Balconies on the Caribbean Princess

kmcg14

I am planning a cruise on the Caribbean Princess. I am addicted to balcony cabins!

I called Princess twice to find out about the covering/shade on the balcony.

I was told that most of the balconies are not private and that people can look down on the balconies except for the Baha deck.

I called again to ask how much shade were on the "not private" balconies and I was told all the balcony cabins are private.

Does anyone know the truth?

Also, how big are the balcony cabins as compared to the Zuiderdam?

Thanks so much!

Karen

The Riviera, Aloha, and Baha balconies are all uniform, covered and quite private. The Caribe balconies are half covered and half uncovered. They jut out from the side of the ship. They are the largest balconies on the ship. The Dolphin balconies are completely exposed and can be seen from all of the levels above as they jut out even further than those on the Caribe deck. I hope that answers your question. I assure you that this is accurate since I have sailed the Caribbean Princess twice, once last June and on the June 4, 2005 sailing. Click on this link to see a couple of photos I took of the balconies:

http://community.webshots.com/album/163544676IXfbis

The Monk

Monk said it all. :) I've never been on the Zuiderdam so I don't know how to compare the balconies. The Caribe deck balconies are much larger than the other standard balconies but they're half covered, half exposed. They're probably as large as you'll find anywhere else without going to a suite or mini-suite but they are also priced more than other standard balcony cabins.

Note that even the covered balconies are not completely "private," i.e., someone relaxing by leaning on their railing next to you can see around the "wall" or whatever you call it.

Monk, your pictures were fantastic, thanks for sharing! Today we booked the CB for 9/3/05 with a mini-suite and I'm really excited. :) I am really impressed with your pictures of the penthouse-suite and I am already getting itchy to upgrade. I have never sailed Princess before, but it looks like CB is a great way to start!

Maria

mariakitty,

Thanks. I think you will love the CB. Here's a link to my very long review of it from last year when we were in R405, Riviera Deck:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=49514

We loved the ship so much, we just got back from a second cruise on her to the Western Caribbean, June 4-11, in D316. Here's the review of that one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=189789&highlight=monk888

And here are some great shots of the CB taken by nicecara including the delicious lobster buffet:D:

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=285271206&key=ygHrvX

And if that's not enough, check out this site re the CB:

www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com

The Monk

Hi Monk! I read the wonderful reviews of your 2 cruises on the CP and found them to be a wealth of information. Thank you for taking the time to write these!

They left me with one question tho...how are you doing with convincing your wife to accompany you on another cruise???

Monk, your pictures were fantastic, thanks for sharing! Today we booked the CB for 9/3/05 with a mini-suite and I'm really excited. :) I am really impressed with your pictures of the penthouse-suite and I am already getting itchy to upgrade. I have never sailed Princess before, but it looks like CB is a great way to start!

Maria

We will be on the CB on 9/3 too! We are in B708, port side towards the back of the ship. First time on Princess too!

Hi Monk,

How was the air conditioning on the ship? I've had several clients on this ship, and this seems to be the only complaint they had.

Barry

We had no problem whatsoever with the AC, either in our PH Suite last year or in the mini-suite this year. I too have heard this complaint about the ship many times, and I think I know what the problem is.

Each cabin has at least one thermostat. During the day, you need to set that thing as low as it will go, especially on port days. What I think is happening is that, at night, folks tend to turn their thermostats up (warmer) because it can get very cold in the cabin if left on the lowest/lower settings through the night. But when that Caribbean sun starts to shine, look out if you have those black out drapes open! Even with the sliding glass doors being heavily treated to bllock the Sun's rays, that sunshine gets in and can heat up that cabin fast.

Every day, before we left the cabin, we pulled the white, transparent drapes shut and pulled the black out drapes shut by half. I also turned the AC thermostat down all the way. This "system" worked very well as long as the cabin steward didn't come along and open them back up. We were never uncomfortable.

Hope that helps.

Hi Monk! I read the wonderful reviews of your 2 cruises on the CP and found them to be a wealth of information. Thank you for taking the time to write these!

They left me with one question tho...how are you doing with convincing your wife to accompany you on another cruise???

Thanks for your kind words about the reviews. As you can tell, I love that ship. I truly do. I'd hop on it this weekend to wherever it was going in a heartbeat. The minute I step onto the deck, I feel at home. It's really amazing, even to me. Perhaps I was a sailor in one of my many prior lives. :D

That said, the Wife does not share my feelings for cruising. As I stated in my review, we hit Tropical Storm Arlene. Even though it wasn't that bad at all, that was all it took for her. She has not relented one bit. I got in a Captain's Circle magazine the other day with some great cruises to New England. I showed her the page and she just about tore my head off. I think it's way too soon to even mention cruising to her. I find that spouse's are often like bread dough...you need to leave them alone to get a rise out of them.;) Time will tell. Thanks for your question.

My wife and I are going on 12/3 we have a balconie room on the Lido deck L250 BA how are these they look private to me

Yes, the balconies on the Lido, Riviera, Aloha, and Baja are quite private. They line up and do not protrude out from the ship as do those on the Caribe and the Dolphin decks. Of course, you are at the very top deck on the ship for cabins. It should be very nice for you.

Air Conditioning. If not working properly .. at least on the newer ships.. COMPLAIN. They can set the 'dampers' by computer to give you more or less air flow (and air flow improves cooling).

Balcony. We had an aft suite on a trans-canal (cannot recall ship). On the Mega-Grand ships the aft balconies are straight up and down. This ship the balconies are very private .. I could not see the one below .. and the one above could only see a little of our space. They are angled into the stern of the ship very nicely .. and a junior suite is next door .. and they cannot see around the wall without REALLY trying (we traded some food). On the other side .. is a stairwell I think so no one is on that side at all.

The reason I comment on both .. we invited our table to the suite during the Panama Canal transit day .. interesting viewpoint from the stern. The AC would not handle itself at the end of a hot port day when we were in the sun .. and I wanted to doors open for the reception .. and asked the Steward. 15 minutes later an engineer with computer came and said YUP you need more air .. I think now you will freeze! And we did! It was great to open to the warmth, the chill the suite back down for sleeping and such.

On the Grand .. we had a mini-suite mid-ships .. and yes . downward ALL the next level balconies were wide open to view.

It sounds like from your 'worry' about the balcony you may be needing to find that special beach I think on St Maarten .. where clothing is optional! Thats where all the crew go for the day!

Thanks for the A/C info. I will remind my clients that if they encounter this problem, they need to complain to the pursors desk. My family of 5 will be on the Caribbean Princess in May of 06, but I have quite a few clients on this ship in Oct. of this year.

Thanks,

Barry

• 1 month later...

Hello again Monk:

Your post about the coverage of the balcoinies on different decks has been useful again:)

We booked a guaranteed cabin on the least expensive balcony catetgory.

I just received notice that we were upgraded to the Caribe deck - but I declined because of your info that it was only partailly covered.

I really need a full covered balcony - so I am grateful for your info.:D

Karen

Archived