Why's it so hard to cancel a cruise when you don't want to?

erby2283

I have been looking so forward to sailing on the Legend out of Tampa; especially since they are moving her to Australia.

Without going into specifics and boring people, my dog's health is at stake and I need to cancel my cruise so I can pay for his CT Scans, biopsy and possible surgery. I am so bummed and know I need to cancel this cruise but just can't bear to pick up the phone to cancel since I know final payment isn't due until August. I don't know what I expect to change between now and then...maybe I will win the lottery? ;)

Is it supposed to be this hard?

I know how hard this decision is for you when it comes to fur kids!! Why not wait until you have to cancel, you never know. Good luck to you and the furry one!

Thank you for your kind words. He is my baby.

Waiting until final payment is pretty much what I think I am going to do. But after spending $1,500 last week on the CT scan and another $1,900 this Fri for the biopsy, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that I just can't afford a vacation this year.

I'm praying for your dog and for you. I hope the test results end up better than you might be expecting.

We are the same as you - totally in love with our dogs and spend whatever it takes because they're family members. In fact, they are the main reason we purchase the 'cancel for any reason' option with our trip insurance policies.

I agree with the others about your cruise. Mark your calendar for a week before the final payment date and wait until then to cancel it.

I'm praying for your dog and for you. I hope the test results end up better than you might be expecting.

We are the same as you - totally in love with our dogs and spend whatever it takes because they're family members. In fact, they are the main reason we purchase the 'cancel for any reason' option with our trip insurance policies.

I agree with the others about your cruise. Mark your calendar for a week before the final payment date and wait until then to cancel it.

Thank you for your prayers and your kind words. Much appreciated!

That is a chunk of change that you have spent, and you will never regret it regardless of the outcome. I have been there with one of my furry children too. I refer to it as the start of my going broke. But when they look at you with those eyes, and give you complete love and trust, what can you do. My DH was diagnosed again with cancer this year, and while it should be eating into our paychecks, we are still doing the cruises because we dont' really know how much time he has, yes it is skin cancer but it is aggressive, and has gone into the bone, he is scheduled for surgery next week, this will be surgery 6 since Feb, and this is just to rebuild the face, not even treating the cancer. No regrets, that's how we should all live. Good luck with yuor fur child, my prayers are with you.

Im so sorry about your dog! They really do become like our children in so many ways. I would wait until August to cancel, unless you really need deposit to pay for your baby's expenses.

I was in denial too when I had to cancel my cruise. I had received a kidney transplant in January and my trip was already paid off although before final payment. I literally waited until the day before final payment was due before finally making the call. Somehow I was hoping my doctors would say "sure go ahead and cruise with thousands of peoples while you are seriously at risk for rejection and infection". Yeah wasn't gonna happen. Im booked now for September and hoping all will be ok... Fingers crossed and trip insurance purchased just in case :)

That is a chunk of change that you have spent, and you will never regret it regardless of the outcome. I have been there with one of my furry children too. I refer to it as the start of my going broke. But when they look at you with those eyes, and give you complete love and trust, what can you do. My DH was diagnosed again with cancer this year, and while it should be eating into our paychecks, we are still doing the cruises because we dont' really know how much time he has, yes it is skin cancer but it is aggressive, and has gone into the bone, he is scheduled for surgery next week, this will be surgery 6 since Feb, and this is just to rebuild the face, not even treating the cancer. No regrets, that's how we should all live. Good luck with yuor fur child, my prayers are with you.

I think it's awesome that you are still taking the time to enjoy yourselves! Life is too short not to take the time and smell the roses...or enjoy a cruise! I will say a prayer for your husband tonight and I hope his surgery goes well next week. Hopefully he will be on the way to recovery!

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for sharing your story.

Im so sorry about your dog! They really do become like our children in so many ways. I would wait until August to cancel, unless you really need deposit to pay for your baby's expenses.

