Wheelchair in Bermuda

Okay guys and gals, My DD is a wheelchair user. She can transfer into a car via a slide board but can not stand up.

We have booked a four hour accessible tour but we want to know what other things she may be able to do. Also is there anything we must see?

thanks!

My old research.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1rp7IdpHws_8Ma84zApBzlimVn02smvvc9aO_DZYdP6s

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thank you for this most comprehensive research. Although I am not in a wheelchair I do have knee issues and find it difficult to walk hilly areas and moderate distances. Your sharing of information will enhance my upcoming Bermuda cruise.

I have been to Bermuda using a mobility scooter , though I have found it easier than most other islands there are still some important things to note:

• That the public buses are NOT accessible and do NOT have lifts.
  • Taxies generally do not have lifts. Though most taxis van will accept wheelchairs,the person has to be able to transfer onto a seat and cannot remain seated in the wheelchair.
  • Curb cut-outs are very limited . At times you will have to back track because of communing to an area that does not have curb curb-out
  • Be extremely careful if you choose to use the street instead of the side walks. Car drivers are watching out more for the motorcyclist and may not see the person in the wheelchair. Also many of the motorcyclists are tourists who are driving such a vehicle for the first time .
  • Bermuda has a popular and convenient ferry service. The stop at the City of Hamilton is wheelchair accessible; the stops at the Dockyard and Town of St. George have limited access, while the stops in Paget and Warwick have flights of stairs.
  • Bermuda has no equivalent to the USA ADA law. Therefore restaurants and public areas are NOT required to have wheelchair accessible entrance or a wheelchair restroom. This is done strictly on a volunteer basis by the establishment so there may be issues with locating a wheelchair accessible restroom.
  • some establishments have a step or steps to enter.

We just returned from a cruise on the NCL Breakaway. My husband has some mobility issues - he cannot stand for long periods of time and can't walk long distances. We rented a mobility scooter from Special Needs at Sea for use on the ship. We traveled with a group of 10 and hired a taxi in advance for a 6 hour tour (Winsome Transport - excellent tour). I realized after seeing the scooter, that it would be difficult to lift into the van so I had to rent a wheelchair on the ship for an additional cost.

My husband and I ventured out with the scooter at the Dockyards and found that not every area is accessible. We had to backtrack several times to find curb cuts. If you stay in the central area where the gazebo is, you can cut through and eventually get to the clocktower mall. Everything there is accessible. You also have to be careful when crossing streets there - by the clayworks and glassworks. There is a lot of traffic - cars, buses and scooters go very fast - be careful!!!

We used the wheelchair on the tour - but Hamilton doesn't have a lot of curb cuts and some stores have one or two steps to enter.

I took the ferry to Hamilton, and although it is supposed to be accessible, I had to climb a fairly high step to get on. They must have a ramp, but I couldn't see it.

Perhaps you should contact the special needs desk from your cruiseline for advice and information.

Good luck and enjoy.

Archived