Grandeur vs Explorer

We've booked GOS next January, but work commitments may mandate a change. Now thinking maybe we'll do Explorer instead later in the spring. Itinerary is better and, having sailed only Freedom in the past, think I'd miss not having a promenade on Grandeur. We're in northern VA, so both ports within driving distance ( though Baltimore would be a LOT easier!). Would love to hear from those who've sailed both these ships for pros and cons. Thanks in advance!

We live about 3 hours from Baltimore [south] so that is a much better trip for us. We have been on Grandeur twice.

However, last October we took a cruise to Bermuda aboard Explorer. The cruises to Bermuda are 3 full days in port. So, we felt it was worth the trip. Explorer has many more amenities. We love the ice show and the Promenade. There are so many things to do.

One advantage for the Grandeur is the indoor pool. It was an unfortunate surprise to see that the "solarium" on Explorer was outdoor. :eek:

It has been a long tme since we sailed GOS but did EOS in March.

First..embarkation port... I would give a slight edge to Balt for embarkation...no shuttle bus. But, you do have to cruise the Chesapeake Bay. This appeals to some but not to all. Originally from Md., the Bay was a thrill for us...seeing land on both sides of the ship...seeing all of the port/starboard buoy markers...definitely a different start/finish to a cruise. EOS..the shuttle bus is a very minor thing that takes a minute. Under a bridge and away you go!

Ships...obviously...the EOS has more to offer than the GOS. There is the ice rink and promenade. But, The GOS is a beautiful ship with lots to offer without all those bells and whistles. GOS has an enclosed Solarium but in the winter months kids are allowed in during certain hours. Not all parents notice the hour limitations. EOS...it could be a little chilly the first day at sea...and the solarium is not covered. We cruised in March and were in the solarium with long jeans. 2nd day was nice.

Crew was great on both ships!

Personally, I do not think you could go wrong with either choice.

Been on both ships. They each have their pros and cons :)

ExOS - the outer decks/pool area will remain unused for longer because it takes a bit longer to get far enough south to warm up. We did a 10 nighter from NJ in early December and it was the second full sea day before it was warm enough to be outside in shorts (and stay there for a period of time). Same thing on return - last day or two is markedly cooler be prepared clothing wise;).

Having more to do is a plus and I love the Cafe Promenade (thought the Park Cafe recently added to GOS might be an equalizer there). Only two specialty restaurants (Portofino and Johnny Rockets) vs Chops, Giovannis and Izumi on GOS.

The ice show is very cool and on longer trips there are actually two different shows - very neat!

GOS - she's an older ship, but to me she's more old school - teak decks and just a bit more refined, if you know what I mean:D.

The covered solarium should be a plus during winter sailings (have only been on her in fall - going 1/3/14 so I'll have first hand knowledge after that;)).

The sail down Chesapeake Bay is incredible and the parking/cruise area is much more accessible than NJ. Parking is $20/day in NJ and $15/day in B'more.

HTH:)

While the focus in comparisons is generally on the features and amenities between two different classes of ships, I base my preference on the number of passengers. When I cruised a voyager class ship, I didn't run into the same people as often as I did when on the smaller ships. My DD and I both prefer either the vision or radiance class because we end up connecting with more people repeatedly throughout the cruise -- both the passengers and the CDs staff.

While the focus in comparisons is generally on the features and amenities between two different classes of ships, I base my preference on the number of passengers. When I cruised a voyager class ship, I didn't run into the same people as often as I did when on the smaller ships. My DD and I both prefer either the vision or radiance class because we end up connecting with more people repeatedly throughout the cruise -- both the passengers and the CDs staff.

I couldn't have set it better myself! To me SMALLER is better, not bigger. The favorite RCCL ship I sailed on was Empress of the Seas, "the small ship with the big heart," as they used to say onboard.

Yes, the bigger ships have there pluses, but I'll take a smaller older ship any day!

We love the Explorer and her crew. Have sailed Vision, Rhapsody. Enchantment and Grandeur the week before the fire! Since RCCL has been doing the upgrades on the older ships we have enjoyed them much more. We really enjoyed the Centrum on Grandeur last month, great bands and music, comfy chairs and fun people watching. New entertainment and the new airial show!!! Also love that Grandeur just had that beautiful teak wood throughout and that "classic ship" feel. Baltimore is very easy to get to and NJ is a little farther for us but easy boarding at both. I would sail on the ship that had ports that interested us and had the right price!

We are planning to take our 4 y/o son on the Grandeur this fall. I figured with AO and pool, he would be happy - but with all the talk about the extra features on Explorer I am now wondering if we should switch before final payment...

We are planning to take our 4 y/o son on the Grandeur this fall. I figured with AO and pool, he would be happy - but with all the talk about the extra features on Explorer I am now wondering if we should switch before final payment...

Most of the extra features on ExOS won't really be usable by your 4 yo:(, unless he ice skates- there will be an open skate periodically through the voyage. AO is pretty much the same from ship to ship. I wouldn't change for that reason alone.

Which is closer/easier for you? Which itinerary excites you most? Those are the factors I would use;).

A 4 yo will be excited no matter what and won't know what's not on the boat:D

Most of the extra features on ExOS won't really be usable by your 4 yo:(, unless he ice skates- there will be an open skate periodically through the voyage. AO is pretty much the same from ship to ship. I wouldn't change for that reason alone.