I was in denial too when I had to cancel my cruise. I had received a kidney transplant in January and my trip was already paid off although before final payment. I literally waited until the day before final payment was due before finally making the call. Somehow I was hoping my doctors would say "sure go ahead and cruise with thousands of peoples while you are seriously at risk for rejection and infection". Yeah wasn't gonna happen. Im booked now for September and hoping all will be ok... Fingers crossed and trip insurance purchased just in case :)

I hope you will be able to enjoy your cruise in September. It will be here before you know it! I know what you mean though....I don't know what I expect to happen between now and final payment that will allow me to be able to afford to go. I have to tell you, I have a lot my empathy for those people who got their cruises cancelled with the Triumph, etc. I mean, I know they weren't out the money but still, you're all excited to go and then...wham.....vacation not happening.

Thanks for dropping a note. Hope you are feeling better now and continued health!

Sorry to read this, on both counts.

You sound like my family our dog is just like one of the kids. We take him everywhere, except on cruises. While we were on our recent cruise he had a stroke. I am thankful he was with our trusted vet at the time. He is now 14 years old and we know that this incident was just the start of his decline.

I hope your dog gets better.

It's really tough. I am supposed to be boarding the Ruby Princess this Sunday in Venice for 12 days with the kids and grand kids. Unfortunately our son's daughter (age 5) got sick and died about 3 weeks ago. My son still wanted to go so they could get away and spend time surrounded by family. Now it is my daughter's son (age 13) who is having medical problems that will prevent him from going; therefore his whole family cannot go. Then son said that f his sister and her family are not going then neither was he and his wife. We formally cancelled on Sunday evening.

DW and I wouldn't consider going on the trip without them since we have been to the Med before and the joy of the trip was seeing them experience the ports. DW and I,however, still needed to get away for our own time of grieving and alone time so we turned around and got the last balcony on the Valor leaving San Juan on 6/23 for the southern Caribbean. It's hard to be really excited, but we are looking forward to a week of doing nothing.

Oh, by the way,thank heaven for travel insurance. We'll get almost all of the $50K back so we can start planning for next year.

Sorry to read this, on both counts.

You sound like my family our dog is just like one of the kids. We take him everywhere, except on cruises. While we were on our recent cruise he had a stroke. I am thankful he was with our trusted vet at the time. He is now 14 years old and we know that this incident was just the start of his decline.

I hope your dog gets better.

Wow - 14? How old was he when he had the stoke?

Tyson is 9 now and is already a two-time cancer survivor so if he would make it to 14, I was be ecstatic!

It's really tough. I am supposed to be boarding the Ruby Princess this Sunday in Venice for 12 days with the kids and grand kids. Unfortunately our son's daughter (age 5) got sick and died about 3 weeks ago. My son still wanted to go so they could get away and spend time surrounded by family. Now it is my daughter's son (age 13) who is having medical problems that will prevent him from going; therefore his whole family cannot go. Then son said that f his sister and her family are not going then neither was he and his wife. We formally cancelled on Sunday evening.

DW and I wouldn't consider going on the trip without them since we have been to the Med before and the joy of the trip was seeing them experience the ports. DW and I,however, still needed to get away for our own time of grieving and alone time so we turned around and got the last balcony on the Valor leaving San Juan on 6/23 for the southern Caribbean. It's hard to be really excited, but we are looking forward to a week of doing nothing.

Oh, by the way,thank heaven for travel insurance. We'll get almost all of the $50K back so we can start planning for next year.

First of all, I am so sorry for the loss of your grandchild. I can't imagine anything worse. I hope your grandson will be okay. My prayers to you and your family. Travel insurance definitely is a life saver! I usually only purchase it closer to sail date to cover medical evacuations...maybe I need to rethink that?!

I hope you have a wonderful time on the Valor. I did that itinerary on the Victory in '11 and is my favorite cruise to date. Thank you for sharing your story with me (us).

Wow - 14? How old was he when he had the stoke?

Tyson is 9 now and is already a two-time cancer survivor so if he would make it to 14, I was be ecstatic!

We believe this was his first stroke at the age of 14. He turns 15 on September 11.

many prayers for each of you and your loved ones. We get all excited about cruising, but life goes on for better or worse for all if us. My heart hurts for you.

our cruise is a celebration. We were blessed that my husband defeated cancer. it could have easily gone the other way.

