenues are down at Carnival no doubt, and to a much smaller extent at NCL and Royal Caribbean which have been able to raise yields. Obviously they are doing something right. Unfortunately Carnival has tarnished the entire industry but none more than themselves.

As someone else posted, these 2.0 enhancements are mostly a smokescreen for cutbacks. If you can't see that you're blind. As I mentioned before a good burger is not a reason to book a cruise. I can get that at home. You say you don't care about live entertainment. Good for you. Then turn on the radio. I do like live entertainment as it's not something I have playing in my house. I love listening to a good band out on deck or in a lounge. It's not something I have everyday and it sure beats listening to hip-hop blaring in the atrium or by the pool all day. I can blast my stereo at home.

ever wonder where guy gets his cows from? i don't think they went to culinary school either.

and george lopez? there a reason people boycott him. and not exactly a or b list. happy cole might be one notch up.

i prefer carnival when they were 10.0. there was only one more step down before they had to tap into uncle bob.

Yes I get. You and many others preferred the old Carnival. What you and many others don't get is that there are just as many that prefer the new Carnival. I mean for the love of Pete you have people still crying about brochures. It is 2013....the internet has changed things. Brochures are a thing of the past like dinosuars. Deal with it or find another cruise line. :D

Yes I get. You and many others preferred the old Carnival. What you and many others don't get is that there are just as many that prefer the new Carnival. I mean for the love of Pete you have people still crying about brochures. It is 2013....the internet has changed things. Brochures are a thing of the past like dinosuars. Deal with it or find another cruise line. :D

I do cruise other lines, in fact all of them. I think it's foolish to sail on just one line. How incredibly boring. Yes things change and I get that. In fact all the cruise lines have changed to some extent, mostly for the better. The exception seems to be Carnival which in its case, change = cutbacks. I don't think change is the issue, it's the type of changes that Carnival has implemented. I can live without brochures, but EVERY other cruise line still produces them. I'm sorry but obviously there is still a need and they offer some value and return on investment. Every other cruise line can't be wrong and Carnival right, and the numbers seem to support this. There are some changes that have been great, like the new decor on the BREEZE. Bravo! It's basic but attractive, and probably even cheaper than the old Farcus decor which was very ornate and used a lot of marble. So maybe that is a cutback too!? LOL

The bottom line is that the customer will decide what changes will stay and which will go, but obviously there *is* a problem or Carnival would not be bringing in old management as a consultant. This tells me there are probably plenty of other people that feel the same way I do. Consumers and the travel industry alike have lost confidence in Carnival. Dickinson was brought in to help correct that, and we will see if it works, and what changes will be in store for CCL.

Archived