Which is closer/easier for you? Which itinerary excites you most? Those are the factors I would use;).

A 4 yo will be excited no matter what and won't know what's not on the boat:D

That was our original thoughts when we picked Grandeur - that most of the "activities", except maybe the H2O zone would even be able to use, and unfortunately, he is at that age where he does not always understand what age limitations are.

In terms of itineraries, it is 6 night Bermuda vs 7 night Bermuda, so no differernce (one more day in Bermuda). We did not want anything too port intensive, as he could care less - give him a beach and he is happy camper.

Baltimore is much more convenient, which is why we picked it originally. But, I could do NJ in a pinch. And was thinking that we could move up to Explorer for second cruise if he does well on this one - this would give him some new surprises to look forward to...

Granduer has a covered solarium and it will be cold outside. So granduer. Fly to Florida, Oasis and Allure are much better.

Yes. I have seen those comments. I had no idea that the pools would not be heated, so this is a huge plus.

At his age, I think that Oasis and Allure may be too overwelming to him. We tried WDW last year in early Dec - about as off-season as you can get, and there were way too many people for him. Also, most of the stuff on those bigger ships are geared towards older kids and would not appeal to him. I was thinking of trying Radiance or Explorer or Indy next year, depending on where we want to go, when we can go, and how much I can afford. Maybe Oasis, Allure, or Quantum when is more like 6-7.

That was our original thoughts when we picked Grandeur - that most of the "activities", except maybe the H2O zone would even be able to use, and unfortunately, he is at that age where he does not always understand what age limitations are.

In terms of itineraries, it is 6 night Bermuda vs 7 night Bermuda, so no differernce (one more day in Bermuda). We did not want anything too port intensive, as he could care less - give him a beach and he is happy camper.

Baltimore is much more convenient, which is why we picked it originally. But, I could do NJ in a pinch. And was thinking that we could move up to Explorer for second cruise if he does well on this one - this would give him some new surprises to look forward to...

Bermuda is one port that the longer you stay, the better. There is so much to do and see there. It is a beautiful place. We ran out of time on our 7 night trip there last year. So much to see and do and so little time....

I have found that when the Grandeur and Explorer are running similar itineraries and cruise lengths, the Explorer costs less for a given cabin class. When I was looking for the 7 night Bermuda cruise in October, the Explorer was cheaper by nearly a thousand dollars for our Junior Suite.

• 1 month later...

We are planning to cruise to Bermuda on October and I thought it would be an easy decision, then I got to thinking about Halloween and thought it would be fun to celebrate it on ship. :D So in that case we would have to drive up to NJ as opposed to the closer more economical Baltimore but on Nov. 1st. ;)

Has anyone been on board a Royal ship during Halloween, is it worth the switch? We will be traveling with our two young teens and one pre-teen and we always have fun at home during Halloween.

The Explorer is larger, but in this case more expensive (by $400) since we will be using 2 cabins while the Grandeur is closer but not during the time I would prefer to cruise.

Btw, hubby and I have both been to Bermuda before but never by ship. Love the island!

Thanks

We are planning to cruise to Bermuda on October and I thought it would be an easy decision, then I got to thinking about Halloween and thought it would be fun to celebrate it on ship. :D So in that case we would have to drive up to NJ as opposed to the closer more economical Baltimore but on Nov. 1st. ;)

Has anyone been on board a Royal ship during Halloween, is it worth the switch? We will be traveling with our two young teens and one pre-teen and we always have fun at home during Halloween.

The Explorer is larger, but in this case more expensive (by $400) since we will be using 2 cabins while the Grandeur is closer but not during the time I would prefer to cruise.

Btw, hubby and I have both been to Bermuda before but never by ship. Love the island!

Thanks

You did not say what cabin class you were looking at. On the Grandeur, the Interior rooms are gone and the window rooms are a little cheaper than Explorer. But, on the Explorer, you can get a balcony room for the same price as a window room. Balconies are MUCH nicer than inside. Also, the Halloween party on the Grandeur would be on the night before they dock when everyone is busy packing. On the Explorer, the date falls on one of the nights you are docked in Bermuda. IMHO, the Explorer is much better for timing and getting a balcony.

Explorer Halloween cruise prices...

Grandeur Halloween cruise prices...

Here is a link to the meet & mingle thread for the Explorer Halloween cruise. On page 2 or 3 (March 11th post) I posted some photos of the Halloween festivities from last years cruise on the Explorer.

Thank you so much! This is a last minute vacation for us so we didn't plan on going until yesterday really so affordability is important. Ideally, a balcony would be great. Can't wait to see the pics you posted. Thanks again for your help. :)

You did not say what cabin class you were looking at. On the Grandeur, the Interior rooms are gone and the window rooms are a little cheaper than Explorer. But, on the Explorer, you can get a balcony room for the same price as a window room. Balconies are MUCH nicer than inside. Also, the Halloween party on the Grandeur would be on the night before they dock when everyone is busy packing. On the Explorer, the date falls on one of the nights you are docked in Bermuda. IMHO, the Explorer is much better for timing and getting a balcony.

Explorer Halloween cruise prices...

Grandeur Halloween cruise prices...

Here is a link to the meet & mingle thread for the Explorer Halloween cruise. On page 2 or 3 (March 11th post) I posted some photos of the Halloween festivities from last years cruise on the Explorer.

Archived