My cruise or my furry friend? Sometimes we get to have the best of both worlds. Take care of your friend but definitely do not cancel until you have to. You never know what tomorrow will bring and the 'big guy' does have a warped sense of humor. Wait and see what that tomorrow will bring. There may be a chance to cruise again but our furry friends are not with us long enough. Make the choice you need to make but only when you need to make it.

Thank you for your kind words. He is my baby.

Waiting until final payment is pretty much what I think I am going to do. But after spending $1,500 last week on the CT scan and another $1,900 this Fri for the biopsy, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that I just can't afford a vacation this year.

I don't know what kind of surgery your pooch may need but have a look into Helping Hands in Richmond, VA, they perform surgery all day every day and have done surgery on dogs from as far away as Canada. Their prices are much much much lower than what a typical vet would charge and it might be worth it for you to consider a trip up here from NC. http://www.affordablepetsurgery.com/ or search google for Helping Hands Veterinary Surgical & Dental Care. Alco check them out on you tube

I hope your dog gets the care and treatment he/she needs nad has a swift recovery and that you get to go on your cruise.

Sorry for reviving but wanted to give an update for those of you who were kind enough to post and also had a question.

Tyson's biopsy went well. We should have results in 3-5 business days. He was so tired Friday but I attribute that to the anesthesia and his pain meds which also have sedatives in them.

Since money has been my main concern in whether or not to cancel my Nov cruise out of Tampa, I have been researching some other options. As most of you know, Carnival is having some really good deals right now on fall/winter rates with 1/2 off deposits.

One of those is a cruise out of NYC on the Splendor the same day I am booked on the Legend out of Tampa and I was hoping some of you would lend some advice as to whether or not you would change your cruise.

Currently booked on Carnival Legend: Balcony Cabin - 7 days - stops at Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Grand Cayman (I have been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel before but not the other two). I have already booked flights on SW but as you know, those can be changed. I also have to pay for a hotel and rental car since I am flying to Orlando.

However, I am from CT and my dad still lives about an hour outside of NYC which means I could stay with him and catch a ride to NYC and not have to pay for hotel and rental car and flights are about $100 cheaper which I could put towards a future flight.

Carnival Splendor: 8 days, Port Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport. I can get a comparable balcony for $200 less than the Legend.

Overall, I would save almost $600 (for two people) on cruise fare and hotels, rental car, gas, etc. I haven't sailed either ship so I don't know which is preferred. I would miss starting out a cruise in warm weather and ports but hey, beggars can't be choosers. I have sailed out of NYC before but not Tampa.

Any advice is welcome and thanks to all who respond :)

Glad to hear Tyson is hanging in there. Do you mind if I ask what issues he is having?

I personally would stay put with the Legend. Don't like any of the ports for the Splendor and want the warm weather. And like you said, fares have been dropping quickly the last few days. I assume you have already checked on lower fares for the Legend? Even so, fares could still drop between now and when payment is due in August. But only you can decide if you want to save the $600.

Is Tyson's health issue something that will be taken care of by the time you cruise? Because if it is an ongoing issue, you might need to make another painful decision then to stay or go, no matter what cruise you chose. :(

DH and I had booked a trip to Fiji almost a year in advance. In the meantime, our Golden slowly deteriorated. Didn't have trip insurance then to 'cancel for any reason.' I had to make plans with our vet to let him make the final decision if it was needed when we were gone. Luckily, she hung in there until we returned, but I never want to go through that again.

I have two fur babies now, so I understand your dilemma...sending good thoughts to you and pup.

He may have Thyroid cancer. He's already a two-time cancer survivor and is only 9! They found that his thyroid glands were slightly enlarged while performing a CT Scan in which they were checking for something totally different. If it is cancer, it is so incredibly early, that no chemo or radiation would be required just removal of his thyroid glands and he would need to be on regulatory meds like humans are when they have theirs removed.

Like you, I was hesitant about the ports as well b/c I have never really heard good things about Nassau and Freeport but since I wouldn't be able to afford any excursions anyway, maybe this would be the perfect itinerary?! Then I could save the good ports (Belize, Roatan) for another year when I could afford an excursions that I would enjoy.

Thanks for the good thoughts for Tyson. Hopefully, he has been through his share of enough and this is just his "normal".

Archived