Insurance question/help

tcowgs21

Me, my mom and 2 sons are going on the pride in dec. My mom has bought insurance and the rest have not. There are 4 in our cabin. If for some reason my mom can not go, knee being replaced, her insurance would reimburse her, but would the rest of us still be able to go. Would our rate go up, would we have to change cabins. If she does cancel it wont be till pretty well last minute, but i dont want to tell the boys they are going on vacation then find out we cant.

Don't tell the cruise line and have her be a no-show....

This is totally wrong advice. Her Trip Insurance that she paid for will not reimburse her unless she actually cancels. She will not be able to file a claim for a no-show.

This is totally wrong advice. Her Trip Insurance that she paid for will not reimburse her unless she actually cancels. She will not be able to file a claim for a no-show.

Not sure that's true.

I do believe that she will have to contact them - but if she is a no show and then contacts the insurance company just after the ship sails stating she did not make it they will still open and pay the claim.

There have been several threads here recently illustrating that last minute cancellations have adversely effected those still sailing. The only way to ensure that does not happen - would be to let Mom be a no-show and then file the claim one the ship has sailed.

But what would happen to the other 3 when/ if she cancels

If the cancellation occurs less than 2 weeks before sailing (100% penalty) nothing will happen to the other 3 pax as Carnival is 100% paid for the cabin. If the sail date is early December, there will be no occupancy restrictions and they will keep their current cabin.

Not sure that's true.

I do believe that she will have to contact them - but if she is a no show and then contacts the insurance company just after the ship sails stating she did not make it they will still open and pay the claim.

Most insurance claims need to be documented with the cruise line or travel agent and reported in a timely and reasonable manner. It will state so in the insurance documents. Filing a cruise cancellation claim for a scheduled medical/surgical issue after her knee replacement and after the ship has sailed may appear suspicious and put the claim in jeopardy.

Most insurance claims need to be documented with the cruise line or travel agent and reported in a timely and reasonable manner. It will state so in the insurance documents. Filing a cruise cancellation claim for a scheduled medical/surgical issue after her knee replacement and after the ship has sailed may appear suspicious and put the claim in jeopardy.

I didn't get the impression that was the plan. Sounds to me like Mom is still trying to go. But if she is unable to go it would be a last minute decision. Nothing suspicious about a last minute cancellation or no show - IF she is not well enough to travel and has documention to support her claim.

Me, my mom and 2 sons are going on the pride in dec. My mom has bought insurance and the rest have not. There are 4 in our cabin. If for some reason my mom can not go, knee being replaced, her insurance would reimburse her, but would the rest of us still be able to go. Would our rate go up, would we have to change cabins. If she does cancel it wont be till pretty well last minute, but i dont want to tell the boys they are going on vacation then find out we cant.

Unless your mom has a cancel for any reason policy, she needs to have a doctor sign off that she is not medically able to go on the cruise to be reimbursed for cancellation. It's probably not enoug if her knee is bothering her and she doesn't feel up to a cruise. Most knee replacements aren't done on an emergency basis, so even if she decides to have her knee replaced, that might not be enough to cancel under the medical terms. She needs to read her policy carefully.

I don't know if this is still true, but if someone has to cancel and others are linked to the reservation, the travel insurance might cover their penalties if they would chose not to go.

Did anyone else have experience with that?

I don't know if this is still true, but if someone has to cancel and others are linked to the reservation, the travel insurance might cover their penalties if they would chose not to go.

Not true at all. The insurance covers losses incurred by the insured person.

Not sure that's true.

There have been several threads here recently illustrating that last minute cancellations have adversely effected those still sailing. The only way to ensure that does not happen - would be to let Mom be a no-show and then file the claim one the ship has sailed.

Here is one...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1825151&highlight=never+cancel

Nothing suspicious about a last minute cancellation or no show - IF she is not well enough to travel and has documention to support her claim.

Last post on this topic for me. To make a reimbursement claim for a known medical reason the guest must call and actually cancel. A no show will result in a no insurance payout and only a 75% Future Cruise credit if it's the Carnival Berkley Care policy.

Last post on this topic for me. To make a reimbursement claim for a known medical reason the guest must call and actually cancel. A no show will result in a no insurance payout and only a 75% Future Cruise credit if it's the Carnival Berkley Care policy.

I agree with this 100% do not go as a no show. The person will need to cancel in order to collect on the insurance.

also - it took about 3-4 weeks before my mom got her money back minus the insurance fees

I recently had the same question and called Carnival twice both times receiving different answers. So I called Berkley insurance. I specifically asked what happens to my friend if she cancels last minute, and what happens to me as I will then be a single in the cabin. Here is what I was told...Do not no show as you will forfeit your claim as ADguymg stated. If last minute cancellation, call Carnival to report this, then file necessary papers with Berkley Insurance. If covered for medical you will receive 75% of the cost of your cruise. If "any reason" is your claim you will receive a future cruise credit for 75% of cruise. The remaining person/people will not be affected because Carnival has already received payment for the cabin. I even asked if it changed port fees and taxes and was told that it does not. Here is a link to the policy

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/Vacation-Protection-201205pdf.ashx

Who did your mom buy the insurance from? Carnival or 3rd party?

Thanks for all the responses. Mom has her insurance thru 3rd party and it has cancel any reason so that is fine, she really isnt even worried about the money, its more of what would happen to the rest of the party cause we would still want to go. I just dont want to find out last minute if she cancels that none of us can go.

Archived