Disney Dream vs Enchantment of the Seas

live.love.cruise

Hi family cruisers,

I have a cruise dilemma and would like your advice. I currently have a 3 night cruise booked on the Enchantment for Labor Day weekend. A couple of days ago, I saw a special on the 3 night Disney Dream for the same weekend. I put the cruise on hold (expires tomorrow) and need to pick one. I’m cruising with my elementary aged daughter who will be back to school at the time of the cruise. This would be cruise #10 for me and #5 for her. We cruised with Disney on the Wonder 4 years ago. My experience was mixed (loved the ship, bad kid’s club experience and food was just okay). I read the recent Dream reviews and it seems to still be a “mixed” experience. Despite this, I really want to sail the Dream and see for myself. So, why am I confused? Well, I’m not sure if I should spend the extra $$$ for the Dream.

I know in the end the decision is mine to make....but I was hoping to get some feedback. Thanks everyone!

If price is not an issue it would be Disney Dream hands down.

Enchantment is a cute little ship, but Disney is so much more geared towards kids. When we went on enchantment it was a much older age group, though probably a lot due to the time of year we went.

RCCL has great kid stuff, but I wouldn't put the Enchantment class of ships in that mix.

We just did the Dream in april and had a blast. We were so busy DS only spent 2 hours in the kids club the whole time so the kids club doesn't make or break it for us. I also think Castaway Cay is much nicer, especially for kids than RCCL's island.

We sailed the Dream last fall. I really liked it, I just don't think it's worth the premium to sail Disney consistently. I prefer newer ships though, EOS is a little dated for me. So, if the cost wasn't tooo much I'd probably choose the Dream. I have a link to my Dream review in my signature. I reviewed the kid's club and have an elementary aged daughter also.

You stated that you have already tried Disney and that there was a lot that you didn't like and your child didn't like the kid's club...I would go with the Enchantment. Why pay a premium to retry a cruise line that just was not a hit with you or your child?

If you are ok with crowds and it is just a 3 nighter, I would go with the Disney Dream - the ship is downright amazing. Here is a list of what my kids loved:

1) Aquaduck - nothing else like it at sea - fun, but not too scary for the kids

2) Midship Detective Agency - Interactive experience that my son and I had such a great time with, and had a replayability factor.

3) The evening shows - By far the best shows for kids at sea (My kids loved Believe, but I was more of a Villains Tonight fan)

4) Oceaneers Club and Lab - My oldest loved that he could do some activites on his own, or participate with the group - his favorite activity by far was Super Sloppy Science (a crazy scientist does things like drop Mentos in a bottle of Coke - the kids all get to wear lab coats - great activity) I also liked the fact that there were open house times were my kids and I could play in the kids clubs together.

5) Fireworks - Beginning with Jack Sparrow jumping of the top of the funnel - it was an amazing show

6) Goofy Golf - very cutely themed with separate paths for the young and old

7) Animators Pallatte - the most fun my kids have ever had in a dining room on a ship - the look on my wife and kids' faces when they realized that they were in a conversation with an animated character was priceless

8) Just a lot of little touches here and there that reeked of class and the right way to do things

However, I did feel that we always ended up where the crowd was when we took the kids anywhere on the ship. When it was just the adults, it felt like a ghost town. If you are ok with that, I would definitely go for it.

We haven't done Enchantment yet, but have many experiences with other RCI ships, and my kids prefer AO over the Disney kids program. We did the Dream 2 years ago, in the summer, and the kids area was fun for DD, she was 6 at the time, but she didn't like it because it was crazy crowded all the time. She preferred to be with us at the pool. This is never the case wi AO, she never wants to be with us!

DH wasn't impressed with the food, he's usually one to go for several entrees and desserts, and he lost weight, lol. I looked the veggie options, so mixed reviews for you that part.

Ports...both do Nassau and a private island stop. Castaway Cay is the winner hands down over Cocoa Cay. We really liked our days there (we were on a 5 night with 2 visits there ). One thing to consider is you'll be traveling in peak hurricane season, and though a close storm may not be an issue, if the waters are the least bit rough, Cocoa Cay can be missed if its not safe to tender. Dream has a pier to use,,so it's not an issue there.

So, there's my comparisons...if given a choice, my family would choose RCI every time. I still cruise DCL with my friends, because surprisingly they are the best at keeping kids separate, and and that's what we want, lol.

Archived