Best place to purchase snorkeling gear

queentashyra

A lot depends on how much you want to spend, how much time you have before you go snorkeling and what sort of quality you're looking for.

The mask/snorkel/fins set mentioned at Costco is made by U.S. Divers and is pretty good...although I thought the Body Glove snorkel set that used to be offered at Sam's Club (and for cheaper!) worked better, particularly the dry-top snorkel. It worked so well I picked up another set for my friends to use. The U.S. Divers snorkel didn't work quite as well...but it was better than a non 'dry-top' snorkel.

Sadly Sam's hasn't had that set available for two years now...and believe me I go in and check as soon as the summertime stuff goes on display. :)

More recently I've fallen in love with masks and snorkels made by Promate (I found them on eBay), especially their frameless, low-volume masks and dry-top snorkels. They cost a bit more but have been well worth the extra $5 or $10.

For fins I've bought a pair by a company called H2Odyssey and they've worked great; I let my friends use the old fins from Body Glove.

Enjoy your snorkeling excursion! Even an 'okay' mask/fins/snorkel set is tons better than none at all!

As a certified diver for over 4 decades, I would recommend that you try on a mask before purchasing one. If you inhale and it stays on your face - it is good. Do not rely on price as a cheap mask may have a better seal for your face than one that cost much more!.

Also - recommend that you clean the glass several times before diving with Dawn dish washing liquid, and rinsing it very well.

Enjoy and please don't touch the coral! :)

If you need prescription lenses then go to scuba.com. As a SCBUA diver I have bought a ton of stuff from them and have been very happy. Their service and shipping have been excellent.

Including the lenses, the complete mask (lenses installed) will cost you around a hundred bucks. (Much cheaper than prescription glasses these days.)

Like suggested in an earlier post, order the prescription mask early so you can try it on to make sure it fits well. There's no hassle exchanging anything at scuba.com

(DiversDirect.com is ok too, but they have a smaller selection.)

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

As others have said, any shop that you could go into and try the masks on. Price does not equate a good fit. Also after you have purchased your mask clean the inside with plain white colgate toothpaste, the slight abrasiveness of the toothpaste removes the coating that comes on the mask. If this coating is not removed no amount of anti fog will keep the lenses from fogging.

I, also, would recommend a dive shop. Not so much for the actual purchase, in case you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but for the ability to actually try on many different makes and models. I actually bought my mask at a dive shop because the price was very comparable to a web purchase, but the fins at Sports Academy.

At the snorkeling gear store, duh! :cool: Sorry, couldn't resist :o Costco or SAMs has decent gear. We purchased ours from there, but never used it. Found out that my fear as a kid of water in my face and being eaten by a shark carried over into adulthood.

We bought ours on amazon. $30 for a mask and a dry snorkel with purge valve. They worked nicely for snorkeling on two of our cruises.

After spending 5 hours in them two days in a row during a scuba class both my husband and I realized they were not good masks for us. We both spent time at the dive shop finding new masks. I found one designed specifically for a small face, he found one with a much more comfortable skirt. I honestly am not sure the one I got is going to be my 'forever' mask, but it is certainly an upgrade. Unfortunately, these were like $55 each... If I was just doing a day or two of cruise snorkeling, I don't think I would have bought them.

funny thing. While I have always recommended go to your local dive shop so you can get a good fit butas an 'experienced diver' I figured better prices would be found on line at leisure pro or divers direct and even drove a bit to visit a divers direct {to find that their store price matched the web price and then there was a shipping vs tax price}.

Recently we needed a new BCD, set of regs, and console with computer for the daughter who is presently in Roatan conducting coral surveys and water purity tests for University of Alabama sponsored by CocoView Resort. We'd picked out a target package and got our best on line price. I was about to pull the trigger when the spousal unit says, "did you check the local dive store?"

So JUST TO HUMOR HER, I did just that .... and we ended up with BETTER GEAR at 15% less cost then what we'd found on line . . . I ate some humble pie and dd has better gear! That locally owned small business WANTS you as a customer. I recently went back to buy an underwater camera and their price was a bit over what I'd seen on a web ad. I told them that and they called up the web price .. and adjusted their price to better. Maybe that's why this family run shop has been around for over 55 years.

Support your local small businesses!

I do have to agree with Capt_BJ about supporting your local business. If you have a good one then they can be priceless... especially for stuff you have to try on. Nothing can be more frustraiting than ordering something you need on line for an upcoming dive trip and then find out that doesn't fit when you get it. In those cases it's worth paying a bit more just to get it right the first time.

Unfortunately, the nearest dive shop to me is over 100 miles away. I'm should move to Key Largo:D

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

Archived